Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Imamothers, need your advice ASAP
1  2  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:49 pm
Here's the story - my husband was supposed to receive commission pay, which was supposed to pay for camp and pay up previous year's tuition. Now, he found out that he's not getting it all at once, but in installments over time. The problem is that I can't sign up the kids for school without the money.
Let's skip the shalom bais issues and financial mishandling. I need to take the matter into my hand and I have very little time. My plan is to open a 0 APR credit card to pay for these expenses, but also I want to sell a bunch of stuff to make at least part of the money. A few questions for those in the know:
Does anyone have a recommendation for selling gold/silver broken jewelry? I'm in Brooklyn, btw. If I want to sell books is Amazon the best option or anyone had better luck with other websites? Used clothing - have a few dresses I wore only once to my kids bar mitzvahs. I work full time, anyone knows of Sunday job or one time gigs that really pay and how to find them. If you have other ideas I haven't mentioned that would bring in 5K asap I would appreciate. ( We were supposed to get 15K, but need at least some money to pay for the credit card) Thank you all in advance. I know imamothers will come up with ideas for me Smile

penguin

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:59 pm
Have you considered gemachs? Maybe the person who owes your husband the money can co-sign, or at least guarantee the money is coming?

fish

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 5:09 pm
Pm me about selling gold if your serious. I have contact with a refiner who may be willing to buy your stuff (if its more then just a few small things). He is the one jewelers sell their stuff to after they buy it from ppl like you so your cutting out the middle man and will make more money.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 5:49 pm
penguin wrote:
Have you considered gemachs? Maybe the person who owes your husband the money can co-sign, or at least guarantee the money is coming?

No, didn't think of gemachs. But now that you mention it, I'll keep it in mind as last resort. I do appreciate the idea, penguin, thank you.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 5:51 pm
fish wrote:
Pm me about selling gold if your serious. I have contact with a refiner who may be willing to buy your stuff (if its more then just a few small things). He is the one jewelers sell their stuff to after they buy it from ppl like you so your cutting out the middle man and will make more money.

I mostly have silver and a few small gold pieces. Does your person deal with silver too?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 5:56 pm
Don't sell any jewelry that has sentimental value to you, especially if it silver. You won't get much $ for it and the emotional loss can be difficult.

You have the commission $ coming to you. Can your school talk to your husband's boss to clarify that it is coming? Will they honor that?
Working full time plus taking in another job is not good for your sanity or shalom bayis or nerves. It's taxing on you and the family.
Just a thought.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:05 pm
It seems to me that the person who owes your husband the money should be selling his his silver and gold and doing the borrowing.

Your husband did his part, he made his sales. The business owner at the time should have paid him out of the proceeds. What did he do with the money owing your husband?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:42 pm
Not selling family silver, just yet. No worries.
I'd rather not even start regarding my husband and his job, it's too upsetting. I'll try to do the best I can to keep my kids in school. It's way too late to send them to public schools after years in Yeshivahs
If anyone sold their things online or otherwise and has any tips, I will appreciate your help. Thank you

tichellady

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:56 pm
Can you look into getting an interest free loan from a Jewish free loan association?

crust

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:56 pm
OP you seem so driven. I hope this is not causing you too much stress.
How much money do you need to have?

There are institutions that place and pay kids in yeshivos if there's a doubt that they can potentially end off in PS.
Nechamas Yisroel I think. (I hope I'm not too exhausted, and I'm giving correct info)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:17 pm
So I was approved for a 0 APR + 0 APR on transfers for 12 month card. So that's done, but I need a way to pay the card. At one time there were advertisements all over re: buying gold/ silver for cash. Alas, today I walked to all the places I thought I saw the signs and didn't see any but one place, which happened to be closed on Sunday. Where, oh where can I get my stuff appraised for sale? in other news, I looked into Amazon seller and apparently there is a $40 a month fee to sell through them, besides fee per sale. That's not going to work for me. If I give my stuff to someone who already has an Amazon account, how much do they usually charge? Anyone here has an idea? Tia

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
So I was approved for a 0 APR + 0 APR on transfers for 12 month card...

What is the interest rate on charges? Won't you be charging the tuition to this account?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:40 pm
It's no interest for the first twelve month, as long as I make minimum payments. I'd like to pay it off with the commission whenever my husband does get it plus what extra I can make on the side.

workaholicmama

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:41 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
What is the interest rate on charges? Won't you be charging the tuition to this account?

If I understand correctly, it's 0Apr for purchases and transfers. I've had such cards in the past, and they really helped when money is tight but you have an idea of when you will get paid. Just remember that those cards usually come with a very high interest rate once the promotion period is up, so DH and I usually setup a payment plan ourselves where we paid every month a set amount of the debt, so by the time the promotion was up we were usually paid up.
Hatzlacha!!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:50 pm
workaholicmama wrote:
If I understand correctly, it's 0Apr for purchases and transfers. I've had such cards in the past, and they really helped when money is tight but you have an idea of when you will get paid. Just remember that those cards usually come with a very high interest rate once the promotion period is up, so DH and I usually setup a payment plan ourselves where we paid every month a set amount of the debt, so by the time the promotion was up we were usually paid up.
Hatzlacha!!

I get piles of this garbage in the mail, some have zero% on purchases and others don't reading the fine print is always a good idea. I've never had to carry a balance on a CC and frankly I get pretty good interest rates on my CC with my local credit union, no need for me to shop.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 2:25 am
amother wrote:
So I was approved for a 0 APR + 0 APR on transfers for 12 month card. So that's done, but I need a way to pay the card. At one time there were advertisements all over re: buying gold/ silver for cash. Alas, today I walked to all the places I thought I saw the signs and didn't see any but one place, which happened to be closed on Sunday. Where, oh where can I get my stuff appraised for sale? in other news, I looked into Amazon seller and apparently there is a $40 a month fee to sell through them, besides fee per sale. That's not going to work for me. If I give my stuff to someone who already has an Amazon account, how much do they usually charge? Anyone here has an idea? Tia

Why not sell things on Craigslist?

smilealot

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 2:36 am
amother wrote:

I like this idea of giving it to someone to sell for you. You sound like you are working really hard already and this way it'll hopefully bring money in but not be too much of a headache for you.
How about eBay?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 5:09 am
amother wrote:

eBay.
They takes 10% I think (with the different fees)

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 6:56 am
amother wrote:

Silver is selling for $17 an ounce. You'd have to have an awful lot of silver to make it worth your while to sell it, or to, make a dent in the payment.

If your items have value other than meltdown, you would do better to sell through ebay or another site. Eg, a signed piece by David Yurman of Georg Jensen is worth a lot more than its meltdown value.

Have you spoken to the school(s) about the issue? Maybe they can give you the extra time, until you receive the bonus payment, since you are promising to pay in the long run.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 7:24 am
Thank you, will look into eBay tonight!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics