Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you still wear your retainer?
1  2  Next

Do you still wear your retainer?
Yes  
 21%  [ 26 ]
No  
 50%  [ 62 ]
Never had braces  
 27%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 122

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:54 pm
How long did you wear it for? If you stopped why did you stop? Did your teeth move back?

Just got curious because I was amazed when someone told me the other day they are still wearing theirs 20 years later.

I wore them for about 5 years. I didnt consciously stop, just slowly started skipping a day here and there... I don't even think I know were they are anymore....

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:56 pm
Wore mine as a teenager for a couple years. Stopped. My teeth moved got Invisalign. Wore for a few years when I got married I stopped and my teeth shifted again. Not doing anything g about it anymore at this point

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 11:58 pm
Haha...no. I stopped the same way you did. Gradually skipping a day, a few days, wearing it only occasionally. I still have them but there's no way they still fit. My teeth did shift quite a bit but it doesn't look bad, I just don't have a great bite in the front. Nothing noticeable but for example I can't bite my nails so well because my teeth won't close down all the way in the front. Eh... that's probably for the best too! ;-)

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:56 am
So funny!p, I just saw my retainer box in my drawer this morning! I don't think I'll use it again. I remember the smell when I took it out in the morning. I haven't tried it for quite a few years. My teeth have shifted, but nothing noticeable.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 6:58 am
I still wear them. I had braces for 5 (!) years. I don't plan on ever stopping. If I skip a day, I feel my teeth have shifted. Its already about 12 years that I wear them 6/7 nights a week.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 7:56 am
None of my friends could be bothered.

emzod42

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:10 am
I lost it after a few years and never replaced it. My bottom teeth moved a little, but it's really only noticeable to the dentist.

rdmom

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:22 am
When I got my braces off I needed to have two root canals. In my days, they put a large ring around the back tooth and the braces were connected to that. So when that large ring came off, each one had a huge hole in the tooth. So I wore my braces until I got my crowns. And then they didn't fit anymore. But Baruch HaShem my teeth never shifted. So I was good. Overall, I wore my retainers less than a year.

My hubby wore his retainers for a very long time. His sister had to tell him to take it off when we met for the first time. After we got married he stopped wearing it as much and his teeth definitely shifted. Not enough to get Invisalign but enough. Both top and bottom. And this is with wearing it for way long. So it is not a clear cut answer. I guess depends on the type of teeth you have.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:52 am
Mine are permanent! I got the braces off at 17, and the orthodontist glued the wire right to the back of my teeth. I dont know why they dont always do that.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:56 am
Yes. It's about nine years

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:06 am
They never fit properly.
The teeth it "hooked" onto felt like they were being pulled out when I put them in.
The dentist said thats the way its supposed to be Confused
Also, it never was the right shape in front, the wire wasnt shaped like my teeth and I got them very soon after removing my braces.
He refused to give me regular retainers for my top teeth saying the clear ones, that kept falling out, are much better. And if I want them I should pay out of pocked, I know for a FACT insurance paid for it. I think he billed insurance for the refular one and gave me the cheap plastic one.

Anyway, I never wore it.
My teeth shifted and it's definitely noticable to me. But I still have a nice bite and nice teeth.
Before braces my teeth were awful, but mostly insurance paid fot it because my bite was terrible. I kept on biting the sides of my mouth and tounge and getting infected. Also, my bite was killing my teeth.

Bh my bite is great - AFTER my teeth shifted. And I think my teeth look more natural niw after they shifted. The dentist did a horrible job. He fell asleep once while changing my rubbers. <<shudder>>

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 9:35 am
I never had braces but dh wears is 32 and still wears his retainer at night.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 11:56 am
No! And I'm so upset about it. I wore them until I got married, not realizing that my teeth would shift if I didn't wear them a few nights a week. Now I need invisalign.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 12:25 pm
My teeth shifted because the orthodontist never told me I had to wear it forever. I had my teeth shaved down a little to fit and got a new retainer which I will have to wear always but only at night.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 1:34 pm
I never had braces, only invisalign. I stopped wearing my retainer after I got married and my teeth shifted very noticeably. I'm so upset. If you want to get invisalign, you need to wear retainers afterwards, and yes, forever.

oohlala

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 2:07 pm
yes. I'm 37 and finished braces when I was 18.

WWG1WGA

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 9:58 pm
OMG! Yes and I thought I was the only one! Wearing my bottom one for over 22 years embarrassed can't sleep without them!

salt

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 1:50 am
This is really interesting to hear. My DS just had his braces off (15), and I was in shock when the orthodontist said you need to wear your retainer at night until 'you have grandchildren' - I had never heard of that! I thought he was completely crazy, and had done a rubbish job because otherwise why would he be telling my son to keep his retainer for all those years?
So that's what everyone does?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 2:03 am
My husband needs braces again. He regrets not wearing his retainer

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 9:40 am
I lost it after about a year and now, 6 years later, I went to get a new one.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics