Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What is lw and rw

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 8:24 pm
Please excuse my question, I'm from a very 'OUT of it country' what is left and right wing? I'm understanding right wing is more chassidsh, frum, religious? And left wing is more modern orthodox, modern, less frum? Is this correct?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 8:28 pm
I wouldn't use less frum.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't use less frum.

So can you explain what it means?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
So can you explain what it means?

Some things you just need to learn from context. Was there something specific posted here you needed clarity on?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:08 pm
Read the whole thing before you complain.

Version 1

RW means

The epitome of what Torah is truly about. More committed to halacha. Closer to the truth of Torah. Cares about Hashem so very much. Learns so much. Follows every Halacha carefully. Tzaddikim who make this world a better place, without their learning the world could not continue to exist.

LW means

A distortion of the Torah. Less committed to halacha. Cares about doing what they want rather than what Hashem wants. Does not learn much so does not know halacha. Is not careful about halacha, makes up leniencies or ignores it altogether. Has led to the total destruction of Torah Jewry through assimilation and intermarriage. Some even say, responsible for the holocaust.

Version 2

RW means

A distortion of the Torah. Is not committed to halacha, but rather oppression of the masses and conformity. Makes up stringencies and reforms halacha to be totally against Hashem's plan. Cares more about what other people think than what Hashem thinks. Does not learn from the wisdom of the non jews. Doesn't learn proper Torah but often "chassidish reform" material made up over he last 300 years. Doesn't let woman learn anything. Some say that failure to be aware of what was going on in the world directly led to millions being killed in the holocaust.

LW means

The epitome of what Torah is truly about. Everyone in the community, including women, are deeply involved in learning both Torah and secular subjects. Teach their womanfolk properly, including Talmud. Care about Hashem, but value bein Adam lchavero mitzvahs very highly as well. Care about human rights for all people, tolerance and acceptance of others. Their act are the ultimate tikun Olam.

I personally believe that-
Version 1 is true for RW
Version 2 is true for LW

...but it would be better to move away from all labels and just see each other as Jews.

Signed,

A committed centrist.

Eilu veilu divrei elokim chayim!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
Some things you just need to learn from context. Was there something specific posted here you needed clarity on?

I guess I was asking for clarification bc I didn't totally understand the thread of `changed after marriage '

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
I guess I was asking for clarification bc I didn't totally understand the thread of `changed after marriage '

Ok. So you want to understand what moving more to the right of very Yeshivish means? As opposed to 'just plain frum?'

If I had to guess in this context - right of very yeshivish means taking on more chumras. Just plain frum means leading a pious life, but day to day life not strongly tied to a kollel.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. So you want to understand what moving more to the right of very Yeshivish means? As opposed to 'just plain frum?'

If I had to guess in this context - right of very yeshivish means taking on more chumras. Just plain frum means leading a pious life, but day to day life not strongly tied to a kollel.

Thank you, so what is she saying that she loosened up a little? But she is upset she didn't take more chumros?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you, so what is she saying that she loosened up a little? But she is upset she didn't take more chumros?

I wouldn't use the term 'loosened up', nor did she say she was upset. Otherwise I think you got it.

jeweled

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:18 pm
amother wrote:
Read the whole thing before you complain.

Version 1

RW means

The epitome of what Torah is truly about. More committed to halacha. Closer to the truth of Torah. Cares about Hashem so very much. Learns so much. Follows every Halacha carefully. Tzaddikim who make this world a better place, without their learning the world could not continue to exist.

LW means

A distortion of the Torah. Less committed to halacha. Cares about doing what they want rather than what Hashem wants. Does not learn much so does not know halacha. Is not careful about halacha, makes up leniencies or ignores it altogether. Has led to the total destruction of Torah Jewry through assimilation and intermarriage. Some even say, responsible for the holocaust.

Version 2

RW means

A distortion of the Torah. Is not committed to halacha, but rather oppression of the masses and conformity. Makes up stringencies and reforms halacha to be totally against Hashem's plan. Cares more about what other people think than what Hashem thinks. Does not learn from the wisdom of the non jews. Doesn't learn proper Torah but often "chassidish reform" material made up over he last 300 years. Doesn't let woman learn anything. Some say that failure to be aware of what was going on in the world directly led to millions being killed in the holocaust.

LW means

The epitome of what Torah is truly about. Everyone in the community, including women, are deeply involved in learning both Torah and secular subjects. Teach their womanfolk properly, including Talmud. Care about Hashem, but value bein Adam lchavero mitzvahs very highly as well. Care about human rights for all people, tolerance and acceptance of others. Their act are the ultimate tikun Olam.

I personally believe that-
Version 1 is true for RW
Version 2 is true for LW

...but it would be better to move away from all labels and just see each other as Jews.

Signed,

A committed centrist.

Eilu veilu divrei elokim chayim!

Love this!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't use the term 'loosened up', nor did she say she was upset. Otherwise I think you got it.

Thx aqua

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 10:28 pm
jeweled wrote:
Love this!

Oh, thank you jeweled.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions