Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Medicating a young woman for adhd

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 1:35 pm
I have a college age teen who we have been working with behaviorally. Lately, there is thought that she would benefit from being medicated for adhd as well. I would like to do everything we can for her.

The thing is that it can take so may tries to get meds right, and at this age and stage, I am thinking ahead for her. She is going to want to have kids, and all the adhd meds we're looking at are category C.

What would you do? What adhd meds have you used during pregnancy? We're looking at stimulants and Intuniv.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 4:18 pm
Just because she goes on meds now, she won't necessarily need to be on them forever.

Importantly, having her take meds now for a few years will put her in a place where she can learn the skills in behavior therapy or similar types of thigns very effectively, and even if she has to o off meds before she has kids, she will retain those skills. I took meds for 3-4 years and didn't need them beyond that. But even if that's not the case - better for her to have a few good years of functioning now than no years of good functioning ever - don't deprive her.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 8:55 pm
College is hard enough for many who struggle with ADHD, being without medication makes it even harder. Let her get through this stage of her life, and decide with her doctor how to proceed when she is ready to have kids.

Signed,
The mother of a college kid with ADHD who just failed a college course, even on meds

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 9:05 pm
What does she think? She is an adult.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 10:35 pm
I don't see any reason for an adult to take adhd medication. My daughter has ADD and had to learn basic life skills when she first went to college. The entire first year was spent with her crying and threatening to drop out. Now she thanks me and has alot of self respect now that she has overcome so much and has become an A student. Medication is not a magic pill and it can't change years of negative habits. My daughter was on it for about two years in high school, but eventually we decided that she'd be better off learning to make behavioral changes.

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Aug 26 2017, 11:12 pm
I take adderall and have taken it for years. It was the only way I was able to get my act together during high school. I continue to take it because it helps me so much. I made the decision to continue taking it during my pregnancy (after discussing with my OBGYN and prescribing psychiatrist), though I took a lower dose. I continued to take it while breast feeding (at the lower dose). Went back up to my regular dose after weaning.

The research done on the drug (as far as I know) was done on mice taking a very large dose (per their body weight/size).

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:18 am
I'm not trying to keep her from meds. I'm trying to start with meds that she has a good chance of being able to take for awhile, should it be necessary. And her perspective is that she doesn't want to start anything she'll have to stop later, leaving her without the help she may need once she's been used to having it. So we're trying to figure out if this is the case.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:49 am

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 12:52 am
amother wrote:
I don't see any reason for an adult to take adhd medication.

??? Many adults take medication for ADHD, for the reason that they don't function well without it.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 3:01 am
amother wrote:
I'm not trying to keep her from meds. I'm trying to start with meds that she has a good chance of being able to take for awhile, should it be necessary. And her perspective is that she doesn't want to start anything she'll have to stop later, leaving her without the help she may need once she's been used to having it. So we're trying to figure out if this is the case.

I was able to go off ADHD meds (on my own initiative) after a few years on them - because I had learned and been taught other coping skills in the meantime, I didn't feel like I was suddenly without help when I went off meds. Tell her to view meds as a tool to allow her to learn the skills she needs., not a tool to cure her ADHD.

Also, once I was out of school, meds made no difference for me anyway, so think about whether she'll be in school for many years or not because this is a major factor.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 3:26 am
amother wrote:
I was able to go off ADHD meds (on my own initiative) after a few years on them - because I had learned and been taught other coping skills in the meantime, I didn't feel like I was suddenly without help when I went off meds. Tell her to view meds as a tool to allow her to learn the skills she needs., not a tool to cure her ADHD.

Also, once I was out of school, meds made no difference for me anyway, so think about whether she'll be in school for many years or not because this is a major factor.

There are people who are required to focus in the work that they do (that they went to school for)...and therefor continue to receive much benefit from ADHD medication.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children