Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Antisemitism in Neutral Switzerland - Whoda Thunk It?
1  2  3  Next

mame1

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:56 pm
So there is a hotel in neutral Switzerland where lots of frum Jews stay because apparently, the city has kosher dining facilities. It has just been exposed that an Israeli family was staying there and was greeted with a sign by the pool saying something to the effect of: to our Jewish guests, all Jewish men,women,and children must to shower before entering the pool, otherwise the pool will be closed to them.

And there are actually people defending the statement.

Now the hotel has issued a statement (they call it an apology, but I think it's just a statement) that it was a mistranslation although that makes no sense to me because it was addressed just to the Jews and the sign should have read "to all hotel guests" not specifically to Jews.

And how do they know that the Jews that stay at that hotel do not shower before they stay in the pool. They say other guests know. How? Do they have cameras in the bathrooms? How do they know?

Besides the fact that they are saying Jews are filthy to the extreme that the chemicals in the pool can't even clean them, they are also telling Jews to get in a shower, and I feel like Europeans shouldn't be doing that.

Did anybody else hear about this? Any thoughts?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:06 pm
It has been getting good coverage nationally and internationally.

As to how someone could do this, well I would think Richard Spencer would be a good person to ask. I can't seem to find an email for him, perhaps just email @whitehouse.gov and they will forward your questions on to him or Steve Bannon.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:21 pm
Switzerland has long been politely anti-Semitic. Neutral to war does not equal accepting of Jews. This story disturbs me but does not shock me.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:27 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
It has been getting good coverage nationally and internationally.

As to how someone could do this, well I would think Richard Spencer would be a good person to ask. I can't seem to find an email for him, perhaps just email whitehouse.gov and they will forward your questions on to him or Steve Bannon.

IOW this, too, is the fault of the Trump administration? Rolling Eyes

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:40 pm
This was subsequent to Burkini pool cleaning fees.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.....3famp

Perhaps only Christians are clean enough to swim in pools in Europe.

The hotel has a large frum cliental and accommodates them by allowing them use of their freezer. It sounds like a one or a couple disgruntled staff found it disruptive to constantly be on call to get food.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:48 pm
Many pools do have a rule that you need to shower before going in. My local JCC has this rule. If you don't shower, the lifeguard at the pool can see that you are dry as you come into the pool area.

That being said, the incident is disturbing. The sign should not have singled out Jews, and whether or not this signifies a larger issue of anti-Semitism in Switzerland, there IS a larger issue of anti-Semitism in Switzerland.

Nothing new as Switzerland has been part of the radical left for quite some time.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 10:20 pm
groisamomma wrote:
IOW this, too, is the fault of the Trump administration? Rolling Eyes

Nope I was suggesting she find out from other anti semites why this sign was necessary.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:06 am
tigerwife wrote:
Switzerland has long been politely anti-Semitic. Neutral to war does not equal accepting of Jews. This story disturbs me but does not shock me.

I agree. Having spent a bit of time there, I can say that while the Swiss are neutral politically, that does not mean they are not anti-Semitic.

salt

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:39 am
Isn't there a shechita ban in Switzerland, probably been banned for 100 years I think. No one ever thought to lift it.
I always thought of Switzerland as quite an anti-Semitic country.
They also didn't allow Jews in before WW2. They have a lot to answer for.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 5:00 am
Wow that's extremely disturbing. Do you have a source for the story?
We were just in Switzerland and everyone was really nice actually. I was surprised because we always hear how it's very anti Semitic.
A little OT but Many people won't vacation in certain places due to its history or current situations.
My BIL refused to go to Switzerland with us because of the anti-semitism and refusal to allow Jews in during the Shoah. he perfers to go to Germany. We of course argued that the halocaust started there so he said let's go to Spain then. But that had the inquisition. France is also a no. Even england has a history.
I feel like the whole world was anti Semitic at one point, so you might just have to stay home... but one thing I'll never do is vacation in Germany.

leah233

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:02 am
SuperWify wrote:

My BIL refused to go to Switzerland with us because of the anti-semitism and refusal to allow Jews in during the Shoah. he perfers to go to Germany. We of course argued that the halocaust started there so he said let's go to Spain then.

What was his initial response to such an obvious question? How can anyone boycott Switzerland for not allowing people in during the holocaust but want to visit Germany instead?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:31 am
SuperWify wrote:
We were just in Switzerland and everyone was really nice actually. I was surprised because we always hear how it's very anti Semitic.
A little OT but Many people won't vacation in certain places due to its history or current situations.
My BIL refused to go to Switzerland with us because of the anti-semitism and refusal to allow Jews in during the Shoah. he perfers to go to Germany. We of course argued that the halocaust started there so he said let's go to Spain then. But that had the inquisition. France is also a no. Even england has a history.
I feel like the whole world was anti Semitic at one point, so you might just have to stay home... but one thing I'll never do is vacation in Germany.

Americans love to frighten themselves about Europe.
Also, Germany yes but not Switzerland or France and "England has a history"? Okay... I could never live like that. Jews even came back to Egypt.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:54 am
leah233 wrote:
What was his initial response to such an obvious question? How can anyone boycott Switzerland for not allowing people in during the holocaust but want to visit Germany instead?

I don't think he's right at all. (Personally I think it was an excuse not to come) I don't quite get his rationale either.
America did not let Jews in during the halocaust, does that mean I should not live there?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:57 am
Ruchel wrote:
Americans love to frighten themselves about Europe.
Also, Germany yes but not Switzerland or France and "England has a history"? Okay... I could never live like that. Jews even came back to Egypt.

1. He's not American, why do u assume?
2. Neither can I live like that and that is why I wrote in my op.
3. I'm in Europe right now and I went to many places with a history. But one place I will never go to as I said b4 is Germany. I can't answer for my bil, I don't get him either.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 2:04 pm
SuperWify wrote:

Don't go to Austria either, they invited the Germans in.

I'll never forget the time our family was on vacation, I was maybe 10 years old or so....a man recognized my father's Austrian accent, y'know, landsleit....was shmoozing with my father, and my father mentioned that his parents live there...and the man got hysterical and started shouting, he told my father to tell his parents to leave Austria at once, as the ground is saturated with Jewish blood...and how as a young man, they forced him to sweep the streets of Vienna with a toothbrush.

Maybe visit Denmark or Sweden.

sushilover

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 2:28 pm
I visited the country voted the most peaceful country in world: Iceland.
There was an RV rental company which would not rent to Jews. Sure we could've pretended to be Amish Wink , but we simply used a different, more expensive, company.

giselle

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 2:43 pm
Chayalle wrote:
and how as a young man, they forced him to sweep the streets of Vienna with a toothbrush.

I remember seeing that in a movie when I was younger. Never forgot that image.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 3:54 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Don't go to Austria either, they invited the Germans in.

I'll never forget the time our family was on vacation, I was maybe 10 years old or so....a man recognized my father's Austrian accent, y'know, landsleit....was shmoozing with my father, and my father mentioned that his parents live there...and the man got hysterical and started shouting, he told my father to tell his parents to leave Austria at once, as the ground is saturated with Jewish blood...and how as a young man, they forced him to sweep the streets of Vienna with a toothbrush.

Maybe visit Denmark or Sweden.

I usually agree with you, chayelle, but here I agree with the poor man in the story.
I'm sure your parents had a good reason to live there though.
Wow this comes to show how there is literally no place in the world without Jewish blood spilled on their hands.

And for those naysayers we still don't walk under the arch of Titus HaRasha even until today .

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 7:54 am
Many Jews worked/did business with Germany even as soon as the late 40s. Shoah survivors who didn't want to lose an opportunity after losing so many. There are all types.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:16 am
I live in Switzerland and was vacationing close to where this "pool story happened." What I heard was that some Jewish men were using the communal pool in their apartment building as a mikva and were not showering beforehand. Do you blame the owner for getting annoyed? Especially as Switzerland is such a clean country.

It's totally naive to believe that just because a country is neutral, so are all the people living in it. Of course there are plenty of anti semtic Swiss people. What do you think the media is feeding them? BUT, and this is a big but, a great deal of this antisemitism could be avoided if Jews would behave themselves. I have vacationed in areas known for their Jewish presence in the summer and have been very disturbed by the amount of "kosher" garbage lying around, people blatantly ignoring signs (in 4 languages!!) asking visitors not to feed the animals and people putting out regular garbage bags instead of the taxed ones that one is required to use. My husband and I always try to go the extra mile in making a kiddush Hashem, even if it costs us a bit more money or time. We buy chocolates for the apartment owners on our departure and clean up even though we pay a hefty bill for end cleaning. In this way we hope to repair some of the damage others have caused.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics