Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Not making aliyah...but what's the next best thing?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 10:41 am
I really want to make aliyah but it's impractical for many reasons. No. 1 being my DH does not as he is very risk averse and half glass empty type. No. 2 is we don't know the language. My kids are either middle school age or approaching it. They have all been to Israel and love it and even though they may be all on-board with moving to Israel, the practicality is that if the move is a fail during teenage years, it really does a number on their education. Teenage years are hard enough.

It's just so nice to be in a Jewish land and most people around being Jewish. Even in the middle of nowhere.

My ideal alternative, aside from making aliyah, is owning an apartment in Israel and traveling there in the summer and renting it out the rest of the time. I think the fact that I "own something in Israel" in some ways, will temper my feeling of missed opportunity (of not moving to Israel). We can't possibly afford a place in major metro areas or Jlem.

We couldn't stay the whole summer. at best, my DH and I, each, could stay a few weeks. We are both fine with traveling alone with the kids so, I could stay for 2 or 3 weeks and my DH could stay for 2-3 weeks and then the kids could have potentially 6 weeks every year in Israel. And we would have to rent a car.

I presume there are rental management places in Israel like in the states if we rented out a a home that we bought.

The less romantic and more practical option is just renting a place for a month every year instead of owning. From airbnb.

Crazy idea, right?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 10:45 am
No, not crazy. Plenty of people do it and there are huge advantages to the family having at least that experience.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 10:49 am
May I suggest Switzerland? Alps are beautiful

Coffee Addict

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
May I suggest Switzerland? Alps are beautiful

Op wants something specific in ISRAEL. there are tons of beautiful vacation places in the world. That's not her question. Israel is her goal here.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:14 am
Trying to think how this will work going forward. You can buy an apt in a small town and rent it out monthly or as an airbnb during the time you are not here.

Of course, will your teenage kids want to spend summers here? It is hot, and you won't be in a major city where there are likely to be other olim. What will they do here? I suppose you could buy somewhere with a sizable Anglo population, but not in downtown J'lam or Tel-Aviv. Efrat? Would your risk-averse DH go for that idea?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 1:00 pm
I have relatives who come for a stretch of a few months every few years. They enroll their kids in specific Israeli schools, (with large Anglo student body). So the kids are emersed in Israeli culture. They live in the Southern hemisphere so they do it over summer vacation there and the kids don't lose so much school. You could send your kids to camp here every summer if the school thing doesn't work for you.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 1:21 pm
Just adding to previous replies, are your kids in Bnei Akiva? If not, would you or they be adverse to their joining, assuming there's a branch where you live? The next best thing as I see it is kids wanting to make aliyah when they finish high school- it's a lot easier to break into the culture and gain fluency in Hebrew in the army or sherut leumi since you don't need to concentrate on academics and everyone your age is doing something new. Hopefully you can make aliyah after them, whether before or after retirement.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 5:04 pm
Probably would need a more Anglo community for my DH to be a little more comfortable and the kids to have someone to socialize with.

I was thinking, the kids will have to decide to make aliyah on their own and we could follow them after when they are all out of the house and on their own. That is gonna be a while.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:53 pm
I married dh knowing that he did not share my passion for eretz Yisrael or aliya. For now, I'm content to talk to my children about the importance of eretz Yisrael and that a Jew outside of Israel is never at home. It gives me solace that my oldest child has already begun to absorb this lesson.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
I married dh knowing that he did not share my passion for eretz Yisrael or aliya. For now, I'm content to talk to my children about the importance of eretz Yisrael and that a Jew outside of Israel is never at home. It gives me solace that my oldest child has already begun to absorb this lesson.

I really feel for you and understand your passion and love for Eretz Yisroel. The hashkafa you are are giving over to your children is exactly right and is the point... I know you will not believe me but, when you think like this, it does not matter where you are. No matter where you are you will still be in galut, and as long as you long for Hshem and to be in the land He gave us, I believe one day you will be zoiche to be here, when it will be ratzon H.

I agree with your fears regarding your children's education. It is not a hard and fast rule, but highly likely there would be difficult adjustment issues. HOWEVER, each person's issurim here are different. Eretz Hakodesh is not like any other country, and the hashgacha is very strong here. If you are willing to do ratzon Hshem all the time, all should be well.Smile However, we are usually not on that level... and we struggle...

It very much depends where you are holding religiously, what "category" you are in.Smile Some "categories" do better here than others.

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 3:25 am
I found this thread helpful (No subject)

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....rt=40

chinuch issues when making aliyah and the article is also interesting though it is from 2005. It makes points. Still, there is a Hshem in the world and He can help you if that is His Ratzon..

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 4:09 pm
I don't have advice, but in a way, I can relate to you. My kids are still young (one just started elementary) and I always think about Israel. It's harder for me because I was born and grew up in Israel, moved to the US with family and now most family moved back. I speak to my kids in hebrew so the language barrier won't be as difficult. However, my husband (not Israeli), is not 100% supportive of the idea to move to Israel. I keep on telling him that the longer we stay here (and kids get older), the harder it will get to move. But we're also not in a great financial situation and we can't move to a different country without a little bit of savings. So I'm hoping that it will happen one day. However, in the meantime, I think you are doing the right thing to educate your kids about Israel and to love the country. I know of many people that ended up staying in the US, however, their kids moved to Israel. I know two girls that after HS, they willingly joined IDF and then they got married over there and just stayed in Israel. So I'm hoping that if I won't be able to move back, that my kids will be able to do the right move when they're older.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 6:24 pm
Car rental is no way near USA prices. And gas is $100 a day from Modiin to Jlem just one ride back and forth!!!!!! This goes back five years ago. Imagine today it's probably more.
Gas is mighty expensive.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
Car rental is no way near USA prices. And gas is $100 a day from Modiin to Jlem just one ride back and forth!!!!!! This goes back five years ago. Imagine today it's probably more.
Gas is mighty expensive.

Gas required to drive round trip from Modiin to Jlem does *not* cost $100.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions