Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
CTLE hours - question for NY teachers & educators
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 9:41 pm
Hi! I'm a p3 provider and I work directly for the NY Board of Ed. (I work in a frum school and bill on my own.) When the new requirement for CTLE hours began last June, I was told I needed to register as active and complete the hours, as I am considered working for the public school system. I am having a hard time finding courses/ lectures/ workshops nearby that provide hours accredited by the CTLE. Does anyone have any info on this? Should I contact my local public school? There is a list online of colleges that have been approved to give CTLE credit but the list is extremely overwhelming. If anyone knows of any additional helpful info (I.e local college/organization that provides classes) I would really appreciate it!

precious

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 9:46 pm
Are you saying that any workshops I go to don't count towards professional development hours anymore? They have to accredited by CTLE?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 14 2017, 10:03 pm
the way I understand it, all my previous accumulated hours do not count for anything and I need to start over with CTLE approved ones. This is highly annoying as I was diligently spending a lot of time and money and effort on those classes! But please double check with someone else if my info is correct and if it applies to you. Not everyone has to fulfill CTLE requirements. If I'm wrong about my old hours not counting or of needing these new (harder to fulfill) hours, I would love to know!!!

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 1:05 am
As an independent SETSS provider you are NOT considered working for the DOE. You are an independent contractor, not an employee. You need to change your registration status to INACTIVE and then relax. I have this on good authority.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 2:29 pm
I really appreciate this info but when I called NYSED last summer, they told me I did have to register as active and complete the hours. Do you know who I can contact to be sure that I am exempt? I probably wouldn't relax til I have that in writing. Just my personality. Thanks.

(Just to clarify: the CTLE hours were supposed to replace regular professional development hours, so now I have to do neither?? Also, is there a way to register as inactive after I already registered as active?)

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 2:38 pm
I found this email response from CTLE@NYSED.gov

" I am unsure if this requirement applies to me. I am a contracted SETTS provider. I work in a private school and I am paid by the NY Board of Education". –
If you are getting paid directly by the NY Board of Education, then you would be required to register as “Active”, even if you are contracted. If NY BoE pays you, the requirement applies.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 3:12 pm
Based on the email you pasted, they misunderstood your role. You are not on the DOE payroll. You can change your registration status. A lot of the NYSED people don't know what they're talking about.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 3:17 pm
seeker wrote:
Based on the email you pasted, they misunderstood your role. You are not on the DOE payroll. You can change your registration status. A lot of the NYSED people don't know what they're talking about.

She bills the DOE directly as an independent provider. She does not work for an agency. Are you sure it is different?

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 3:26 pm
Yes. I am in the same position and clarified this several times over because there was so much confusion at the beginning. An independent contractor is considered self-employed.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 3:28 pm
I really appreciate your help. I agree that the people at NYSED sometimes seem to be making up answers. But do you know who I can contact to get this (instructions to register as inactive) in writing?

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 3:39 pm
The paragraph below does not appear to describe what you do.

The new law also requires, beginning with the 2016-17 school year, that holders of a professional certificate in the classroom teaching service or educational leadership service and holders of a Level III Teaching Assistant certificate (but not holders of permanent certificates) who are practicing in a New York public school or board of cooperative educational services (BOCES) complete 100 hours of Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) during each five-year registration period. This is a change from the current requirement of 175 hours for those who hold professional certificates and from 75 to 100 hours for those who hold a Level III Teaching Assistant certificate.

http://schools.nyc.gov/Employe.....E.htm

also see

http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdon.....6.pdf

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:21 pm
Pretty much that ^
I don't remember where else I might have referenced but that sounds about right.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:24 pm
and this. You need to be active in PETS which is a different system then what the classroom teacher use.

http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices.....vider

What is required to become a SETSS or related services provider?

All providers are required to possess required credentials, and to have these credentials verified by a DOE representative. All providers must be registered, and showing as active and eligible in PETS in order to be authorized to provide services and invoice the DOE for such services. Providers not listed in PETS cannot invoice using Vendor Portal. The provider must maintain all such clearances for the full duration of the service provision and/or access to student records.
(Back to top)

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:35 pm
I think PETS has to do with payment or independent contracting. Totally different and separate from the CTLE thing.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 4:58 pm
seeker wrote:
I think PETS has to do with payment or independent contracting. Totally different and separate from the CTLE thing.

Okay. I thought the CTLE was tracked through TEACH - and SETSS don't need to register with TEACH.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
Okay. I thought the CTLE was tracked through TEACH - and SETSS don't need to register with TEACH.

That's correct.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:26 pm
OP here.
I appreciate everyone's help. I am registered on TEACH, and I thought that it was mandatory for SETTS providers to be registered there in order to receive professional certification, which I thought was necessary to have in order to be a SETTS provider. Is it possible that you graduated before they started giving professional certification and you have permanent certification instead? So you don't have to do the hours but I have to, in order to maintain professional?
I'd appreciate any clarification... not looking for extra things to do but if I am required to do these hours, I would much rather find out now instead of in 5 years...
also, what on earth is PETS?? (Is it something I registered on 5 years ago when I started working as a SETTS provider and I now forgot about? Am I supposed to log in to it periodically??)
TIA

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:35 pm
I checked what PETS is and remembered I am registered with them. Just forgot about it. embarrassed
Thank you for posting those helpful links... one of them seems to say that if you hold professional certification, you have to complete the hours.

"PROFESSIONAL CLASSROOM TEACHER/ SCHOOL LEADER
PRACTICING IN AN NYS SCHOOL DISTRICT OR BOCES
ACTIVE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
100 HOURS OF CTLE IS REQUIRED DURING EVERY FIVE YEAR REGISTRATION PERIOD"

Is it possible to be a SETTS provider and not hold this certification???

If yes, maybe I would let mine expire and not do the hours.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
I checked what PETS is and remembered I am registered with them. Just forgot about it. embarrassed
Thank you for posting those helpful links... one of them seems to say that if you hold professional certification, you have to complete the hours.

"PROFESSIONAL CLASSROOM TEACHER/ SCHOOL LEADER
PRACTICING IN AN NYS SCHOOL DISTRICT OR BOCES
ACTIVE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
100 HOURS OF CTLE IS REQUIRED DURING EVERY FIVE YEAR REGISTRATION PERIOD"

Is it possible to be a SETTS provider and not hold this certification???

If yes, maybe I would let mine expire and not do the hours.

Why don't you email the person below.
Are you also registered on TEACH?

Who can I contact if I have a question about PETS?
Please contact Rita Venekas from the Division of Specialized Instruction ans Student Support (DSISS) at rveneka@schools.nyc.gov.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:58 pm
Ooook, let's see if I can sort this out for you:

1. TEACH is the website where you apply for and keep up your certification. Yes, all certified teachers have a TEACH account. Yes, in order to do SETSS you need to be a certified teacher and have a TEACH account.

2. Within the TEACH account you need to *register* as "active" or "inactive." This is something new so you may not have done it yet and will be able to see it when you log into TEACH.
A. You register as ACTIVE if you work FOR the public school system. When they say "practicing in a public school district" that's what they really mean (as far as I know every square inch of the USA is geographically in SOME public school district or another... practicing in the district means working for the district)
B. If you don't work for the school district/public school/BOCES, then you register as INACTIVE and then you do NOT have to do any CTLE... unless you get a PS job and then register as active.

3. PETS is some kind of personnel tracking system that you have to enter before providing SETSS. You do it once and then forget about it. This rveneka@schools.nyc.gov seems to be the only person who ever had anything to do with it so if you're not sure what your status is, just ask her. It's simple and you don't have to do anything except give her some information about yourself, I don't remember what, maybe your name and SSN? Whatever. No big deal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics