Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Bridal registry

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:12 am
I know bridal registries seem to be more common "out of town" and it may depend from community to community, but I wanted to know. In a case of an OOT girl marrying a Brooklyn boy, is putting "dream" items on a registry so "off-putting" if you are catering to a wide range of people who may contribute to the gifts? Would you consider it "offensive" if a girl from a chinuch family is registering for "$20 towels" from BB&B? Or a $40 wastebasket that goes with the bathroom set that the girl likes? I figure a registry is a "wish list" and if people want to chip in or not get something--then that's their perogative.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:32 am
I don't think anyone would find it offensive as long as there is a range of items in different price ranges. Close relatives may chip in and buy her that expensive set of pots, but friends are more likely to stick to small appliances (hand mixer, immersion blender, that sort of thing) and other houseware items- popular items include container sets, pyrex, oven to table cookware/serveware, home decor items.

As long as there is a selection of items in different price ranges, I can't imagine anyone would be offended.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
I know bridal registries seem to be more common "out of town" and it may depend from community to community, but I wanted to know. In a case of an OOT girl marrying a Brooklyn boy, is putting "dream" items on a registry so "off-putting" if you are catering to a wide range of people who may contribute to the gifts? Would you consider it "offensive" if a girl from a chinuch family is registering for "$20 towels" from BB&B? Or a $40 wastebasket that goes with the bathroom set that the girl likes? I figure a registry is a "wish list" and if people want to chip in or not get something--then that's their prerogative.

I thought everyone did registries.

Neither thing that you mentioned is off-putting. Then again, I'd never buy anyone a garbage can, as that's not really the context I want people thinking of me in.

Registries should include things in all price ranges, from cheap to exorbitant. The only time I roll my eyes a bit is when everything is very expensive, like the cheapest thing is a $100 goblet, and the couple wants 16.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:48 am
The few kallahs I've known well in the Brooklyn area ended up buying most things themselves with the monetary gifts they received from like Amazing Savings, the Buzz and that big houswares store.

I was working with a kallah and the mother got all "panicky" when she saw somethings on the registry and I'm trying to figure out if it was really all that bad.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
The few kallahs I've known well in the Brooklyn area ended up buying most things themselves with the monetary gifts they received from like Amazing Savings, the Buzz and that big houswares store.

I was working with a kallah and the mother got all "panicky" when she saw somethings on the registry and I'm trying to figure out if it was really all that bad.

What do you mean, panicky? What did she panic about?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:57 am
allthingsblue wrote:
What do you mean, panicky? What did she panic about?

The towels, bathroom set that included a $40 wastebasket (which in honesty I didn't realize when I added it, but I find that the cheap ones just crack so if you're starting out might make sense to get a decent one)

she thought it was too ostentatious for her chevra.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 9:59 am
Just make sure there are some cheaper items on the registry, but I don't think a $40 gift is ostentatious.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:15 am
She should register for an array of items from large ticket to small so that people have a choice. Those offended by a $40 wastebin dont have to buy it. Furthermore, no one is obligated to use the registry at all. I find that young couples appreciate checks just as much. And I'll let you in on a secret: they return plenty of stuff for which they registered. Unless the giver forgets to sign it, they never return a check.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 10:21 am
Yes of course--there was a wide variety of gifts. Thanks for the affirmation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette