Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Shoulder steak in grill pan

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 1:54 pm
I have two shoulder steaks defrosting now that I plan on using for supper tonight. What is a quick and easy way to make them on a grill pan. I will have time to marinade for an hr so when I get home.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 5:02 pm
Shoulder steak is very lean and can be dry. It is also cut thin. Sear just a bit on each side and serve immediately. Would be good as sandwich steak.

Maryann

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 10:39 am
Isn't this a slow and low meat?

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:06 am
Shoulder steak - as the name implies - comes from the front "shoulder" of the cow. Because the cow uses that muscle to move it is a tougher meat than cuts which come from parts of the cow that don't do much work like the tush area LOL

Typically these tough cuts are braised or stewed as this process tenderizes the meat but they can be grilled if you do it correctly. Braising is really the best way to cut any cut of meat from the shoulder whatever it is "called" by the butcher.

They should be cooked rare to medium rare because well done toughens them even more.

They need to be sliced against the grain so that eating the slices isn't like eating shoe leather.

Rest the meat for at least ten minutes so that you don't lose all the juices when the meat is sliced - all meat should be rested anyway

Marinating for up to 24 hours helps to tenderize a tough cut of meat

This Grilled Chuck Steak Recipe marinates for 24 hours in a mixture of oil, vinegar, and Italian spices. You grill it, then top it with Italian herb compound butter and for a fraction of the price you can have a steakhouse-quality meal at home!

HOW TO MAKE CHUCK STEAK TENDER

The best method to tenderize a tough steak like this one is to marinate it. I went with Italian herbs and spices with this recipe.

It's important that the marinade contain an acid such as vinegar or lemon juice because that acid will help to break down the fibers in the meat.

To make the marinade: Combine 4 Tbsp. olive oil, 5 Tbsp. red wine vinegar, 4 cloves of minced garlic,
1 tsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, ΒΌ tsp. kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Combine all of these ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together completely.
Place the steaks in a cake pan or some type of flat-bottomed pan and pour the marinade over the top. Turn them a few times to make sure the steaks are completely coated in the marinade.
Cover the to

p of the pan in plastic wrap and place the steaks in the refrigerator to marinate for 24 hours.

Heat the oil until hot in one very large or two smaller, sturdy skillets. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper, and place in the hot oil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes over medium to high heat on each side for 1-inch steaks (medium rare).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:15 am
The shoulder steaks I've seen are less than 1/2" inch thick and very hard to achieve steak that isn't dry, no matter what the method, even low and slow. Which is why I consider it sandwich steak that gets grilled for barely any time.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
The shoulder steaks I've seen are less than 1/2" inch thick and very hard to achieve steak that isn't dry, no matter what the method, even low and slow. Which is why I consider it sandwich steak that gets grilled for barely any time.

Ty
So how do you recommend I make it

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 11:59 am
Heat a dry clean skillet over medium high heat, until you feel the heat rising 8 inches above the pan. (Will take a while - imoprtant step to get the pan very hot).
Place a bit of olive oil to pan. Add steaks immediately. Do not move steaks around. As soon as the surface has seared, flip it (do not now alow the sides to start browning the way up the sides, it will be too overcooked). Flip over and finish cooking, about 1 minute. Wrap tightly in foil and let sit for 5 minutes while you sear the rest of the steaks. Serve immediately (great drizzled with chimichurri or something else).

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 12:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Heat a dry clean skillet over medium high heat, until you feel the heat rising 8 inches above the pan. (Will take a while - imoprtant step to get the pan very hot).
Place a bit of olive oil to pan. Add steaks immediately. Do not move steaks around. As soon as the surface has seared, flip it (do not now alow the sides to start browning the way up the sides, it will be too overcooked). Flip over and finish cooking, about 1 minute. Wrap tightly in foil and let sit for 5 minutes while you sear the rest of the steaks. Serve immediately (great drizzled with chimichurri or something else).

Ty!!!

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 6:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:

What other sauce can I serve over it?
Tysm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics