Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum place where can get by on 75k?
Previous  1  2  3

philamom

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:26 pm
Northeast Philadelphia- very affordable homes, tuition assistance from state. Philly is a big city so good job market, close to NY/NJ. Wonderful, warm community. Feel free to ask any questions about it!

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 2:07 am
there are many many places like this in Eretz Yisrael.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 2:36 am
All I suggest it that you seriously look into cincy and all of the real stuff under the surface. If I knew it was truly like this never would of moved here.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:59 am
amother wrote:
All I suggest it that you seriously look into cincy and all of the real stuff under the surface. If I knew it was truly like this never would of moved here.

Every community has its good and bad (speaking as someone who lived in Cinci and knows what you're talking about, lives elsewhere now -and has lived in a few other places as well). The key is to somehow be able to find out the bad before you move- to any city - and decide if you're willing to forge ahead anyway, knowing there is no such thing as the perfect place. Much easier said than done, since it's hard to pick up on the problems from visiting a city for a Shabbos. Of any city.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:06 am
natural, I don't know where you fit in hashkafically and I don't know what the op means by insular but if she means yesheivish I think she'll have less issues then if she is MO. I don't think Cincinnati is perfect regardless but would be a good option for her to look in to.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
natural, I don't know where you fit in hashkafically and I don't know what the op means by insular but if she means yesheivish I think she'll have less issues then if she is MO. I don't think Cincinnati is perfect regardless but would be a good option for her to look in to.

LOL, maybe we should start a spin-off. I am MO in Cincinnati and I was thinking just the opposite to myself. I'd assumed that Natural amother was yeshivish and speculated that the issues or politics she had trouble with were more prevalent in that community. On reflection, I think it could be either way. Just like there's good and bad to every community, there's pros and cons to every subcommunity Smile

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:43 am
deleted

studying_torah

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:48 am
But how can anyone find out the negatives/politics/things they don't like about a place before moving?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:53 am
studying_torah wrote:
But how can anyone find out the negatives/politics/things they don't like about a place before moving?
I imagine that it's a little like shidduchim (although being MO I wouldn't really know) in that you can't let your information all come from one source.

A lot of small communities have specific committees or organizations dedicated to recruiting and arranging visits. They do amazing work and are wonderful. But you want to make sure you talk to people beyond those the committee/recruiting organization introduces to you. Shake your own Jewish geography tree and see if you have any connections to the location. Go to the park or bagel shop and strike up conversation with some random frum people on your visit. And so on. Some independent recon is good before any kind of relocation, either to a big or small community.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:54 am
you can contact people you know IRL who live in the place or from imamother who post with their screen name and ask them questions and ask them to connect you to people possibly even people who post on imamother anonymously Wink When I looked in to communities I found that people were pretty open about the good and bad about the community especially since different people view different things as good or bad.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:26 am
If you are interested in Rochester, check out www.torahrochester.com

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 12:06 pm
Monroe New York LOL

Let's be real...
You can have a 4 bedroom home on a huge lot in Blooming Grove for 250k
Tuition is max 250 per child, depends on your capability.

You still have to pay monthly;
1500 towards mortgage if you are lucky to get a good rate
800-1000 property taxes depending on location
750 tuition if you have 3 kids (I don't remember how much you said you have)
800 for cars
1200 for food min.
700 utilities
And then Clothing, shoes, an appliance here and there, odds and ends, a yom tov, a new season.
I assume you need much lower cost housing to survive.

cnc

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
Monroe New York LOL

Let's be real...
You can have a 4 bedroom home on a huge lot in Blooming Grove for 250k
Tuition is max 250 per child, depends on your capability.

You still have to pay monthly;
1500 towards mortgage if you are lucky to get a good rate
800-1000 property taxes depending on location
750 tuition if you have 3 kids (I don't remember how much you said you have)
800 for cars
1200 for food min.
700 utilities
And then Clothing, shoes, an appliance here and there, odds and ends, a yom tov, a new season.
I assume you need much lower cost housing to survive.

You pay $800- 1000 a month for property tax? That sounds very high for a $250k house.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:35 pm
Another vote for cleveland. Depending on family size you may qualify for free tuition. I live there.

lucky14

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:03 pm
anyone here from this community: https://www.ou.org/communities.....ates/ ?
Is it really as great as they make it sound in the video?

Petra

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:32 pm
Isn't the "good and bad" very specific to each individual? Moving to a brand new community that one has no relatives in or grew up in is taking a big leap of faith. Naturally, one will do the research, but in the end, one can only know what it's like for themselves in a community when they are finally there. Living it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating