Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum place where can get by on 75k?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:53 am
Another vote for Israel, if you are willing to live in a smaller community. You will be able to find an apartment, you'll just need a good agent to work with.

If you choose Beitar Ilit, I can connect you with a WONDERFUL anglo family who will help get you all set up.

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:53 am
I don't think there's any perfect fit, but cheaper communities with affordable real estate and lower standards of gashmius that are worth looking into include Detroit, Baltimore, Rochester, and Houston.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:25 am
It's not just the schools... It's the Shuls... It much more than that. Baruch Hashem my kids found friends but it's very hard. If your kids don't fit in the motto is basically "if you don't like them... You better learn to" as there are only so many kids in the community. I guess I also know a few kids who went off because of this.... It's very hard.

A tight knit community is wonderful but Cincinnati is tiny.....its growing at a small pace. Perhaps in twenty years or so it will be bigger.

I have a sister who lives in Israel. Sounds like if you are into aliyah theres some stuff there. Cleveland is nearby and its bigger. Cincinnati had like 300 families and Cleveland has a couple thousand. Worth looking into

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
It's not just the schools... It's the Shuls... It much more than that. Baruch Hashem my kids found friends but it's very hard. If your kids don't fit in the motto is basically "if you don't like them... You better learn to" as there are only so many kids in the community. I guess I also know a few kids who went off because of this.... It's very hard.

A tight knit community is wonderful but Cincinnati is tiny.....its growing at a small pace. Perhaps in twenty years or so it will be bigger.
I'm sorry it's been hard for you. Our children are still quite young, so I realize that we have not had to deal with more complicated issues that face preteens and teens.

A smaller community does offer fewer options, socially as well as other ways, but it sounds like OP may be open to that. 300 families may seem tiny to some, but I've never lived in a frum community like Lakewood or Teaneck or even Cleveland. The other frum communities I have lived in have all been smaller than Cincinnati, so my frame of reference is very different.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:14 am
Lol, I read 300 families and thought "wow that's big!" I live in an amazing community with about 15 families, but we are near a bigger frum community so I don't know if that counts.
OP, why don't you look into which communities were featured in the OU fair? I dont know much about it, but I've heard people talk about it.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:09 pm
I live in Cincinnati. People are definitely not in my business. My dh and I are both introverts, we don't live in the "bungelow colonies" . We send to APDI, so we are pretty out of it actually Wink

We do have some friends which for me is sufficient and I feel like if I dropped off the earth there are people who would care enough to notice Wink. To me that is actually important. We moved from a large Jewish community and we are happier here.

FaygieofLA

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:16 pm
the O-U has a lot of out of town places where it is much cheaper.

See:
https://www.ou.org/fair/fair/f.....ties/
http://oumovesu.com/communities.html

You can contact them directly. They are very helpful.

Out of town is great.

Cheaper, more green areas, and you feel like you make a difference.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
Lol, I read 300 families and thought "wow that's big!" I live in an amazing community with about 15 families, but we are near a bigger frum community so I don't know if that counts.
OP, why don't you look into which communities were featured in the OU fair? I dont know much about it, but I've heard people talk about it.

Can you share where you are from? I'm looking for something similar...

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:56 pm
not that amother but I know that there is a small community near Boston, forgot the name but I'm pretty sure they are in the ou fair.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
not that amother but I know that there is a small community near Boston, forgot the name but I'm pretty sure they are in the ou fair.
You're probably thinking of Malden.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 3:37 pm
I live in South Florida. We make a lot less than $75K and are doing pretty fine. 1 car. A few kids. No kids in private school. But there is a public Jewish charter school here. We own a 3 bedroom house at the edge of the Jewish area. We stress over money all the time, but, again, we make a lot less than $75K. At $75K we wouldn't stress that much.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
I live in South Florida. We make a lot less than $75K and are doing pretty fine. 1 car. A few kids. No kids in private school. But there is a public Jewish charter school here. We own a 3 bedroom house at the edge of the Jewish area. We stress over money all the time, but, again, we make a lot less than $75K. At $75K we wouldn't stress that much.

I think op wants to put her kids in a private school, that would make a big difference

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 7:26 pm
Detroit. Awesome mid size community. Housing is cheap, 150-200k for a decent house. Very suburban, lots of greenery, two yeshivish/community schools, one lubavitch, another MO. Full tuition can go up to 11k in high school 8k elementary 3-5 k preschool but they give out breaks as needed.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 7:43 pm
Where in south Florida is there a public jewish charter school? We have looked into moving to florida, but never heard of this. And isn't housing super expensive?
Dh would love to move there, but it seems so costly, can u share how you make it work on less than 75k?

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 7:55 pm
How many is several children? Imho you can survive on that amount but perhaps in not as comfortable a manner as you describe in your op.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
Where in south Florida is there a public jewish charter school? We have looked into moving to florida, but never heard of this. And isn't housing super expensive?
Dh would love to move there, but it seems so costly, can u share how you make it work on less than 75k?

Public and Jewish are contradictory. I'm assuming she means the ben gamla charter school system, which are English- Hebrew language schools that are not allowed to teach religious subjects.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
I don't suggest Cincinnati. Politics are insane over here. I'm talking from expririence....

I really want to leave, but it's cheap and dh has a good job.....

It's so small so everyone is in everyone's face and knows everything about everyone else. Privacy is non existent.

Ouch, I think Cinci could really be great for OP. OP, serious look into it. Affordable housing, very low or sometimes no cost tuition. Kollel, Girls HS, boys do go away for HS unless you are lubavitch.

Amother, if you feel that way, you shouldn't be here, even if DH has a good job. I'm glad I don't know who really wrote that.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:55 pm
Yellow amother, can you post with your sn and I will pm you? Would rather not gove my location away even as amother, since it's so small. But happy to talk about it through pm if it will help you!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:01 pm
The Twerski community of Milwaukee, Wisconsin fits your description. There's tuition vouchers (free tuition) for qualifying families (most families qualify) like Cleveland. But the job market, like in other "Rust Belt" cities (Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit), isn't the best.

TeachersNotebook

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:25 pm
I live in Northeast Philadelphia. I think it fits most of your preferences. Cheap cost of living, but close enough to the big city to make good salaries. State vouchers cover most of tuition if you live in the right zip codes. Houses are small, but affordable. You can definitely find a 3 bedroom in that price range. Community is very mixed and welcoming, with a yeshivish bent. There are a number of options for good schools, yeshivas, and kollelim.

It's definitely worth it to check out! The shul Bnai Israel Ohev Zedek is currently offering an outreach incentive for residents, med students, and grad students.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating