Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you read a jewish newspaper in the bathroom?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:19 am
I'm not looking for a psak. I'm just curious if people read newspapers like the yated and the jewish press while using the bathroom. Certainly there is divrei torah In the paper, a vort on the parsha, and picures of gedolim. Thoughts?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:22 am
I don't. My husband does (not the Yated, only Lakewood weeklies like the voice and shopper, which have divrei Torah etc)

Zeleze

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:23 am
DH does, I make it quick Smile

water_bear88

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:37 am
Nope. I try to be careful with Israeli papers even if they aren't religious- I've discovered that at least two of the general papers have a regular dvar Torah or a religious columnist who may include a dvar Torah.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:15 pm
Absolutely not.
FTR I don't read in the john at all, which is my opinion a disgraceful habit, but if I did, I would most assuredly not choose a religious publication. I would not choose even a secular Hebrew publication because a. They often have at least a column on the Parasha or some other religious-cultural topic and b. Even secular speech and writing often contains expressions from Tanach and Talmud.They're being used in a secular sense and dont make the paper shaimos --the writers may not even know that the expression is of Biblical origin--but it is still not appropriate for the bathroom. And you never know when a secular writer is going to quote a whole passuk from Tanach. It is, after all, our national literature.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:17 pm
Only if there's interesting articles!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not looking for a psak. I'm just curious if people read newspapers like the yated and the jewish press while using the bathroom. Certainly there is divrei torah In the paper, a vort on the parsha, and picures of gedolim. Thoughts?

used to be a joke if you can take the jewish press OUT of the bathroom lol

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:19 am
If it's written it's for geniza then no.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:21 am
I buy a food network magazine or bon apetite to read in the bathroom. Its become a joke with my kids calling it my bathroom magazine.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:33 am
My motto is to get in and out. That is all. No magazines and most of all NO SMARTPHONES!

Puke Puke Puke

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:36 am

tf

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:41 am
I don't allow it at all. "Ppl" forget to come out of there, and others also need the "space"

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:57 am
My mother's teacher was once asked if you can take the Hamodia into the bathroom? So she said you can't take it out! (She is anti Israel blah blah).
Of course we have the hamodia we take it in and out of the bthrm. Lol. The same teacher called my mother an apikores for asking proof that har sinai happened. So yeah I won't ask her my halachic questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics