Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What are you doing on eclipse day with your kids?
1  2  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 12:44 pm
I am tempted to keep them home from daycamp and do a family viewing party.

Do you think the daycamps are planning activities around the eclipse? Is it safe for little kids? They might pull the glasses off.

What's a nice spot in Brooklyn to view the eclipse from?

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 12:52 pm
Camp is over here so we are either going to the planetarium or the local frum science center to see it. It all depends if I can take time off from work. I want my kids to experience it on some level its a once in a life time event and my oldest LOVES anything related to space and planets.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 12:58 pm
We got a letter from day camp today that they are rescheduling activities to keep the children inside during the eclipse.

I'm keeping my toddler indoors as well.

I can't imagine a camp taking responsibility for the eyesight of all their campers by encouraging viewing the eclipse. It's practically impossible to force a large group of children to wear glasses for a length of time and make sure they do when the consequences of just a few seconds of disobedience can be disastrous. Also I would imagine buying the eclipse glasses for so many people would be expensive.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 1:18 pm
Our day camp told me there won't any outdoor swimming but they don't know yet about other outdoor activities--- though they'll "try" to keep them indoors.
If they don't understand the severity, should I just take the day off and keep them home, inside?
Don't mean to hijack your thread OP.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 1:37 pm
I am worried, too! Can I manage two toddlers myself?...

And what if they wear eyeglasses? It will be even harder to keep these flimsy things on.

The expense is not so serious. 2.50 per kid? Any craft or trip etc costs way more.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 1:49 pm
At 2:45 p.m. August 21st God willing I will be doing dismissal with my students so I don't think I'll be able to really look at it and besides I am in New York so I really won't see much of it so I rely on the scientist that hopefully they'll get some nice photo shoots of it but yes I'm at work

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 1:56 pm
Anyone know what BYDC in Boro Park is doing?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 2:10 pm
I'll be taking my oldest to college. We'll be in a mountainous area at the height of the eclipse, so I hope to pull over to watch some of it. With glasses.

I'd keep small kids indoors, with shades drawn. Too difficult to make them keep glasses on, and too risky not to.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
I am tempted to keep them home from daycamp and do a family viewing party.

Do you think the daycamps are planning activities around the eclipse? Is it safe for little kids? They might pull the glasses off.

What's a nice spot in Brooklyn to view the eclipse from?

Call the Hayden Planetarium, they will be able to tell you the best places to view in the city, or check their web page, they may have some info about some good viewing spots in the metro area.

For little kids I would suggest you make a simple pinhole camera, you can position it so that your backs are to the sun. If your children are old enough you can do the old tennis ball and grapefruit demonstration of an eclipse for your children prior to its start. A white sheet on the ground also provides some exceptional eclipse effects.

ETA: If you have concerns about your kids maturity and safe live viewing, just turn on the NASA feed on your computer.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:14 pm
I'm sure it's amazing but not taking chances with little ones...got kids movies from library should hav them busy few hours...u gatta do what u gatta do!

Greenbelle

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:18 pm
Just curious... can someone enlighten me?
why do people post anonymously about something as impersonal as an eclipse?
Doesn't the screen name protect your identity anyway?
not criticizing, just wondering.
thanks.

eschaya

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:21 pm
We will be in Tennessee within totality to have the special opportunity to witness this rare phenomena.
Honestly, I don't understand the hype and fear mongering. You are never supposed to look at the sun, whether there is or isn't an eclipse. If your kid doesn't know about the partial eclipse in your area, good chance he/she will have no inclination to stare at the sun (it won't be getting dark) as he usually doesn't. So unless you made specific plans to go about viewing the eclipse in a safe manner, just go about your daily life. There is no more danger than usual (unless you are trying to visually watch the eclipse without doing so appropriately).

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:50 pm
A total eclipse isn't as rare as a once in a lifetime opportunity. They actually happen every 18 months or so.
If you miss this one you'll get another chance.

cm

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
A total eclipse isn't as rare as a once in a lifetime opportunity. They actually happen every 18 months or so.
If you miss this one you'll get another chance.

For those of us in the US, it is rare that a total solar eclipse is visible within a reasonable travel distance for so many people. It is a rare opportunity indeed.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 4:03 pm
Driving around with my kids with 74% sun covered - what do I have to know? Just not look at the sun directly? Why is different than looking at the sun on a regular day with sunglasses? I read about it, but seem to still be missing something here.
Also, we will most likely be at an outdoor birthday party during the 2.5 hours in my area. Just tell my kids not to look directly at the sun? What about through a car window? Home window?

giselle

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 4:05 pm
Greenbelle wrote:
Just curious... can someone enlighten me?
why do people post anonymously about something as impersonal as an eclipse?
Doesn't the screen name protect your identity anyway?
not criticizing, just wondering.
thanks.

I know for myself if I'm discussing a topic I may have discussed with others, I usually prefer to remain anonymous. So it may even be something as harmless as talking about an eclipse but if there is a specific detail I feel might give me away, I'd prob post anonymously.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 4:09 pm
eschaya wrote:
We will be in Tennessee within totality to have the special opportunity to witness this rare phenomena.
Honestly, I don't understand the hype and fear mongering. You are never supposed to look at the sun, whether there is or isn't an eclipse. If your kid doesn't know about the partial eclipse in your area, good chance he/she will have no inclination to stare at the sun (it won't be getting dark) as he usually doesn't. So unless you made specific plans to go about viewing the eclipse in a safe manner, just go about your daily life. There is no more danger than usual (unless you are trying to visually watch the eclipse without doing so appropriately).

Where did you read that it won't get dark? We were told the sky will darken which prompts everyone to look.

cm

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 5:22 pm
amother wrote:
Where did you read that it won't get dark? We were told the sky will darken which prompts everyone to look.

If you are in the path of totality, the sky will get dark. The farther away you are, the less effect there will be. In the New York area, the eclipse will probably not be obvious unless you look up. Because there has been so much publicity, people may go out of their way to peek.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 5:40 pm
I was in the high Sierras for the 1991 Baja eclipse. It did not get totally dark, it did turn to dusk, the day time birds went to sleep and the evening birds and bugs came out, so did the bats. It was very quiet. Nature reversed itself when it became lighter. It may not get that dark in NYC since you still have to account for daytime light pollution.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 2:10 pm
It can get dark and the sun won't be bright anymore. It will trick your eyes into thinking it is safe to look at the sun when it is dangerous. Even if it's a partial eclipse. Kids especially will be curious to look up and watch. During an eclipse the amount of radiation emmited from the sun goes up by a high precentage. I believe I read that It is tripled or doubled so even a few seconds can do much more damage than a regular day.

I suggest you do your own research online about the dangers. It isn't that hard. Do a quick Google for kid safety during the eclipse and arm yourself with knowledge. You need to be responsible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children