Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for new Grandchild

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 5:12 pm
can someone tell me whats the appropriate amount of money you give for a new grandchild

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 5:35 pm
My parents and in law bought gifts rather than money. For example my father in law bought us the stroller/car seat

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 5:37 pm
My father helped defray the costs of the bris with 3 of out of 4 births. My mother bought a car seat for my oldest and odds and ends each time.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 5:40 pm
My mother bought a crib and some basic clothing for my oldest child.
My in-laws gave $500 towards the stroller and bought some clothing including "bigger" items like a bunting and a pidyon haben fancy outfit.

I know you didn't ask this but I think it's really nice to get something for the mother too, a personal gift to make her feel good. (Perfume, book, chocolate, nice robe, etc.)

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:03 pm
Gifts for grandchildren are imho supposed to be acts of love, rather than appropriateness. What do you WANT to give?

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:08 pm
There is no one amount that anyone can tell you. Totally depends on what you want to give, can afford to give etc. too many details that no one can answer for you

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:09 pm
I recently had baby #3. Our parents didn't give us any money, rather paid for stuff.
Our grandparents gave us:
1. $250.
2. $200.
3. $100.
4. Nothing

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:21 pm
I want to give, of course out of love & nothing to do with appropriateness per say--but just wondering whats considered ok or too little.....
thanks for all the responses!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:28 pm
piece wrote:
I want to give, of course out of love & nothing to do with appropriateness per say--but just wondering whats considered ok or too little.....

If you were my mother or MIL I would appreciate anything you gave me, because it's coming from a place of love and not of obligation or appropriateness. I've gotten nothing at one child, a stretchie at another and a carriage at another ( and it wasn't an $1,000 carriage either). I've seen my mother give my brother money towards his first sons vacht nacht while she never gave me a dime and I never expected her to. My mother would collect cute hand me down baby clothes from friends etc and that was a gift I really appreciated.( I know there are imamotherd saying "oh gross" right now) but I appreciated it. My mother used to want to visit and I didn't have a bed for her to sleep on so she got me a high riser. But today's young women "expect" which drives me insane!!!

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:44 pm
If you can easily afford it, why not give something substantial or help pay for the simcha or purchase a quality stroller/furniture?

My parents and in laws paid for the simcha, purchased furniture and a stroller. And baby clothing. They spent an enormous amount of money and we are truly grateful to them.

If you cannot afford it, then anything you give is a nice gesture of love! (Or you can offer to help out with the new baby by watching the baby, or doing errands for them, or making dinner... There are lots of ways to show you care.)

imasinger

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 6:54 pm
There is really no one answer. It depends on what they can afford, what you can afford, the communities you live in, and much more.

It's often the case that a larger gift is given for the first baby in a family, because, for example, one crib can last for several children.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 7:01 pm
First of all is this the couple's first baby.
If yes they would basically need everything
If not, then ask them what they need.
Budget about $500 -$800 (either cash or gift), but if that's too much for you, then as much as you can.
Ask what they would need. Crib, stroller, pack n play.
I like practical gifts

tf

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:

Depends in:
1- how much $ you have
2 - how many children you need to marry off, and how far apart they are
3 - how many grandchildren you will have to do the same
4 - plus plus plus.
My point is that there's no norm. What you can and what you feel for is what you do for ALL children equally. So when you decide for grandchild number 1, keep in mind that you'll need to do the same for all following ones.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 9:05 pm
Our first where twins my parents bought us 1 car seat and a few outfits my inlaws bought us nothing my fil didn't even come see the babies till they where almost a year old and they live around the block. For our 3rd and 4th neither parents bought us anything. It was strange cause my parents are extremely wealthy and when any of my siblings had kids they always bought the car seat stroller and crib by me maybe they realized my dh and I are more well off and could afford it don't know but it was strange. Not that I don't appreciate what they got for us or expect more was just weird to get different then literally every other sibling who had a baby especially since it was twins so they knew we need 2x as much as a singleton

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 5:20 am
ive seen it all from 0-2000 euro
one friend recieved a stretchy from her inlaws and was a bit upset. another friend's parents payed sholom zachor, bris, kids furniture, stroller, carseat, bouncer seat, kimpeturim stay, private hospital room and jewllery for mother. well- there you have it: it simply depends on how much you can and want to give.

inmho: both versions are legit.

my mother helped out so much with dc1 and started to save monthly for dc1 25-50 euro for later (bar mizve, wedding, college), now she really wanted to pay the stroller for dc3 and I gratefully appreciated it. inlaws always sent money and smaller gifts total was maybe 250 euro.

I dont expect ANYTHING. I think it is a nice gesture. my mother gave us second hand furniture too, which we used for several years in the kids room until we could afford new.

inlaws cannot afford to give much money but they call often , make photobooks for us or knit baby outfits.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:42 am
What number kid is it in the family?
If its a first then usually people buy a stroller, crib etc.
If its for an addition to the oldest then you spend between 10-200$.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics