Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Nuts! Protesting in front of home of Cellphone store owner?
Previous  1  2  3

sleepybeauty

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 1:14 pm
amother wrote:

A parent is the one to decide when a child can get their lisence, smartphone not a stinky 16 year old.

And a parent who calls a 16 year old "stinky" and thinks they can control everything their kid does ends up with a sly 16 year old who will do whatever they want anyways behind their parents' backs.

sleepybeauty

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 1:22 pm
ProudMommie wrote:

I am commenting on this thread because I really can't stand it when people who are passionate about maintaining kedusha because we are supposed to be Am Kadosh no? get called "nuts", extremists, etc.. Don't you think that is a little g-ish?

I would not go to protest, no, because it is pointless and it is not my way, but people who DON"T react to egregious breaches in kedusha that exist everywhere are not any more nuts than people protesting. For sure, not!

You are absolutely right! In fact, I can't think of anytime protesting didn't result in the desired outcome. You know, like how the people driving on Shabbos who have rocks thrown at them realize the errors of their ways and do complete teshuva me'ahava.

People who don't react are definitely equally, if not more, nuts. Making a kiddush hashem by treating people with respect is absolutely crazy and will never give people a favorable impression of Judaism and make returning to yiddishkeit more desirable.

Mevater

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 5:30 pm
amother wrote:
Do you also think it's ok to protest in front of homes of clothing store owners who sell non-tznius clothing? I mean, I would think it's the customer's responsibility to buy a shell or a filter for a smartphone, no?

The list goes on and on of what protesters can decide is protest-worthy.

Whoever here thinks protesting in front of frum business owners' homes is a good idea, I am sure theres something they're doing that would deserve protesting in these fanatic protesters eyes. For instance, being on the internet. I would think their wives are not on Imamother or any other website.

Imho this comment deserves to be loved with unlimited "loves", not liked.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:18 pm
[quote="amother"

To know whats a nut and whats a marble you have to have both in front of yourself and know the facts.
[/quote]

And those are...?

Frankly,calling these people nuts is offensive to the mentally ill. These people are just plain yahoos. Hooligans. Thugs. riffraff looking for an excuse to act like riffraff. They're not fooling anyone with their supposedly holy agenda. If they really had a holy agenda they would go about pursuing it in a different way.

pause

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:21 pm
leah233 wrote:
For the sake of accuracy. The protest wasn't about the store selling smartphones per se. Rather it was about the store becoming a hangout for kids to be mechalel Shabbos after they bought smartphones there and went OTD .See this link with the text of (unsigned) signs calling for the protest

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

That's not at all what it says in those signs!

pause

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for this information. Still would like this to not have happened but makes a little more sense at least.

This information is not true.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:25 pm
crust wrote:
Do you see a person above 25 there?
I sure hope the rabbanim are off to bigger and better things than even discussing this protest.
My Rav definitely is.

I thought a big aspect of chassidish life is that rabbis do get involved with and give input to goings on in their community with their followers.

pause

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:25 pm
I will translate here:

Let's go out and protest for the sake of shabbas kodesh!
Thanks to the smartphone store - Ping Verizon - there are many mechallele shabbas unfortunately who went OTD because of the devices that this store owner pushed onto them.

Let's defend the honor of Shabbas kodesh that was desecrated.

[The rest is unimportant details of when and where.]

pause

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:26 pm
Quite a far-fetched connection to Shabbas. Rolling Eyes

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 6:33 pm
pause wrote:
I will translate here:

Thanks to the smartphone store - Ping Verizon - there are many mechallele shabbas unfortunately who went OTD because of the devices that this store owner pushed onto them.

TY you have finally identified a frum Bizarro World. I'm pretty sure the author or his followers cannot account for those who went OTD prior to the invention of the SP?

Mevater

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 7:41 pm
pause wrote:
I will translate here:

Novel theory.

I heard and read that the opinion of most professionals dealing with the OTD population is that 99% of OTD kids are those who

1-Have been abused by FRUM people who they knew and trusted, sometimes Rebbis and sometimes relatives or
2-Have gone through some sort of traumatic experiences, and

3-Have learning disabilities that caused difficulty in school.

Now these genius protestors say thats all not true! They discovered America! its the cellphone store owners who are the way bigger contributing factors to kids going OTD?

What

Last edited by Mevater on Sun, Aug 27 2017, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

icebreaker

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 8:15 pm
How embarrassing

For them Confused

das

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 8:30 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
And a parent who calls a 16 year old "stinky" and thinks they can control everything their kid does ends up with a sly 16 year old who will do whatever they want anyways behind their parents' backs.

The poster probably comes a community where young ppl are commonly called little stinkers, in an endearing way. Kind of like shnook. I've heard it used by chassidish ppl.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 8:38 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I thought a big aspect of chassidish life is that rabbis do get involved with and give input to goings on in their community with their followers.

In a bygone era. Maybe Belz still has that type of relationship with their Rebbe.
There are so many different types of Chassidim nowadays, many of them without a Rebbe, or even if they do have one, there are so many members that this Rebbe/Chossid relationship is not even possible. I'm Chassidish but have no Rebbe involved in my life. It's just the reality of today's chassidish world for many.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:58 am
leah233 wrote:
For the sake of accuracy. The protest wasn't about the store selling smartphones per se. Rather it was about the store becoming a hangout for kids to be mechalel Shabbos after they bought smartphones there and went OTD .See this link with the text of (unsigned) signs calling for the protest

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

The store is open on Shabbat and kids hang out there then? Kids hang out near a closed store?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics