Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bubby of kallah

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 1:41 am
Looking for suggestions for a upper-70s bubby of the kallah, family chose teal/jade/turquoise. Trying to figure out what she should wear. Probably a size 14-16W. Late fall wedding.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 6:36 am
How is bubby's mobility? And pain level? I would get something light and easy to put on and move in. Something a bit flowy instead of a stiffer material.

For bubby's ease, also consider something all in one piece instead of needed a sweater or shrug to complete the look.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 6:53 am
Also, Google grandmother of the bride dress, and filter your considerations for bubby, such as skirt length, sleeve length, one piece

Most dresses that come are more flowy, less stiff/gown, there are still a few, but if you get to specific at first it might be harder to find

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 8:46 am
So I hear what all of you are saying--but I need actual dress suggestions/styles. She's worn gowns to other weddings--but they were in more "classic" colors--navy/maroon etc so we found at a gemach. In this case Teal/aqua/jade turquoise is harder to find in her size/style, but I can see Silver/Gray working as well--I know she hates black. A lot of what I'm seeing needs seeing significant alterations

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 8:48 am
Would kallah be willing to compromise and let bubby and others in the wedding party her age wear silver/gray?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 8:52 am
singleagain wrote:
Would kallah be willing to compromise and let bubby and others in the wedding party her age wear silver/gray?

I think so, but I still need actual dress recommendations. I think something in the $100 range would be best. Prefer to buy this time than go to a gemach. But need something that doesn't need TOO many alterations but also good neckline and not see through sleeves.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 8:54 am
what's bubby's style/movability?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:01 am
singleagain wrote:
what's bubby's style/movability?

So she's independently mobile--no cane or walker, but she doesn't do a lot of walking or dancing. She would prefer something that doesnt' affect her feet while walking. Other than that, I can see different styles working for her.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
So she's independently mobile--no cane or walker, but she doesn't do a lot of walking or dancing. She would prefer something that doesnt' affect her feet while walking. Other than that, I can see different styles working for her.

Why not take some time to shop online with her?

cm

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 2:49 pm
Personally, I think the grandmother should feel free to choose the color of her dress.

About sheer sleeves: as much as I dislike the "shell underneath" look with low-cut or sleeveless dresses, I have found a shell to be an attractive, useful and easy way to line sleeves, as long as the sleeve length and neckline of the dress match that of the shell.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 4:11 pm
cm wrote:
Personally, I think the grandmother should feel free to choose the color of her dress.

About sheer sleeves: as much as I dislike the "shell underneath" look with low-cut or sleeveless dresses, I have found a shell to be an attractive, useful and easy way to line sleeves, as long as the sleeve length and neckline of the dress match that of the shell.

Using this line of thinking, a lace top with a teal shell would be an easy solution. I'm thinking a black lace top either as a dress or with a nice skirt.
A bubby could wear a midcalf length.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 4:33 pm
Does the grandmother really have to wear the same color as all the younger women? Maybe a navy dress would coordinate well enough?

I got married 2 months after my cousin and my grandmother already had a beautiful dress from the earlier wedding. It didn't quite match my color scheme but it didn't clash and I wasn't going to insist that she go through the hassle of getting a whole new dress. Then it turned out that DH's grandmother had a dress hanging in her closet that was pretty much the same color as my grandmother's so it worked out really nicely and looked like it was coordinated.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 4:36 pm
cm wrote:

This ^ I'm the Bubby at my grandson's wedding next year. We Bubbies will be picking our own colors and fashions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics