Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Foods besides fruits/veg to take for a 2 day vacation?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:09 pm
Which foods besides fruits/veg should I take/prepare for a 2 day vacation, with adults and kids, for breakfasts lunches and suppers?

Were going to an area with minimal kosher food. Ill have a kitchen.

imasinger

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 12:19 pm
Plan your meals based on the tastes of everyone. You can make one pot suppers, freeze them, throw them in a cooler, and reheat them there. Or you can grill meat. Or you can do pasta. And lots more.

For breakfasts and lunches, maybe some cereals and milk. (You can bring milk in a cooler, or go with a shelf stable box or powder.) Or eggs, if you have a setup to cook them. Or bagels and spreads. Bread for sandwiches, or whatever else people like for lunch. Is the kitchen there kosher? Can you kasher the stove, the microwave (if you do that), the oven?

We often go camping for 1-2 weeks, and just plan the foods we like to eat. It's really not difficult.

Be sure to pack some snacks!

mfb

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:01 pm
We take along a sanwich/panini maker and bread, wraps, sauce cheese.... Whatever you like in it. That is usually quite filling.
For supper u can take along a disposeable grill.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:48 pm
For breakfast you can take along cereal, milk, yogurts hard boiled eggs. For lunches - bagels with tuna/eggs/lox/peanut butter, whatever your family likes. Supper you can do cold cut wraps or grill some hot dogs or burgers on a disposable grill or george forman. You can also bring canned pickles, corn, baked beans, etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:51 pm
If you accept OU (and don't need a heimish heksher), you can find lots of meals at health food stores, or on the health aisle. Anything vegetarian is most likely to be OU parve or OU/D.

fraimal

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 11:56 pm
will u have access to a microwave? I brought frozen meatballs and other cooked frozen items like soup- doubled wrapped them in plastic shopping bags (which actually do not melt in microwave) and pop into microwave. its a great way to have supper ready fast for when you come back to your hotel after a long day. (I personally hate grilling on vacation- kids are usually grumpy and tired and have no patience to wait for tiny grill that takes forever to cook food)

chilax

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:07 am
breakfast-cereal and milk-freeze before you leave so it stays cold
lunch- pannini maker, cheese, bread, you can add veggies
supper - I usually bring frozen chicken wings, franks, or cutlets, bbq sauce, and disposable bbq if theres place for a bbq. Or a George Forman electric grill.
if your having an oven and stove, just take along bekelech/small pot
very important- a knife to cut vegetables, spoon to serve, garbage bags, sandwich/food bags

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:25 am
chillax- free milk even if you are bringing a cooler? Interesting...
what snacks do you recommend?

chilax

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:57 pm
if its more than a 2 hour trip, I like to freeze it, so it stays super cold, and wont spoil. Also when milk is frozen it keeps other refrigerated items cold, and you don't need to use ice (makes a mess)
snacks are not a challenge, they don't take up much space and wont spoil - chips, crackers, cookies, whatever your family enjoys

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 7:20 am
For supper bring a george foreman and stuff like chicken breast, sausages, burgers. Pitta or wraps. (you an warm the wraps on george foreman as well) Make a salad. Tinned corn.

Breakfast cereal, milk, yogurts. Lunch bread and eggs (you can hardboil a bunch before), tuna and other spreads.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 7:35 am
I always bring a few loaves of bread and tuna spread and cream cheese.
For breakfast and lunch. And usually cold cuts for supper sandwiches. I also bring along the OSEM Meals on the go. All you need is hot water. The Tradition soups are also an emergency staple I bring along.When I get to wherever our destination is I find a supermarket to get peanut butter, lettuce tomatoes etc. and snacks such as potatoe chips, tortilla chips,pretzels and lots of drinks.
If you are makpid with Cholov Yisroel bring along your own milk.
Bring along plastic cutlery, plates, cups etc as well as a sharp knife.

little_mage

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:13 am
Peanut butter and honey are our travel go tos, because it doesn't need regfridgeration.

LuckyMum

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:19 am
You could take along a crock pot - stick in chicken bottoms and potatoes with spices while the kids get dressed in the mornning - and come back after a long tiring hungry day to a fresh hot delicious meal! You can add in veggies etc too.
I've done this on a 3 day trip - one night chicken bottoms, one night with turkey goulash, the third night we grilled. I prepared marinated chicken fingers on a skewer and froze in a zip lock bag. That goes really fast on a grill. We ate those in a pita with veggies, yum!
Enjoy your trip!

LuckyMum

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:24 am
You could make couscous as a side - all you need is hot water. Also instant soups, oatmeal...
Vaccum packed cold cuts for sandwiches is also a good option.
For breakfast, you could make pancakes from a frozen bottle of pancakme mix in the sandwich maker. You could also scramble eggs in a sandwich maker.

I have done lots of such trips. With a little thinking and meal planning it is quite easy.

I also second the freezing milk idea - stays fresher longer that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics