Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum place where can get by on 75k?
1  2  3  Next

thegiver

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:10 am
That's 75k in USD after tax.

Here's what we are looking for--does it exist?
A frum, somewhat insular (but not completely) community where there are strong Torah institutions (kollelim, proper yeshivas and/or good schools for girls too)
A strong Jewish community
We would love to own an apt/house paying $350k or less for a 3+ bedroom
Be able to afford tuition easily for several children
Be able to afford necessities like food clothing and shoes with ease.
Be able to spend $500 on major chagim (affording meat and wine without difficulty)
Be able to afford a car (or two)
Rural lifestyle is definitely a plus!! I kind of abhor city life with all its noise and pollution and congestion.

Does this exist anywhere in the usa or abroad? Please tell me about your community and lifestyle.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:34 am
How do you get to your after tax figure without knowing what state you are living in? (Are you looking in the US?)

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:51 am
I'm sure this would work in many communities in Israel. In the US.. much less likely.

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:08 am
I don't know how you can do this and pay tuition, unless maybe you're chassidish.
Most places expect you to pay a few thousand even with aid, unless the circumstances are exceptional.

cnc

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:14 am
nylon wrote:
I don't know how you can do this and pay tuition, unless maybe you're chassidish.
Most places expect you to pay a few thousand even with aid, unless the circumstances are exceptional.

She didn't write how many school children she has.
I don't know anything about these places, except that at one point they were giving incentives for people to move. Have you looked into Rochester or Cincinatti?

salt

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 3:36 am
amother wrote:
I'm sure this would work in many communities in Israel. In the US.. much less likely.

If you open to aliya, it would work anywhere in Israel I think.
That's a very high salary, and health care and education are close to free.
We will welcome you with open arms...

salt

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 3:40 am
salt wrote:
If you open to aliya, it would work anywhere in Israel I think.
That's a very high salary, and health care and education are close to free.
We will welcome you with open arms...

Sorry for that price you wouldn't find a 3-bedroom apt anywhere in Israel. But in rural places you definitely would.
Beitar or Kiryat Sefer for example. Frum lifestyle, schools, shuls, kollels, reasonably priced food and clothes.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 6:09 am
Possibly South Bend, Indiana?

They have an outreach worker who usually chimes in on threads like these.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:00 am
Cincinnati doesn't have an incentive program to move; if you move, you get the perks of living here, which right now include state given EdChoice vouchers...it's not a subsidized tuition rate for a year or two like other communities have to get people interested in moving there.

That being said, there is no mainstream yeshiva here (yet?) -- only Lubavitch, but there is a phenomenal girls' high school, elementaries, a bustling kollel...housing in your budget...

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:11 am
In Manchester, England that wage would allow you to live comfortably.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:20 am
Rochester is a wonderful community. I'm not sure how many children you have, but you can get a nice, decent size 3+ bedroom house here (approx 1500sqft) in the $200k-$250k range, a little less if you're willing to get a smaller house or one that needs work, and a bit more if you want something bigger/nicer. The schools are wonderful. The community is warm and welcoming and very down to earth. I've lived here for almost 5 years and I'm continually impressed by the community and how people have their priorities straight. I wouldn't call it rural by any means, but it's a smaller community and there are great parks and nature areas. The area where the community lives is beautiful, suburban with nice houses, lawns, small parks. One thing to keep in mind is that both cost of living and income tend to be scaled down here. So if you're making $75k in a more expensive area, you might make considerably less here.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:28 am
I don't suggest Cincinnati. Politics are insane over here. I'm talking from expririence....

I really want to leave, but it's cheap and dh has a good job.....

It's so small so everyone is in everyone's face and knows everything about everyone else. Privacy is non existent.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:34 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Cincinnati doesn't have an incentive program to move; if you move, you get the perks of living here, which right now include state given EdChoice vouchers...it's not a subsidized tuition rate for a year or two like other communities have to get people interested in moving there.

That being said, there is no mainstream yeshiva here (yet?) -- only Lubavitch, but there is a phenomenal girls' high school, elementaries, a bustling kollel...housing in your budget...

And fine yeshiva high schools within fairly easy driving distance to bring sons home for off Shabbasos or to visit.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:34 am
amother wrote:
In Manchester, England that wage would allow you to live comfortably.

Is housing available in her range?

choco1

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:38 am
I think Cleveland fits your criteria.

happy12

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:43 am
Check out job opportunities before you move. I know that in Cleveland without a degree its hard to find a job.

reality mom

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
Possibly South Bend, Indiana?

They have an outreach worker who usually chimes in on threads like these.

Indiana, anong other few select states offer tuition vouchers.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:52 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Is housing available in her range?

Yes.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
I don't suggest Cincinnati. Politics are insane over here. I'm talking from expririence....

I really want to leave, but it's cheap and dh has a good job.....

It's so small so everyone is in everyone's face and knows everything about everyone else. Privacy is non existent.
The only major politics I'm aware of have to do with schools. On everything else I think we are a friendly community. And I believe the school politics will work themselves out in a few years as people settle into the new reality.

We do know a lot about each other, but that is just part of being a smaller community. There are upsides to it too. I love it here.

Edit: sorry about the double post, but I can't delete the second one now.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:45 am
Deleted double post.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating