Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How low does the outside temp. have to be before you heat?

How cold is it outside when you turn on the heat?
60F  
 15%  [ 9 ]
50F  
 44%  [ 26 ]
40F  
 37%  [ 22 ]
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 59

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 8:22 pm
This is a poll inspired by an ops post on another thread.

I'll start if it helps, between 40 and 50. 40 was a temp leftover from my years of heating with wood and it works for me. If it's 40 outside and I'm moving around indoors I really don't need heat, it's likely I'll close a window or two if it bothers me. I really have to think of it in context of when I close up my unit.

Remember these are exterior temps., not interior.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Thu, Aug 24 2017, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 8:23 pm
Probably the same.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 8:50 pm
Below 50z

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 9:05 pm
This question also depends on where you live and what kind of insulation you have/building material.
Buildings made out of brick are better at keeping heat in than wood construction.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 9:57 pm
It also depends if it's a one off cool day or if it's cold season. If we have a couple of cold days in September I'm not turning on the heat at all, just as I wouldn't turn on the AC for a couple of hot days in May.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 10:46 pm
oliveoil wrote:
It also depends if it's a one off cool day or if it's cold season. If we have a couple of cold days in September I'm not turning on the heat at all, just as I wouldn't turn on the AC for a couple of hot days in May.

If it was 80 degrees in may you wouldn't turn on the AC?

Answer to op:

I turn on the heat if I'm cold. So usually if it's less then 70 degrees the heat has a chance of going on.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 12:27 am
I have a condition that basically turns me into a hot-house flower. My body doesn't regulate temperature well.

If I get cold, I get chilled to the bone, and it takes me forever to warm up again. If I get too hot, I'm at high risk for heat stroke. I'm not talking extreme temperatures here, either!

Generally, I dress in layers in the winter, and in the summer I try to keep cool, but have a light layer around just in case I get the chills. I feel like I'm always taking something off or putting something on, every half hour or so.

DH and I fight over the thermostat constantly. I've told him a thousand times that temperature affects me, but he doesn't care. I even tried hiding the temp remote from him once, and he spent days tearing up the house looking for it.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 12:49 am
I live in an apartment where the heat goes on automatically, which for me means my windows are open to modulate the temperature. I love fresh air and heat is so drying. The last few weeks, when it got cool for a few days here in NY was amazing! Windows open all day and night!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 10:01 am
Probably low 40s at night or cooler.
It's been getting cooler some nights, in the low fifties, but in the 70s during the day. When the morning temperature with no heating on gets to mid-low 60s that's also a sign we're likely to put the heat on.

Edited to change thermostat to temperature.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Aug 27 2017, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

water_bear88

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 4:17 pm
I put 40, but that's assuming that's the nighttime low (and, as oliveoil said, probably not for a night or two of such). I grew up supplied with a proper winter wardrobe and the understanding that undershirt+seasonal shirt were appropriate indoor clothing in cold weather- it's ridiculous to me when women wear short skirts, summery tops, and thin or no tights and then complain that an indoor space isn't heated to 70+ in January. On that last point, thanks for the reminder that one of the many reasons I'm thankful for dh is that I am DONE with female roommates.

PassionFruit

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 9:47 pm
Who cares how cold it is outside, it matters how cold it is inside. I start shivering when it is anything less than 74 degrees. I set my AC to 74-75. If it got to 65 I'd probably turn the heat on. When it is totally winter, I set the heat to about 72.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 5:38 pm
My neighbours/culture is really overheating. Some winters we close the radiators. We want the house above 19 or so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics