Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Are you sending your kids to camp tomorrow during eclipse?

yummy2smiles

Post Sun, Aug 20 2017, 11:59 pm
I'm debating keeping my 2 year old home from camp tomorrow or at least half a day from 1-4pm (NY eclipse time). The camp said they will try to keep all the kids indoors from 1-4 but I don't feel comfortable leaving my son's eyesight in someone else's hands who will only "try." Am I being too cautious or is anyone else keeping their kids home tomorrow?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 12:14 am
Wouldn't that depend on the sun exposure of the camp's location? You could have a S. Western exposure but the sun could be obscured by buildings or trees. Or the location could be lacking a S. Western exposure.

yummy2smiles

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 12:18 am
No, I was told my eye doctor you're not supposed to gaze at the sun from 1-4 and to keep an extra eye on the kids because they may be tempted to gaze since they can due to partial eclipse. You can see the sun from any location where I live and probably most places other than cities like Manhattan with skyscrapers to block the sun.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 12:29 am
yummy2smiles wrote:
I'm debating keeping my 2 year old home from camp tomorrow or at least half a day from 1-4pm (NY eclipse time). The camp said they will try to keep all the kids indoors from 1-4 but I don't feel comfortable leaving my son's eyesight in someone else's hands who will only "try." Am I being too cautious or is anyone else keeping their kids home tomorrow?

thats so odd. what if there was a thunderstorm from 1-4 tomorrow (or any day this summer) Does the camp not have sufficient indoor space?

My 2 year old's camp sent us an email that she will be inside.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 12:35 am
I'm keeping my toddler indoors per my pediatrician's recommendation.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 12:59 am
yummy2smiles wrote:

When our day camp initially told us that they weren't sure if they'd be having all indoor activities during the time of the eclipse, I also planned to keep the kids home. I don't think you're being too cautious.

R3D

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 2:09 am
Friday DD brought home a note saying their going to adventurers, that just doesn't make sense will call in morn to make sure it's canceled. older DD is scared to go to day camp incase she looks out the window, she wants to stay home.

SingALong

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 6:05 am
Day camp will be doing indoor activities from 1-4. I'm letting my big kids go since they're old enough to understand not to look at the sky. Also got them solar glasses. But for the most part they'll be inside.
My younger ones I plan on keeping home. We'll do baking, crafts and a video. I'm treating it like a rainy day. They'll go to D.C. In the morning but I'll pick them up for lunch and keep them inside with me till 4.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 9:49 am
I feel like I am the only one who is so not "invested" in the eclipse?
I didn't even tell my kids about it and I assume that if they do go outside to see the eclipse the school knows to give them special glasses. My older ones will be in day camp until late anyway and my little one comes home at 3 so I can watch him then.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 9:56 am
My kids are in camp today. The camp sent home a note that they're keeping the kids indoors this afternoon. My 9 year old has a trip but they're going to an arcade. I explained exactly why it's not safe to look at the sun during the eclipse and told him to be careful not to look when he's on the bus.

I'm keeping my toddler indoors this afternoon.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 10:31 am
I sent glasses with the older ones and a note with the little ones asking them to keep them inside despite whatever outdoor activities they may have planned, including swimming. I also called the daycamp director. She said they will be taking the 5+ olds outside with the eclipse glasses in twos and threes in order to keep them safe. I'm a bit uneasy, but I don't want my daughter to miss out on this.

I gave them all safety lectures here at home, too.

I completely forgot to worry about the bus. My kids come home after 4, which means it will be winding down here in NY at that point so they shouldn't be that tempted to look anymore.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 3:05 pm
Are you serious? I've been through one or two eclipses in my lifetime. Stop stressing.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 5:49 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Are you serious? I've been through one or two eclipses in my lifetime. Stop stressing.

This. It wasn't such an issue when we had it in England. I've been really surprised about the amount of coverage and worrying it's causing on here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics