Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Bahir
Previous  1  2

etky

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:03 pm
LisaS wrote:
Etky you beat me to it!

Wink

etky

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:12 pm
heidi wrote:
בהיר means clear, or light colored. You have צבע בהיר--a light color and a יום בהיר-- clear day. להבהיר is to clarify.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount it as a name. Lately I have heard: שיבת ציון, רוח חן, רביה and בכל. If those can be names, so can בהיר

You mean רוויה?
I actually love the name. It evokes tehillim 23.
There is also a moshav near Beit She'an called Revaya.

cali613

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 1:36 pm
Thank you! Oh I love Nehorai. We live in the States, I wonder if it would be hard to pronounce for Americans. Have you heard an associated nickname?

MyUsername

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 3:09 pm
Zohar - has a similar meaning and is a Kabbalistic book

Studious

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 4:44 pm
Sounds Arabic to me.

etky

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 4:57 pm
heidi wrote:
בהיר means clear, or light colored. You have צבע בהיר--a light color and a יום בהיר-- clear day. להבהיר is to clarify.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount it as a name. Lately I have heard: שיבת ציון, רוח חן, רביה and בכל. If those can be names, so can בהיר

Just as an aside, because I think it's interesting:
There is a relatively well known poetess/journalist who writes for Makor Rishon (a DL weekly) called Bakol Selro'I. Her parents gave her the name based on what chazal say in the gemara about the pasuk וה' ברך את אברהם בכל according to which Avraham had a daughter "בַּת הָיְתָה לוֹ לְאַבְרָהָם וּבַכֹּל שְׁמָהּ"
Haven't yet encountered the name elsewhere...

Studious

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 5:01 pm
etky wrote:
Just as an aside, because I think it's interesting:
There is a relatively well known poetess/journalist who writes for Makor Rishon (a DL weekly) called Bakol Selro'I. Her parents gave her the name based on what chazal say in the gemara about the pasuk וה' ברך את אברהם בכל according to which Avraham had a daughter "בַּת הָיְתָה לוֹ לְאַבְרָהָם וּבַכֹּל שְׁמָהּ"
Haven't yet encountered the name elsewhere...

I actually know her slightly. Interesting, charismatic person. Very unusual name.

etky

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 5:06 pm
Studious wrote:
I actually know her slightly. Interesting, charismatic person. Very unusual name.

I saw a short film once about her, years ago, and yes she does seem both interesting and charismatic.
It's certainly not a name you forget Smile

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 7:22 pm
is Bahir a name of your or your husband's ancestor, that you want to name the baby after?

LisaS

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 7:21 am
cali613 wrote:
Thank you! Oh I love Nehorai. We live in the States, I wonder if it would be hard to pronounce for Americans. Have you heard an associated nickname?

I can't think of a nickname that wouldn't ruin the beautiful name. I think nowadays people are very open to learning how to pronounce ethnic names.

If you are concerned about a name that the general population can easily pronounce then I would give him an English name to go with it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names