Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How do special ed providers get out of NY?
1  2  3  Next

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 6:43 pm
Don't know whether to put this in finances or moving.

I have been stuck in one place for years now because I keep going around in circles: New York is too expensive, I need a bigger apartment that I can afford. Out of town there is cheaper housing. Out of town there are no jobs and if you're lucky enough to get one it pays much less so your cheaper housing still doesn't leave you with spare change. But New York is too expensive and I need a bigger home. But where to go?

I do SEIT, P3, and privately contracted special ed work which means I set my own hours and have a lot of flexibility. This is very important to me. The NY special ed system makes this possible. In addition, it makes it possible to still earn a decent amount with flexible hours, relative to other part-time work. Anyone I've ever spoken to in life and on imamother verifies that the type of structure I work with here does not exist anywhere else.

Am I just stuck either way? Interested in hearing from people in this kind of position, who were doing part time SEIT/P3 type work, moved out of NY for a lower COL, and it worked out profitably.

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 7:35 pm
Any option to move to a "suburb" that's cheaper than Brooklyn and still commute in to keep your job?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 7:37 pm
Always had the same question. For example, here Title One pays $50-$75 a period. I know people doing it Monsey with the same qualifications for $20-$25 a period.

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 7:46 pm
Work privately. But then you have to really build up your reputation and clientele.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 7:49 pm
doctorima wrote:
Any option to move to a "suburb" that's cheaper than Brooklyn and still commute in to keep your job?

Not really, everywhere in the NY metro area is expensive.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:17 pm
octopus wrote:
Work privately. But then you have to really build up your reputation and clientele.

But does that actually work? Around here people pay privately only for after-school tutoring. After school is when my own kids need me. That's the main reason I barely do any private work. The other reason is that I am really not a businessperson. I do much better leaving that end to an agency or school coordinator while I do the actual sessions and related tasks. And the building up reputations and clienteles probably does not translate well into a reliable living income which is what you need in order to move a family to a new city! Augh!

yogabird

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:17 pm
This is a big piece of what's keeping us in Brooklyn too. I'll be following here to see if any useful advice comes up.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
Always had the same question. For example, here Title One pays $50-$75 a period. I know people doing it Monsey with the same qualifications for $20-$25 a period.

By the way, where and how does one get paid $75 (or anywhere near that) per period of Title One? I have always heard of that theoretically but not one agency I ever spoke to comes remotely close, even though I have been OVERqualified for just about every one of their positions (the only qualification any of them ever have that I don't meet, so far, has been bilingual) I'm happy enough with the job I have at the moment but still curious about this!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:22 pm
To put it simply, no, you can't do that exact work elsewhere. If you want to relocate you will have to think out of the box and be willing to make changes. Become a bcba if that's an area of interest, or work in a less flexible environment, etc.

There are so many neighborhoods within NYC though, are you sure you can't find anything somewhat affordable that would still allow you to keep your current setup?

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:28 pm
Seit and P3 don't really exist out of NY.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
To put it simply, no, you can't do that exact work elsewhere. If you want to relocate you will have to think out of the box and be willing to make changes. Become a bcba if that's an area of interest, or work in a less flexible environment, etc.

There are so many neighborhoods within NYC though, are you sure you can't find anything somewhat affordable that would still allow you to keep your current setup?

So that's what I'm asking about - give me some examples of how you or others have succeeded by thinking out of the box or what kind of changes you were willing to make that led to a successful move.

For various reasons retraining as a BCBA would not work for me - it's a very long, intense, and not altogether inexpensive process.

I could see working in a less flexible environment but I would like to know what the options are. If by "less flexible" you mean a full time public school position, then that's not going to work for me. But if there's a range of "less flexible" then please describe what the job options and prospective salaries are like where you live.

And no, there are no somewhat affordable neighborhoods within NYC as far as I know. We could totally do a spinoff on that but I feel pretty confident that I can't afford to continue living in NY much longer, unless I win a lottery for rent-controlled housing (the last lottery I entered had something like 590,000 applicants for about 250 apartments.)

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:31 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Seit and P3 don't really exist out of NY.

I know. Hence the question, how do former SEIT/P3 providers financially transition to life out of NY?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:44 pm
seeker wrote:
By the way, where and how does one get paid $75 (or anywhere near that) per period of Title One? I have always heard of that theoretically but not one agency I ever spoke to comes remotely close, even though I have been OVERqualified for just about every one of their positions (the only qualification any of them ever have that I don't meet, so far, has been bilingual) I'm happy enough with the job I have at the moment but still curious about this!

There are agencies paying bilingual male providers that rate( presumably because there is a low supply and great demand). And then thwre are agencies paying $75 per diem , but most likely $50 across the board comes out more worthwhile.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:47 pm
yogabird wrote:
This is a big piece of what's keeping us in Brooklyn too. I'll be following here to see if any useful advice comes up.

Same here.
Both, as a provider and as a parent of a child getting lots of services.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 8:52 pm
seeker wrote:
So that's what I'm asking about - give me some examples of how you or others have succeeded by thinking out of the box or what kind of changes you were willing to make that led to a successful move.

For various reasons retraining as a BCBA would not work for me - it's a very long, intense, and not altogether inexpensive process.

I could see working in a less flexible environment but I would like to know what the options are. If by "less flexible" you mean a full time public school position, then that's not going to work for me. But if there's a range of "less flexible" then please describe what the job options and prospective salaries are like where you live.

And no, there are no somewhat affordable neighborhoods within NYC as far as I know. We could totally do a spinoff on that but I feel pretty confident that I can't afford to continue living in NY much longer, unless I win a lottery for rent-controlled housing (the last lottery I entered had something like 590,000 applicants for about 250 apartments.)

I'm sorry, I'm not a great person to discuss this with. COL where I am is as high as/ higher than NY and salaries are not commensurate, so my experience wouldn't be of much value to you.

It may help if you narrow down your range of community options, and then do some in depth research by speaking to a contact person in each of those communities. I know that several people in my field have contacted me before moving to my area, and I'm always happy to share what I know.

I guess somewhat affordable is a relative term Smile I'm planning a major move soon in hopes of more affordable living, so I get it!

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:05 pm
I've talked with some people in some communities and haven't heard anything very helpful so far Sad That's why I feel so stuck! But staying stuck is not an option! So far I'm doing OK but my kids are growing so fast KAH and there's only so long we can stay in a teeny tiny one bedroom which is the most I can afford!

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:08 pm
I live in a large oot city and know lots of special ed teachers. They are all classroom teachers either in public school or the day schools but those are usually part time jobs. Would you consider doing psycho-ed evals? A friend of my grandmothers is very successful doing this.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:12 pm
You need to be an educational psychologist to do psychoed evals. I actually would love to go that route but I'm not up for another masters degree right now.

I'd consider part-time day school teaching but would that pay a living wage?

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 9:18 pm
If you were interested in Chicago we have a clearing house called the associated talmud Torahs. They would have that kind of info. You can google it for more details.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:03 pm
Is SEIT/P3 only in NYC? Would they have that in Rochester?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating