Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Staten island chasidish community
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 9:16 pm
Which area are the chasidish people living? Anyone live there and can tell me how you manage with the kids as far as friends /simchas, etc?
How often is there a shuttle to bp and how much does it cost?

Kumphort

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 10:46 pm
Not chassis but can answer some of your questions

Here is the link with the scheduling of the shuttle
http://sidirect.us
It has the prices etc
I think they worked out free bussing for schooling
People also post on WhatsApp groups for rides. There are dedicated ride sharing groups

Chassidim are moving into manor heights and westerleigh. More manor heights though. You might want to find out which chassidic groups are going to which areas though.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 11:23 pm
My parents live in Willowbrook and many chassidish families live on their block

Kumphort

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 11:27 pm
But people are spreading out more now cause they can get more for their $$ and they are no longer the first ones moving to the new areas

tf

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 11:53 pm
Kumphort wrote:
But people are spreading out more now cause they can get more for their $$ and they are no longer the first ones moving to the new areas

What are the new areas?

tf

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 11:57 pm
pesek zman wrote:
My parents live in Willowbrook and many chassidish families live on their block

Which chassidus live there? Ger, Bobov, Satmar, etc? If a chassid is from a different chassidus, are they friends anyway? Some chassidishe people are not that friendly with people from other chassidus. Is it that way in SI with most, a part, or not at all?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 12:05 am
tf wrote:
Which chassidus live there? Ger, Bobov, Satmar, etc? If a chassid is from a different chassidus, are they friends anyway? Some chassidishe people are not that friendly with people from other chassidus. Is it that way in SI with most, a part, or not at all?

Honestly I'm not chassidish so I don't know the difference. What I do know is just the ones who live there are SO friendly: my parents (LW MO) have made several friendships with their new neighbors

tf

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 12:15 am
pesek zman wrote:
Honestly I'm not chassidish so I don't know the difference. What I do know is just the ones who live there are SO friendly: my parents (LW MO) have made several friendships with their new neighbors

Your parents might be receptive to all different cultures, which is outstanding and applausible, but my question is mainly directed at the group in general, most people.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 12:35 am
tf wrote:
Your parents might be receptive to all different cultures, which is outstanding and applausible, but my question is mainly directed at the group in general, most people.

Ok I'll bite, who are the 'most people' you refer to?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 12:49 am
tf wrote:
l

I'm sorry. I don't understand your point, but I'm guessing that you'd rather chassidim (rather than native staten islanders from the larger frum community) answer your question, so I'll back out

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 1:02 am
I have cousins in S.I. they are neutral chasidish. They are very happy with their move. They moved to S.I because its more affordable. Shul seems good. During the week they all comute to brooklyn to jobs and childrens to school and they mostly shop in brooklyn too.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:51 am
tf wrote:

There is a big Israeli community especially Ger and Belz.
They have random chasidus there too like skvere, emunas Yisroel.

I found the people that moved there are not Ultra Chasidish, when it comes to clothing. Like the wife would wear a 15-17" slightly passed the shoulder wig but not longer- which is officially frowned upon in Chasidish communities.
They are not the cover your shaitel type of chasidish.

But then again these people just dont want to be in a box but they will not cross certain lines.

Please do not comment anything hateful against chasidim.
Thank you

tf

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 7:27 am
amother wrote:

Please do not comment anything hateful against chasidim.
Thank you

Thank you for the entire message. It gave me a better idea of what to expect. Especially thanks to the quoted text.

yoyof

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 2:36 pm
Could you list reliable and reasonable roofer and floor person thank you!!

happy12

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 2:40 pm
quote "I found the people that moved there are not Ultra Chasidish, when it comes to clothing. Like the wife would wear a 15-17" slightly passed the shoulder wig but not longer- which is officially frowned upon in Chasidish communities.
They are not the cover your shaitel type of chasidish. "

This is so not true. There maybe a few like those but most are not. I personally know two people who double cover. plus a few from different chassiduses

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 3:04 pm
I know 3 people living there. 1 wears a regular shaitel and always has. 1 wears a short shaitel because of chassidus. 1 wears a chassidish covered short shaitel.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 3:35 pm
I am not yeshivish so I'm not sure if u are interested in my say... But I live here. They are moving everywhere possible no specific neighborhood

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 3:41 pm
happy12 wrote:
quote "I found the people that moved there are not Ultra Chasidish, when it comes to clothing. Like the wife would wear a 15-17" slightly passed the shoulder wig but not longer- which is officially frowned upon in Chasidish communities.
They are not the cover your shaitel type of chasidish. "

This is so not true. There maybe a few like those but most are not. I personally know two people who double cover. plus a few from different chassiduses

Same here.

staten islander

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 10:19 pm
There is a chasidish shtiebel in Willowbrook with all types of hasidim. From what I have seen, chasidim in Si don't stick to their own chasidus and do try to socialize.You ahve to realize,though, moving anywhere is an adjustment.It takes time to find a group of friends.

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 11:55 am
We moved to Willowbrook in April. There is a big mix of chassiduses here. A lot of Skver and Ger but there are many others and neutrals. Most shuls are very welcoming of any type and any religious level, mostly the newer smaller shuls.

Someone mentioned the busing, it is NOT government funded so kids that go to school in Brooklyn need to be driven back and forth or pay for a private bus company that is run by the chassidishe community here and you need to go through an acceptance process.
There was a rumor going around in the summer about government funded busing to Brooklyn schools but that never happened and it will be many months (or most likely years) before it actually happens.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating