Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ichud vs Tiferes Miriam school
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 3:48 pm
It's all about least restrictive environment.
If your dds needs are not met in a group of 4-5, she may qualify for a shadow. School needs to write a letter and recommend it. School rep should attend next meeting if you have one .
Would your dd want a one on one?

chestnut

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 6:11 pm
As I understand it, in ichud or TF, they have max 10 kids in a class. Some subjects are taught as a class, while others - in smaller groups, 4-5 kids per teacher. In my daughter's room, there are 8 girls in her resource room group. I tried to split P3 hours between the school and home, but it was very hard to find providers for evening hours, let alone good ones.
I'd imagine she wouldn't want a shadow cause would be too embarrassed

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 6:30 pm
Oh ok , understood.
What's the reason you want to switch her from regular Ed to Ichud or TM ?

chestnut

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 7:34 pm
I feel that she isn't getting enough support now. She can definitely get through school (hasn't failed any subject), but won't actually have the knowledge or necessary skills for life.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 8:30 pm
chestnut wrote:
I feel that she isn't getting enough support now. She can definitely get through school (hasn't failed any subject), but won't actually have the knowledge or necessary skills for life.

If this is the case, then definitely Ichud. (I've been PMing you .)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 9:09 pm
chestnut wrote:

Can you elaborate on specific skills you think she may not learn in her current school setup?

In speaking with Ichud and TM, do you have a sense either one or both can provide it?

Has your dd had a comprehensive evaluation recently, to identify areas of strength and areas of deficit ?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 9:11 pm
Schools in general do not prepare our children for real life. Schools are basically set up to train youth to be compliant sheeple so that big gov can get its needs met. School is really about advancing the needs of big gov. For example, its in best interest of govt to have our youth believe certain beliefs about health, vaccines, antibiotics, fortified foods, etc. To this end, they have set up a curriculum that programs our children to think in one particular way about, say for example, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, female reproductive health, etc. etc. etc.
Its not about providing our children with skills for life. It's about programming our kids a certain way, rather than allowing then to know their truth .
Sad reality.
Let's not confuse schooling with education.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 9:18 pm
chestnut wrote:
won't actually have the knowledge or necessary skills for life.

Such as ?

chestnut

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 9:41 pm
Problem solving, note taking (which requires listening to and extracting the important facts vs writing down everything), organizational, (some) executive functioning. Reading comprehension, information retrieval. Actually figuring out which steps in math she's missing from prior years vs teaching her a new topic each day and not caring whether she can still do it tomorrow

MrsLeo

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 11:47 am
Does anyone have the contact info for Ichud?
My daughter is in 4th grade and her current school can not give her what she needs.
The phone number that I found for Ichud on google isnt working.
Thanks.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 11:55 am
718-854-2400

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 1:12 pm
My daughter is in TM second year Bh and she loves it. She is very friendly and had some learning disabilities but nothing major. She was transferred from prospect there. Teachers are extremely nice. Academically yes I think they can do little better but it would not be fair to some girls who are struggling a lot. I know TM doesn’t tolerate misbehaving kids believe me they are on top of it and take care of it. So I know it’s good place for my daughter. I rather have her happy and have strong confidence. That’s what will help her in the future.
Good luck

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Dec 13 2017, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
Schools in general do not prepare our children for real life. Schools are basically set up to train youth to be compliant sheeple so that big gov can get its needs met. School is really about advancing the needs of big gov. For example, its in best interest of govt to have our youth believe certain beliefs about health, vaccines, antibiotics, fortified foods, etc. To this end, they have set up a curriculum that programs our children to think in one particular way about, say for example, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, female reproductive health, etc. etc. etc.
Its not about providing our children with skills for life. It's about programming our kids a certain way, rather than allowing then to know their truth .
Sad reality.
Let's not confuse schooling with education.

I think all these things you described are very good points but schools are not there to teach them that. These things they learn as they grow and of course we as parents have to educate these topics to our kids. My husband and I speak to our teenagers about every subjects out there we are very open minded and don’t hold anything from our kids. We have to prepare them for outside world.

SaraFruma

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 11:49 am
I'm picking back up on this thread even though it's been some time. I have a daughter that we are trying to find the right place for, and TM and Ichud have all come up in conversation. Anyone with thoughts on either/or that can shed some light for me?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)