Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Solar eclipse glasses. Brooklyn/Catskills/online
1  2  Next

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 8:25 pm
Where can I purchase genuine solar eclipse glasses at a reasonable price?

dani'smommy

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:00 pm
I got at B&H a few weeks ago when they were on sale. Right now they're selling them for more than I paid, but they're genuine and decently priced.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c......html

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:03 pm
Many libraries are giving them away free so are fire depts and emergency services. NASA and other scientific groups have funded millions of pairs so that folks can observe the eclipse safely. If not just make a pinhole camera, or make one anyway and enjoy it with your kids. (A cereal box makes a great one.)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:30 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Many libraries are giving them away free so are fire depts and emergency services. NASA and other scientific groups have funded millions of pairs so that folks can observe the eclipse safely. If not just make a pinhole camera, or make one anyway and enjoy it with your kids. (A cereal box makes a great one.)

In Brooklyn, only the Clinton Hill library is distributing them, and I will not be going there.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:34 pm
dani'smommy wrote:
I got at B&H a few weeks ago when they were on sale. Right now they're selling them for more than I paid, but they're genuine and decently priced.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c......html

Thanks for the link. I am considering purchasing them.
Pardon my ignorance embarrassed
How necessary is it for each family member to own a pair? I am currently vacationing upstate and my kids are outdoors all day. Am I supposed to only allow them outdoors if they wear the glasses? Or is it designed for people who want to specifically check out the eclipse? Should we all remain indoors until the eclipse passes?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:34 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
In Brooklyn, only the Clinton Hill library is distributing them, and I will not be going there.

The name of the library is meaningless to me. Try some local colleges, universities etc.

cm

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:43 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Thanks for the link. I am considering purchasing them.
Pardon my ignorance embarrassed
How necessary is it for each family member to own a pair? I am currently vacationing upstate and my kids are outdoors all day. Am I supposed to only allow them outdoors if they wear the glasses? Or is it designed for people who want to specifically check out the eclipse? Should we all remain indoors until the eclipse passes?

The glasses are for looking at the sun, not just for being outdoors during the eclipse. No one should ever look directly are the sun without adequate protection. When interesting things are happening in the sky, it may be hard for kids to follow the rule, and a solar eclipse (even a partial one) is worth seeing. So it would be best for everyone to have a pair. The glasses are just cardboard pieces and don't necessarily stay on so easily, so younger children need to be closely watched and assisted.

Last edited by cm on Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:44 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
The name of the library is meaningless to me. Try some local colleges, universities etc.

Magenta, I'm aware that you're not a Brooklynite LOL Thanks anyway, but there is no free distribution in my area at all, that I know of.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 9:47 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Magenta, I'm aware that you're not a Brooklynite LOL Thanks anyway, but there is no free distribution in my area at all, that I know of.

Life is different here on the outer edges of the Jewniverse in the Mocha Latte Belt. Cool <note glasses.

Make a pinhole camera, your family will enjoy it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:07 pm
Is it advisable for me to stay indoors, along with my kids, until the eclipse passes?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 10:15 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Is it advisable for me to stay indoors, along with my kids, until the eclipse passes?

I see no reason for it. A pinhole camera will show you the eclipse. You just don't look at the sun, which is something people aren't supposed to do anyway without proper protective gear.

The leaves on a tree also function as a camera obscura. If you have big leafed trees that will be in full sun during the eclipse you can look at their shadows and see the eclipse. (Maples work really well and some bigger leafed oaks.)

I'm in the path of totality. I had to go out and buy stamps and the parking lot of the biggest grocery in town was loaded with RVs with out of state plates.My county which encompasses lots of rural and agricultural land has 85,000 people. Apparently we're expecting 500k to land here...I live in the county seat. Hahahhhhaaaa. LOL

married123

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:13 pm
I saw them on krm today in bp. Fyi for abt $5

pause

Post Thu, Aug 10 2017, 11:38 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

You don't want to see it???

You can get them at Lowe's for 2.50/each.

blueberrypie

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 2:22 am
Did I miss something? Is there a solar eclipse coming up? When? Can it be seen from Monticello?

pause

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 7:43 am
blueberrypie wrote:
Did I miss something? Is there a solar eclipse coming up? When? Can it be seen from Monticello?
Monday August 21. It will be visible from all of US. Monticello is not in the path of totality but you'll be seeing a nice partial eclipse. Google the Great American Eclipse. It's all over the news the last half a year or so.

esther11

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 10:18 am
We are driving along the east coast that day, so we will try to be in South Carolina to see the total eclipse!
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old tho...what's the safest option for them? My 3 year old may keep on the glasses but I can't imagine the baby leaving them or looking at a pinhole box...

momX3

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 11:13 am
As some explained earlier, there is no need for glasses unless you are looking at the sun. No one should ever look directly at the sun as it can cause blindness. They are selling a lot of these glasses now, because people will want to look at the sun to see the eclipse. So there is no problem being outside when the partial or total eclipse is visible, unless you think your kids will look up towards the sun.

Also be aware that not all glasses are protective, so make sure to get reputable ones. From what I have read, the way to check the glasses is to look through them and you shouldn't see anything except the sun.

pause

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 12:20 pm
momX3 wrote:
As some explained earlier, there is no need for glasses unless you are looking at the sun. No one should ever look directly at the sun as it can cause blindness. They are selling a lot of these glasses now, because people will want to look at the sun to see the eclipse. So there is no problem being outside when the partial or total eclipse is visible, unless you think your kids will look up towards the sun.

Also be aware that not all glasses are protective, so make sure to get reputable ones. From what I have read, the way to check the glasses is to look through them and you shouldn't see anything except the sun.

The only way to ensure that you're getting reputable glasses is to buy them from a reputable merchant. Unfortunately, there are people who are putting counterfeit ISO numbers on glasses. Here's a list. https://eclipse.aas.org/resour.....lters

esther11

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:03 pm
momX3 wrote:

If we are driving to go and see the total eclipse specifically, of course we need glasses or some other method! The question is just how best to manage it with little ones. If my husband and I are both looking up with glasses on, you can bet my 3 year old will want to join the fun. My baby is the curious type (what baby isn't!) so I just don't know if she will look up or continue playing as usual, I want to best protect her just in case

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 11 2017, 1:11 pm
esther11 wrote:
We are driving along the east coast that day, so we will try to be in South Carolina to see the total eclipse!
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old tho...what's the safest option for them? My 3 year old may keep on the glasses but I can't imagine the baby leaving them or looking at a pinhole box...

No need to bother with kids this young seeing the eclipse. They have several occurring during their life spans and when they are old enough to appreciate them. My suggestion would keep the kids contained in an area that is shaded and not facing the sun.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics