Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Eclipse
Previous  1  2  3

simcha4

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 4:08 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
DTSOM=Dark Side of The Moon, an album by Pink Floyd.

Our totality was around 2 minutes. It was amazing seeing Venus and Saturn at 10am. The temperature drop was about 20 degrees.

tx for answering. I can imagine it was amazing.
20 degrees F. that must've been a refreshing cooling for this summer's heatwave.
but only 2 mins.??
I thought it was supposed to be around 3 hours? or did other parts of the US have longer totality?

simcha4

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 4:15 pm
marina wrote:
Personally, I recommend that you turn around. Especially if you fall apart., every now and then.

^^^ not legal advice.

so, marina, did u follow your advice?
I hope u don't still feel dizzy from all that turnin'

reminds me of a childhood song - "the wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round ..."
and we little tykes turned round and round, round and round ... when we sang that song.

chmom

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 6:33 pm
simcha4 wrote:
who/what is Pink Floyd?

yeah, I already admitted I'm an igno in some areas of life; this is one of them.
1 min. my mind is bubbling now - pink floyd, mmmm pink floyd.... any connection to 'hotel california' and 'sounds of silence?'

Pink Floyd is a british band from the 70/80s. Their most famous album was The Wall
Hotel Caifornia is by the Eagles ( california / west coast band) and sounds of silence is by Simon and Garfunkel ( a singer/songwriter duo)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 6:46 pm
zaq wrote:
There is so much dangerous misinformation in this post I don't know where to begin. Let's start with no, you are not allowed to look at the sun even during totality unless you have special eclipse glasses. The moon does not totally cover the sun; the corona, which is a ring of light that the moon does not cover, will still burn your eyes.

Btw, it's the pupils of the eye that change size. The retina is the part of the eye where the lens focuses the light, and it is this that gets damaged when exposed to excessively bright light. (The lens and cornea can also be burned but the retina is the most critical.) Even if your pupils are already contracted, enough radiation enters the eye to cause damage.

Personally I don't trust eclipse glasses and have no intention of looking at the sun even though dh bought glasses from what is supposedly a reputable company, made in USA with all the right labeling. I will be quite content to use a pinhole device.

According to all sources I've seen, during totality, no glasses were necessarty.

cm

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 6:47 pm
simcha4 wrote:
tx for answering. I can imagine it was amazing.
20 degrees F. that must've been a refreshing cooling for this summer's heatwave.
but only 2 mins.??
I thought it was supposed to be around 3 hours? or did other parts of the US have longer totality?

Partial eclipse was about 3 hours from start to finish.

Total eclipse was about 2 1/2 minutes max, less farther from the center of the path of totality.

cm

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 6:49 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
According to all sources I've seen, during totality, no glasses were necessarty.

If you wear eclipse glasses during totality, you won't see anything.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 7:14 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

It was easy to tell when to put your glasses back on after totality. The whole experience was pretty impressive.

grace413

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 11:23 pm
marina wrote:
Personally, I recommend that you turn around. Especially if you fall apart., every now and then.

^^^ not legal advice.

I flew my Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

etky

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 2:31 am
grace413 wrote:
I flew my Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

So, like many of my generation, I too had Bonnie Tyler in my head as the soundtrack for this eclipse.
However, when I saw the live footage of the eclipse in Oregon - and especially after totality, when the crowd began to cheer as the sun began to emerge from behind the moon, all I could think of was המאיר לארץ ולדרים עליה ברחמים
This whole event really bought home what the earth would look and feel like without the warming and illuminating rays of the sun.
There was some (for us here in Israel, theoretical) discussion in various media outlets about whether those observing the eclipse need to say a bracha. I don't think any definitive conclusions were reached but now, after having seen the eclipse, albeit secondhand, I can certainly understand the urge to utter something that connects the event to G-d. For the religious person, this was a tremendous manifestation of His design.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 4:21 am
etky wrote:
So, like many of my generation, I too had Bonnie Tyler in my head as the soundtrack for this eclipse.

I'm more of a Carry Simon gal.
Music

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 7:42 am
etky wrote:
However, when I saw the live footage of the eclipse in Oregon - and especially after totality, when the crowd began to cheer as the sun began to emerge from behind the moon, all I could think of was המאיר לארץ ולדרים עליה ברחמים
This whole event really bought home what the earth would look and feel like without the warming and illuminating rays of the sun.
There was some (for us here in Israel, theoretical) discussion in various media outlets about whether those observing the eclipse need to say a bracha. I don't think any definitive conclusions were reached but now, after having seen the eclipse, albeit secondhand, I can certainly understand the urge to utter something that connects the event to G-d. For the religious person, this was a tremendous manifestation of His design.

I think that halacha is clear that we don't say a bracha. Why is an interesting discussion.
And yes, gratitude for all the sun does for us is definitely an important lesson. I can think of numerous places in davening where I'll try to think of what you wrote. But I'll also try to remember this:
Rabbi Shmuel Pliskin zt”l, a talmid of the Yeshiva in Radin, in an article published in the monthly Eretz Yisroel Torah Journal titled “Bais Yaakov” (Elul 5722/1962, Page 13 – see http://hebrewbooks.org/27762) indicates the following. The Chofetz Chaim instructed the residents of Radin to view a solar eclipse (that occurred in Radin) to see how the Ribono Shel Olam slowly ceases the koach of the mighty sun, which is worshipped by some nations as an Avoda Zarah, to show that the sun was nivra (created) and is a not a borei (creator). The article goes on to describe how everyone gathered together with the Chofetz Chaim early in the morning to view this great event. http://matzav.com/star-ks-top-.....ipse/
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics