Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Eclipse
1  2  3  Next

iamawesome

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 10:25 pm
Any information would be appreciated. I've read so many random things but I'm still confused... specifically in regard to the dangers.. I live in the tristate area and have an appointment scheduled at 2... is that an issue. What about at home, do we have to close the blinds? What are my children at risk for? Must they be cooped up for three hours? Any factual info would be appreciated...

oliveoil

Post Sat, Aug 19 2017, 11:06 pm
The sun is no more dangerous than it is any other time. The only danger is that on an average day people don't go outside and stare at the sun, which on an eclipse they are tempted to do.

benny

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 4:26 am
I believe also that on a regular day when you try looking at the sun, you can't because you automatically squint and shut your eyes. But since now the sun will be mostly covered by the moon, you will be able to look at it, but the rays are just as strong.

iamawesome

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 5:31 am
So can I go out to an appointment? What if I look at the sun by accident? Do I have to shut my shades in my house?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 5:33 am
benny wrote:
I believe also that on a regular day when you try looking at the sun, you can't because you automatically squint and shut your eyes. But since now the sun will be mostly covered by the moon, you will be able to look at it, but the rays are just as strong.

It's not that the sun is just as bright, partially covering a light source makes it dimmer, it's that it's dim enough to look at but still too bright to do so safely.

nottelling

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 5:44 am
how long is the actual danger of looking at the sun for?
I've heard either 2 MINUTES or 2 HOURS-- which one?? also, is it dangerous if we are inside and sun rays come into the house??

keep looking but cant find clear info... please inform!

strong mom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:02 am
When you try to look on the sun your retina becomes tiny as not to let in the Rays. By an eclipse your retina stays the same big so it lets in more rays so it's more dangerous then when you normally try to look at the sun. When it's a totally eclipse-when the Moon is in the middle of the sun you are allowed to look at the sun which is exactly 2 minutes and 40 seconds but that's only in the few states that you live. most people are going to have a partial eclipse which is dangerous cuz then the race comes over , it looks like a diamond ring and you have to cover your eyes with the glasses. That is going to be a total of two and a half hours from when the moon is going to start going through the Sun so the beginning it's still going to be very strong and nobody's is going to look but as it's going to move closer to the sun it's going to become more visible then it's going to become more dangerous . In New York is going to be around from 2:15 through 3:15 that is going to be the most dangerous

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:08 am
strong mom wrote:
When you try to look on the sun your retina becomes tiny as not to let in the Rays. By an eclipse your retina stays the same big so it lets in more rays so it's more dangerous then when you normally try to look at the sun. When it's a totally eclipse-when the Moon is in the middle of the sun you are allowed to look at the sun which is exactly 2 minutes and 40 seconds but that's only in the few states that you live. most people are going to have a partial eclipse which is dangerous cuz then the race comes over , it looks like a diamond ring and you have to cover your eyes with the glasses. That is going to be a total of two and a half hours from when the moon is going to start going through the Sun so the beginning it's still going to be very strong and nobody's is going to look but as it's going to move closer to the sun it's going to become more visible then it's going to become more dangerous . In New York is going to be around from 2:15 through 3:15 that is going to be the most dangerous

It's the pupil that expands and contracts, and the retina that is at risk of damage.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:11 am
nottelling wrote:
is it dangerous if we are inside and sun rays come into the house??

Not unless you look directly at the sun from inside the house.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:13 am
It's always dangerous to look at the sun except when it is in full eclipse — that means looking at the sun is only safe when the sun is completely covered by the moon. The sun will not be completely covered by the moon anywhere near the tri-state area. Part of the sun's disc will be covered but not all of it.

Looking at the sun is not safe. Looking at the sun through a camera is not safe. Looking at the sun through a telescope or binoculars is not safe. Looking at the sun while wearing certified eclipse glasses is safe but only for a few minutes at a time.

Sunshine coming into your house is safe, but don't don't look at the sun. Going outside and not looking at the sun is safe (but be careful of distracted drivers).

Again, the danger is looking at the sun, and a solar eclipse is so unusual that people want to look.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:46 am
nottelling wrote:
how long is the actual danger of looking at the sun for?
I've heard either 2 MINUTES or 2 HOURS-- which one?? also, is it dangerous if we are inside and sun rays come into the house??

keep looking but cant find clear info... please inform!

There is a 2.5 hour window of the eclipse, and the totality of the eclipse, I.e. the pure experience, what people are traveling to see and study, is less than 10 minutes in the middle. I'm wondering at what point it gets dangerous to look.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:48 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
It's always dangerous to look at the sun except when it is in full eclipse — that means looking at the sun is only safe when the sun is completely covered by the moon. The sun will not be completely covered by the moon anywhere near the tri-state area. Part of the sun's disc will be covered but not all of it.

I just want to stress that by full eclipse, I.e. the totality, AIUI, it means it's only safe to look if in the 70 mile band of the country that can see the full eclipse. Outside that band, during the totality, even if it's estimated to be as high as 80%, it's not safe to look.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 6:54 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I'm wondering at what point it gets dangerous to look.

It becomes dangerous to look when it becomes possible to.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 8:27 am
strong mom wrote:

There is so much dangerous misinformation in this post I don't know where to begin. Let's start with no, you are not allowed to look at the sun even during totality unless you have special eclipse glasses. The moon does not totally cover the sun; the corona, which is a ring of light that the moon does not cover, will still burn your eyes.

Btw, it's the pupils of the eye that change size. The retina is the part of the eye where the lens focuses the light, and it is this that gets damaged when exposed to excessively bright light. (The lens and cornea can also be burned but the retina is the most critical.) Even if your pupils are already contracted, enough radiation enters the eye to cause damage.

Personally I don't trust eclipse glasses and have no intention of looking at the sun even though dh bought glasses from what is supposedly a reputable company, made in USA with all the right labeling. I will be quite content to use a pinhole device.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 8:44 am
zaq wrote:
There is so much dangerous misinformation in this post I don't know where to begin. Let's start with no, you are not allowed to look at the sun even during totality unless you have special eclipse glasses. The moon does not totally cover the sun; the corona, which is a ring of light that the moon does not cover, will still burn your eyes.

Btw, it's the pupils of the eye that change size. The retina is the part of the eye where the lens focuses the light, and it is this that gets damaged when exposed to excessively bright light. (The lens and cornea can also be burned but the retina is the most critical.) Even if your pupils are already contracted, enough radiation enters the eye to cause damage.

Personally I don't trust eclipse glasses and have no intention of looking at the sun even though dh bought glasses from what is supposedly a reputable company, made in USA with all the right labeling. I will be quite content to use a pinhole device.

This is what I am worrying about re my DD. She will be visiting a friend near Nashville TN (in the totality zone) tomorrow and they plan on attending some sort of mass viewing event. The friend supposedly has procured glasses but I am also wary of their effectiveness. Nothing I can do about it except share my concern with her and hope for the best. Sad

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:04 am
zaq wrote:
Let's start with no, you are not allowed to look at the sun even during totality unless you have special eclipse glasses. The moon does not totally cover the sun; the corona, which is a ring of light that the moon does not cover, will still burn your eyes.

I found at https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety, "Looking directly at the sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (“totality”), when the moon entirely blocks the sun’s bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality." and "If you are within the path of totality (https://go.nasa.gov/2pC0lhe), remove your solar filter only when the moon completely covers the sun’s bright face and it suddenly gets quite dark. Experience totality, then, as soon as the bright sun begins to reappear, replace your solar viewer to look at the remaining partial phases."

And at https://www.scientificamerican.....yes/, "The only time it's safe to look at the sun without eclipse glasses or other solar filters is during totality, when the moon is completely blocking out the sun's rays and only the corona is visible. ... But definitely don't forget to take off your solar eclipse glasses during totality, when the sun is 100 percent covered by the moon. In fact, if you don't remove your solar filters during totality, you won't be able to see anything at all. "

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 2:15 pm
etky wrote:
This is what I am worrying about re my DD. She will be visiting a friend near Nashville TN (in the totality zone) tomorrow and they plan on attending some sort of mass viewing event. The friend supposedly has procured glasses but I am also wary of their effectiveness. Nothing I can do about it except share my concern with her and hope for the best. Sad

I seriously would not be concerned. I'm sure she or her friends have procured legitimate viewing glasses for the event.

FWIW this isn't my first eclipse/rodeo, but I just don't get why people are getting so freeked out about ?

Yiddis

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:36 pm
So the simple question is, if I go outside during the partial eclipse, must I be wearing the special glasses? I won't be looking directly at the sun. Will everyone be walking down the streets with them? shock

shyshira

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:39 pm
Yiddis wrote:
So the simple question is, if I go outside during the partial eclipse, must I be wearing the special glasses? I won't be looking directly at the sun. Will everyone be walking down the streets with them? shock

No glasses required. nobody will be walking down the street with them - you can't see through them. It's like walking with a blindfold.

Last edited by shyshira on Sun, Aug 20 2017, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

naomi6

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:48 pm
Can we be outside if we don't look? Can we look from inside through the window
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics