Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Bahir
1  2  Next

cali613

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:41 pm
Anyone ever heard this name for a boy? How do you think it would be received?

smileyface:)

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:43 pm
I think it is very atypical and may be made fun of...

Blessing1

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:57 pm
Sounds like an Arab/Muslim name to me.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:10 am
It just doesn't sound much like a name to me. There are a lot of words that have been "namified" but I just don't see this becoming one of them. If it's the meaning you're going for rather than the sound, maybe we can help you find something similar?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 2:43 am
It means light, as in the opposite of dark.
Just don't name your next kid kaheh, dark.

etky

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:04 am
Iymnok wrote:

So funny, I thought it was בחיר written with an h to represent the chet.
Was going to suggest Meytav instead since I've never heard Bachir.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:16 am
I thought it meant "clear" more than "light." As in being able to see or read clearly (I've seen it in print editions - like this is the new "bahir" layout of an old hard-to-read sefer)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:19 am
seeker wrote:
I thought it meant "clear" more than "light." As in being able to see or read clearly (I've seen it in print editions - like this is the new "bahir" layout of an old hard-to-read sefer)

That may refer to thelighter print. If you look at the old sefarim you'd see that the font looks heavy, like bold. The newer sefarim have a lighter type that's much easier to read.
I guess like too much ink on the old printing press.
I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Barur means clear. (Not shakuf, transparent)

Last edited by Iymnok on Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:20 am
this name does mean light, but more like light skinned or light hair. I dont associate it as bringing in light.
this doesnt sound like an actual name.

salt

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:21 am
Iymnok wrote:

It does mean light as in pale/opposite of dark, but I think also bright and clear.
But I don't think it's really a name.
My DS humorously defines 3 categories of names:
names that are names -eg. sarah
names that are not names - eg. metushelach
not names - I'm afraid I think Bahir would come under this category.

But my DS is very conservative when it comes to names. Doesn't mean there isn't anyone anywhere in the world called Bahir.

If you want something with a similar meaning and modern-Israeli sounding, I'd go for Or, Barak, Zohar, Ziv, Ori

cm

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:27 am
It certainly is a Hebrew word, and perhaps the OP is inspired by the kabbalistic Sefer haBahir. I'm not a Hebrew-speaker, so I couldn't tell you if it sounds like a name in modern Hebrew.

According to the internet, it is known as a boy's name in Arabic.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:44 am
Iymnok wrote:
That may refer to thelighter print. If you look at the old sefarim you'd see that the font looks heavy, like bold. The newer sefarim have a lighter type that's much easier to read.
I guess like too much ink on the old printing press.
I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Barur means clear. (Not shakuf, transparent)

Thanks for the explanation. I think I was combining my understanding of barur and bahir. I do that sometimes.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:58 am
amother wrote:
this name does mean light, but more like light skinned or light hair. I dont associate it as bringing in light.
this doesnt sound like an actual name.

Correct.
I was thinking of the types of green peppers I see in the makolet, pilpel bahir and pilpel kaheh. LOL
Not the light Hashem made on the first day, that He called Ohr.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 4:33 am
If you want the frequency with which a name has been given in recent years, the Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics has lists of the most commonly names given by religion and gender for the last several years through 2015: http://www.cbs.gov.il/reader/c.....D=825

It only seems to go down to names given to at least 4 kids in a given group in a given year, and I don't see Bahir as a Jewish boys' name in 2014 or 2015. (Kalman and Rachamim are among the names given to 4 baby boys each in 2014, though, and they're both "real" names to me, so I suppose it's possible there are "real" names that were only given to 2 or 3 kids and thus didn't make the list.)

cali613

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 12:02 pm
Thanks everyone! Hubby was inspired by sefer haBahir and likes the meaning "bright/clear". It sounds like most people wouldn't really accept this as a name though. Can you think of other boy names with that meaning? I'm happy with Meir or Ori even though they have different sounds...

heidi

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 12:13 pm
בהיר means clear, or light colored. You have צבע בהיר--a light color and a יום בהיר-- clear day. להבהיר is to clarify.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount it as a name. Lately I have heard: שיבת ציון, רוח חן, רביה and בכל. If those can be names, so can בהיר

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 12:46 pm
cali613 wrote:
Anyone ever heard this name for a boy? How do you think it would be received?

It would be well received by me. I like the sound and the meaning. Start a new name trend!

etky

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 12:56 pm
What about the Aramiac name נהוראי?
Someone I know gave her baby this name.
It is a Tannaitic name that also means clear, light or elucidated - similar to מאיר.

LisaS

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:00 pm
First of all, your avatar is so pretty!

Second, Nehorai is a name you'll hear in Israel which is based on the same meaning - shining/glowing.

LisaS

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:02 pm
Etky you beat me to it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names