Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did everyone go blind?

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:17 am
At what point in history did they realize looking at the sun during an eclipse can lead to blindness? Wouldn't that mean that until then many people had severe eye damage? There was an article about the Chafetz Chaim watching an eclipse with his students. I'm assuming they didn't have eclipse glasses so does that mean they knew not to look at the sun? I actually tried googling this but didn't get anywhere.

miami85

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:21 am
Historically there have been ways to deal with eclipses. From pin-hole projectors to watching the reflection of it--my parents went up to Nova Scotia in the 70s to watch the last total solar eclipse and we have pictures of it on a hood of a car. Also polarized lenses aren't such a new invention--they are probably over 100 years old. Today's day and age everyone will be taking video of it so you have to take extra precaution with your eyes.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:34 am
I get that there were ways to view it just wondering if people knew a few hundred years ago ...

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:54 am
amother wrote:
I get that there were ways to view it just wondering if people knew a few hundred years ago ...

The local ad claims the Chofetz Cahim had the special glasses. Lol
http://I.imgur.com/UV9kTie.png

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:02 am
amother wrote:

If they didn't, they believed that the same evil spirits that ate up the sun also caused their bllindness.

and yes, the chofetz chaim actually did have such a lens and warned his students not to look at the sun without it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 8:25 am
I believe that a lot of people used smoked glass at the last eclipse, but it wasn't fully safe.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:10 am
miami85 wrote:
Also polarized lenses aren't such a new invention--they are probably over 100 years old.

Polarized glasses should not be used to view an eclipse.

But it would be interesting to find out what material the CC used.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:28 pm
It actually says in seforim, that you shouldn't look at the sun during an eclipse. So yeah, they knew hundreds of years ago. Don't know why your assuming we know more now days.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 12:02 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
It actually says in seforim, that you shouldn't look at the sun during an eclipse.

If anyone can direct me to some specific seforim that say that I would appreciate it.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 7:54 pm

The ad says that he told people to watch the eclipse to disprove idolaters who believe the sun is a creator. Are there any religions around now (or in 1912) that believe this?

Orchid

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 8:41 pm
I remember reading a Peanuts strip from the 1950s that show Linus - (or another character?) fashioning cardboard discs with pin-drop holes with which to watch the sun. Many pages were devoted to his creation, and of course, the day of the eclipse we see a total downpour and the character standing outside holding soggy cardboard..

So - it's not new, no.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 9:39 pm
I watched a solar eclipse as a child and didn't go blind. We poked a tiny hole through a piece of paper and peered through it. I don't know if that helped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics