Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Eclipse-Do I have to worry about my sleepaway camper's eyes?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 1:11 am
My husband runs a large day camp upstate with 300+ boys. He was brainstorming for solutions to keep kids indoors as little ones especially boys can't be trusted to keep glasses on... his ingenious solution: have activities
In the morning and learning from 1-4 where the Rebbeim keep the kids staying in class BH.

I did reach out to some camps and was shocked at the "don't make such a big deal" or "we will tell them not to look"...

amother
Green

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 2:59 am
amother wrote:
My husband runs a large day camp upstate with 300+ boys. He was brainstorming for solutions to keep kids indoors as little ones especially boys can't be trusted to keep glasses on... his ingenious solution: have activities
In the morning and learning from 1-4 where the Rebbeim keep the kids staying in class BH.

I did reach out to some camps and was shocked at the "don't make such a big deal" or "we will tell them not to look"...

Girls' camps don't have 3 hour learning sessions so keeping them inside for 3 hours doesn't sound very realistic to me Sad

I will be mailing her glasses and hoping for the best (short of pulling her out so I can personally make sure she doesn't look at the sky, I don't think I have any other options)...

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 3:14 am
amother wrote:
Girls' camps don't have 3 hour learning sessions so keeping them inside for 3 hours doesn't sound very realistic to me Sad

I will be mailing her glasses and hoping for the best (short of pulling her out so I can personally make sure she doesn't look at the sky, I don't think I have any other options)...

The way theses glasses work is that you see black through them unless you are looking at the sun. It's not realistic that any child is going to be wearing them during any camp activity other than, 'looking up at the sun'.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:11 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Anyone know the time of the eclipse in the Catskills? Would it be the same as NYC?

How concerned do I need to be of my three year old looking upward? And his day camp tends to take them swimming during that time, and wouldn't there be a possibility of eye damage if they lay on their backs in the pool?

Please call the camp and let them know they should DEFINITELY not be taking them swimming at that time. Most camps are planning to keep the kids inside during that time. Personally I'm taking off from work and keeping my kids out of camp.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:58 am
I read that after every eclipse there are several hundred cases of people going blind (or partially blind) because they didn't take this seriously enough. And this damage is irreversible. Please do whatever you can to ensure your children are either looking at the sun with special eclipse glasses or not at all.

rise above

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:49 am
My lakewood day camp sent home a note that due to the eclipse they will only be having indoor activities Monday afternoon. I appreciate their sense of safety and organization.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:32 am
I remember being in sixth grade and our school made it mandatory to stay for lunch even though we could usually go home.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:22 am
amother wrote:
I read that after every eclipse there are several hundred cases of people going blind (or partially blind) because they didn't take this seriously enough. And this damage is irreversible. Please do whatever you can to ensure your children are either looking at the sun with special eclipse glasses or not at all.

Actually, from what I researched, there is a chance that the damage can be reversible, although it may take six months. Although I don't suggest you try it.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:24 am
Since the NY area will be experiencing a partial eclipse, is there a time frame during those almost three hours that is ideal to watch, using the glasses, of course? The total eclipse, I'm aware, is only for several minutes...

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:44 am
Just spoke to my son in sleepaway camp's head counselor, and he says that the camp ordered the glasses for each boy with their camp logo printed onto the paper part. Think I can assume they're certified and safe to use?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:25 am
amother wrote:
I know that it's a total eclipse but in the Catskills (where the camp is) it will only be a partial eclipse and it doesn't have the same danger to the eyes

Words have meaning. The Catskills aren't in the path of totality, consequently the total eclipse won't be visible. Simply because you aren't in the path of totality doesn't change the fact that it is a total eclipse. This is 7th grade PS science.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 1:08 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Since the NY area will be experiencing a partial eclipse, is there a time frame during those almost three hours that is ideal to watch, using the glasses, of course? The total eclipse, I'm aware, is only for several minutes...
The peak of the eclipse which means the point at which the most of the sun will be covered in NY is at 2:44 pm.

https://www.space.com/37807-so......html

mommmmmmmmmmy

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 1:22 pm
Delete

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:08 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I didn't even know you can't look. I'm starting to panic. How do I know what time to shield my kids eyes?

I also freaked out and called the day camps to confirm the kids will be indoors during the eclipse.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children