Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Good smelling laundry
1  2  Next

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 4:01 pm
I've always used clear and free laundry detergent and dryer sheets, since my kids get itchy from scents. I really want my laundry to smell good. Is there anything that can make it smell good that won't make them itchy?

loveit

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 6:35 pm
Following, same situation here

yogabird

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 7:12 pm
Vinegar and essential oils of choice, dampen a washcloth and toss into dryer with clothes

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 7:37 pm
In the winter when I want my laundry to have a clean scent I take one of those fabric tea bags and stuff it full of rosemary or some lavender or calendula flowers I dried during the summer.

jewwoman

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 5:13 pm
So,lenor has brought out these pearls called lenor unstoppables recently. Ill leave a link. They are scented and smell amazing im not sure if they make kids itch. http://www.lenor.com/uk/produc.....D_BwE

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 8:42 pm
yogabird wrote:
Vinegar and essential oils of choice, dampen a washcloth and toss into dryer with clothes

What purpose does the vinegar have?

yogabird

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 10:01 pm
Softens the laundry

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 10:55 pm
I've tried so many.

Most free and clear detergent are "tziker vasser" ("sugar water" meaning they aren't worth anything)
The best I could find was the white gentle amd clear hypoallergenic PERSIL detergent.
It smells nice.
Selestial Soap makes a really nice smelling fabric softener that's cheap too. No itching bh. But their detergents are worse than worthless. Might as well just use plain water. They made some fruit and juice stains so bad, it wouldn't come out after that. Here is there link. https://mygreenfills.com

GL

cm

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 11:10 pm
How about using a scented sachet in your own closet rather than using scented products for the whole family?

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:24 am
Just last week I started using tide pods the 4 in 1 which includes downy. I love the new smell of my laundry

benny

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 7:22 am
I use downy unstoppables. Love the smell but not sure about the itchy part.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 7:31 am
What about putting bounce sheets in the dryer? Doesn't help for stuff that gets hung to dry though. And idk if it's good or bad for allergic/sensitive skin.

Zeleze

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 6:12 am
I once heard that make a short cycle with a cup or 2 of vinegar, and this takes out all bad smells from the machine (I would imagine that it's done without any other clothing)

Anyone heard of this ever?

funmother

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 8:22 am
Zeleze wrote:
I once heard that make a short cycle with a cup or 2 of vinegar, and this takes out all bad smells from the machine (I would imagine that it's done without any other clothing)

Anyone heard of this ever?

Add a cup to your load to take out a bad smell
Vinegar is a neutraluze

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 8:38 am
I just started trying Mrs Meyer softener and my laundry smells delicious. Not sure if it's all dye free though....

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 8:41 am
yogabird wrote:

You dampen the cloth with vinegar? Or with water? Also, where does one purchase essential oils? Would this process work as an air freshener for a room as well???

yogabird

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 8:57 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
You dampen the cloth with vinegar? Or with water? Also, where does one purchase essential oils? Would this process work as an air freshener for a room as well???

Sorry I wasn't so clear. You mix a few drops of essential oils into vinegar, and either put in a spray bottle and spray a washcloth until damp but not soaking right before putting in the dryer, or you can soak a bunch of washcloths in the solution in an airtight container ready for use, and just take one out when you need it.

essential oils can be purchased online, or in health food stores. they are expensive but last a long time as they are very potent and only a few drops are needed at a time. Do you research before buying though, as many brands out there are fake.

essentials oils can be used to freshen a room, but in that case I'd either diffuse with a diffuser, or mix with water and spray into air.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 2:25 pm
thanks, I didn't know that vinegar softens laundry.

when washing new dark clothing for the first time, I add 1/2 cup vinegar to a full cycle, it prevents the dark color from eventually fading and looking washed out.

re soap powder: some of my children are also sensitive skinned, so I use soap powder for babies clothing - "Maxima Sensitive" and I also add "badin" softener - the laundry really smells good.
for those who aren't sensitive, I have a scented spray for clothing which I spritz every couple of weeks onto the clothing hanging in the cupboard.

Jalapeño

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 2:43 pm
I put essential oil into my wash (with and without vinegar), but I find the scent doesn't linger long past its drying.
Does anyone know if there's a way to keep the scents longer?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 2:59 pm
Jalapeño wrote:
I put essential oil into my wash (with and without vinegar), but I find the scent doesn't linger long past its drying.
Does anyone know if there's a way to keep the scents longer?

I read about putting essential oil into a mini spray bottle and spraying wool dryer balls to add to the dryer. Supposed to work really well but uses up more of the oil.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry