Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What are you doing on eclipse day with your kids?
Previous  1  2

momX4

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:30 am
Im trying to keep calm. My preschool aged dc is going to be in daycamp. I hope they keep her indoors. My preteens will be home while I work. I purchased glasses for them, I warned them about dangers, I hope they will listen.

pause

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:41 am
amother wrote:
A total eclipse isn't as rare as a once in a lifetime opportunity. They actually happen every 18 months or so.
If you miss this one you'll get another chance.

That's true but very misleading.

Its an average which means you can have them very close together and then not at all for awhile.

That's the average worldwide. The statistic for an eclipse in the exact same spot is actually once every 300 or so years.

That also includes eclipses that occur on cloudy days and over the ocean where no one can see.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:48 am
pause wrote:
That's true but very misleading.

Its an average which means you can have them very close together and then not at all for awhile.

That's the average worldwide. The statistic for an eclipse in the exact same spot is actually once every 300 or so years.

That also includes eclipses that occur on cloudy days and over the ocean where no one can see.

In 2024 there will be another solar eclipse in the northeast USA and canada. It will be even better than this one for where I live. I'm already looking forward to it. Smile it will be on rosh chodesh nissan.

pause

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 12:52 am
FYI the last total solar eclipse in the us was on Feb 26, 1979. So yeah it is major. The next one will be April 8, 2024 which for those of us with yeshiva bachurim, it'll be erev rosh chodesh Nissan a day before Bain hazmanim!

Last edited by pause on Sun, Aug 20 2017, 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 1:01 am
LovesHashem wrote:
During an eclipse the amount of radiation emmited from the sun goes up by a high precentage. I believe I read that It is tripled or doubled so even a few seconds can do much more damage than a regular day. .

If this were true we'd all need to stay inside so that we won't get burned.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 1:57 am
LovesHashem wrote:
During an eclipse the amount of radiation emmited from the sun goes up by a high precentage. I believe I read that It is tripled or doubled so even a few seconds can do much more damage than a regular day.

The rest of your post was correct. This part isn't. The moon only blocks radiation from the sun, it doesn't increase it. The sun is normally too bright to look at. During a partial eclipse (or the partial phases of a total eclipse) it can become dim enough that it becomes possible to look at, but still too bright to do so safely.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:41 am
My kids have school. My husband and I have work. Nothing special planned.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children