Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Update freezing Challa dough

Maryann

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 1:10 pm
Hi, I froze my dough that u made on Wed. Then at 730 on Fri morning I took it out of the freezer. When u got back form work at 2pm. I punched the dough down and shaped then and let rise another 45 min before baking.
They tasted horrible. The dough never really rose properly any of the times. Usually my Challa is light fluffy and really delicious. It really wasn't good.

Any advice,? What am I doing wrong? How is this supposed to be done? Tia!

cnc

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 1:59 pm
I once refrigerated my dough for a day and let it rise again and had similar results to you. It was dense as opposed to the usual fluffy. The taste as different too.

chicco

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 2:36 pm
The people I know who do this let the dough rise once, braid it, and then immediately freeze. Then they defrost, let rise and bake.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 2:49 pm
Maryann wrote:
Hi, I froze my dough that u made on Wed. Then at 730 on Fri morning I took it out of the freezer. When u got back form work at 2pm. I punched the dough down and shaped then and let rise another 45 min before baking.
They tasted horrible. The dough never really rose properly any of the times. Usually my Challa is light fluffy and really delicious. It really wasn't good.

Any advice,? What am I doing wrong? How is this supposed to be done? Tia!

I hate frozen challah dough too. I freeze ready challah either fully baked or almost fully baked and the challah tastes delicious.
I do sometimes refrigerate the dough overnight but only if I put it right into the fridge, no rising before (and no over-rising after removed from fridge next morning) otherwise you'll end up with that same taste.

Maryann

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 2:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I hate frozen challah dough too. I freeze ready challah either fully baked or almost fully baked and the challah tastes delicious.
I do sometimes refrigerate the dough overnight but only if I put it right into the fridge, no rising before (and no over-rising after removed from fridge next morning) otherwise you'll end up with that same taste.

how long do u bake the Challa for it to be 'almost fully baked?'

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 3:13 pm
Maryann wrote:
how long do u bake the Challa for it to be 'almost fully baked?'

I usually fully bake for 45 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Wrap well and freeze.
Wrap challah completely in foil and heat in oven.
My MIL bakes for 30 minutes, removes from pan and once cool freezes, and puts it back in the oven fully frozen and uncovered on a cookie sheet (no pans) for another 30 minutes for crisp crust.

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 5:24 pm
chicco wrote:
The people I know who do this let the dough rise once, braid it, and then immediately freeze. Then they defrost, let rise and bake.

That is what I do and it comes out delicious. I kneed the dough. Let it rise for an hr. Then I braid it put eggs and seeds on top and freeze. Friday I take it out of the oven let it defrost\rise on counter for three hrs then bake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads