Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sofa doesn't fit door. disassemble in factory and reasemble?
1  2  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 1:40 pm
I thought every sofa would fit a doorway, the depth from front to back wouldn't fit. don't they make those standard size? but, we bought a sofa that didn't fit our front door so they returned it to the warehouse. Salesman said they can have a separate company disassemble it in the warehouse and reassemble it in our home for a fee. Besides the fact that it's expensive, I'm worried that this will make it less sturdy and prone to breaking. If you have done this or know someone who has can you comment on whether it held up, was durable? Are there any other options? (It won't fit through our windows either or side entrance.)

SingALong

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 1:46 pm
When I had a couch delivered the furniture store delivery guys delivered it in separate pieces and assembled it inside the room where it's supposed to go. It was a sectional, can't work otherwise

esuss

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:49 pm
Would it help to have handyman take off doorposts and then replace that after sofa delivery?

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:54 pm
You can take the door off if all you need is an extra inch or so.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:54 pm
Happened to my mom. She got a chair and loveseat instead of one large couch. Depending on the couchs construction, disassembling could weaken the structure of the piece of furniture.

I know someone who got an expensive piece delivered from Italy only to discover it didn't fit through any door or window. Instead, they took apart some of the houses roof, and patched it up again all for a furniture piece.

Having said that, I would opt for something smaller. Once you start taking these things apart, many times, it's never the same.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 3:20 pm
This sofa was already assembled, so they would disassemble and then reasseumble. Even if they took off the door they still wouldn't have enough room. We need a few more inches. Mrs dash, thats what I'm thinking too. Does anyone have a comfortable leather couch, top grain or full grain leather, not bonded, that would fit a narrower door that you can recommend?

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 3:28 pm
Don't know if this helps but there is a company in New York that specializes in disassembling furniture and getting it settled through narrow New York City doors and hallways.

They do it at your home.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:28 pm
Amarante wrote:
Don't know if this helps but there is a company in New York that specializes in disassembling furniture and getting it settled through narrow New York City doors and hallways.

They do it at your home.

thanks the store gave us the name of the company that does this, but im wondering if it will be weaker after disassembling it once

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:31 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Happened to my mom. She got a chair and loveseat instead of one large couch. Depending on the couchs construction, disassembling could weaken the structure of the piece of furniture.

I know someone who got an expensive piece delivered from Italy only to discover it didn't fit through any door or window. Instead, they took apart some of the houses roof, and patched it up again all for a furniture piece.

Having said that, I would opt for something smaller. Once you start taking these things apart, many times, it's never the same.

Even the loveseat wouldn't fit because it's the width that's the problem not the length.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:34 pm
amother wrote:
thanks the store gave us the name of the company that does this, but im wondering if it will be weaker after disassembling it once

I have no idea but here's an article about the various companies who do it in NYC.

You could call and ask them how they do it and put it back together so that it isn't weakened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05......html

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12......html

Yelp reviews of various companies

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sofa-.....-york

https://www.yelp.com/biz/new-y.....-york

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:26 pm
We've done this. We had a corner apartment where you kind of had to turn right when you come in so the couch didn't fit in that turn. We know someone personally who's a furniture repair guy and we had him do it. They sent it back to the warehouse, he disassembled it there, we had it delivered like that to our apartment, where he came and reassembled it.

We moved out of that apartment a few years later and we did the same thing again. He did a great job and the couch held up great bh. I highly recommend this guy without reservation, if you're still considering going this route. Feel free to pm me.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:34 pm
I bought my current couch on sale from a well respected furniture store locally. They never charged me to disassemble my couch in order to get it inside my unit. And they did not void the lifetime guaranty.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:51 pm
We had this happen. For about $150ish, we had a window company remove a big living room window, and then replace it a few min later. This only works if there is a big window in the room the couch will go in.

cone

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:00 pm
I bought a sofa from Macy's. They come down to your house to make sure it fits in before they deliver, and if it doesn't fit you get your money back. I have a narrow door and hallway leading to the room where I put it and it fit. I just don't see my sofa there anymore to link it. Might be worth it to try, they have a sale on furniture now...

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I bought my current couch on sale from a well respected furniture store locally. They never charged me to disassemble my couch in order to get it inside my unit. And they did not void the lifetime guaranty.

which store?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:52 pm
cone wrote:
I bought a sofa from Macy's. They come down to your house to make sure it fits in before they deliver, and if it doesn't fit you get your money back. I have a narrow door and hallway leading to the room where I put it and it fit. I just don't see my sofa there anymore to link it. Might be worth it to try, they have a sale on furniture now...

this is where we bought ours from, when it didn't fit they took it back but the salesman asked if we wanted to disassemble and reassemble it.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
which store?

I don't live in the east coast Jewniverse.

But if this is a problem and you pay someone to disassemble your couch and reassemble it, your guaranty/warranty may be voided. Talk to the manufacturer to find out what their policy is.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:53 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
We've done this. We had a corner apartment where you kind of had to turn right when you come in so the couch didn't fit in that turn. We know someone personally who's a furniture repair guy and we had him do it. They sent it back to the warehouse, he disassembled it there, we had it delivered like that to our apartment, where he came and reassembled it.

We moved out of that apartment a few years later and we did the same thing again. He did a great job and the couch held up great bh. I highly recommend this guy without reservation, if you're still considering going this route. Feel free to pm me.

where is he located?

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
where is he located?

Far Rockaway, and he definitely travels.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 11:11 pm
When we moved into our apartment, we had our furniture delivered using a lift that shoved everything in through our large living room window. Is that an option for you?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics