Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Semi-toxic workplace advice

ilovethecold

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 8:51 am
For a number of reasons, I am keeping my job teaching at the school I am in (tuition break for my kids, location, building up confidence in teaching while utilizing the freedom that a private school provides for when building curriculum, etc.). So please, don't suggest I look elsewhere. For now, though, I need a "way" to "get through" the year without getting overly bothered/bogged down by the pettiness/backstabbing/competitive behaviors/unpredictability exhibited by some my colleagues. Can anyone suggest a mantra that has helped them? An idea? A great piece of advice that has guided them through tough spots at work? Obviously, I will try my best to focus on the incredible positives of my work environment (I LOVE my students, LOVE teaching, my kids are in the same building as me, it's close by, I am getting a tuition break, I am making a difference, etc.), but oftentimes, the positives are overshadowed. Any tips? Advice?

To clarify: I say semi-toxic because (a) I'm very sensitive, and most workplaces are somewhat difficult for me to be in (based on previous experience), and (b) the environment is incredible at times-- when I am with my students-- but awful at others-- when I have to deal with some passive-aggressive, cutthroat co-workers. In other words, it's 50% the environment, 50% me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics