Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of redoing house

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:01 am
We are considering moving to an area that has tiny two family houses that if converted to a one family would be a regular size. The houses are also very old. For the first floor I would need to put in a new kitchen, redo the bathroom, knock down at least one wall possibly more and repaint and carpet/floor the whole floor. The floor is approximately 950 sqft. Any idea around how much this would cost me. Its the tristate are.

The upstairs would also need work. redoing a bathroom, repainting and carpeting whole floor and moving a few walls to convert from two bedroom apartmetn to 4 bedrooms and laudry room. Any idea how much around how much that would cost me?

I can just do the first floor now and do the bedroom floor in a few more years when I have some more money. Is it worthwhile financially to just do the whole house at once because I'll already have the contractor or does it not make much of a difference to do half now and half later.

Also I probably wont have the money to do this but assuming the plumbing is nearby in the house how much would it cost to make a tiny bathroom in master bedroom with just sink and toliet.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:09 am
Call two contractors for quotes

doctorima

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:22 am
I believe I once heard that a major renovation is around $150/square foot, but that was several years ago, and obviously depends on the score of the job and how fancy you want to do it. It's definitely much, much easier to do it all at once when they're already there. You'll save a lot of money versus doing it in stages, not to mention the headache of having to move out.

Also realize that these things end up going way over budget EVERY SINGLE time, and no, you will not be the exception no matter how much you try and how smart you think you are being.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics