Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Trespassing laws
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 4:53 pm
Beautiful Cinnamon Roll Too Good For This World, Too Pure

relish

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 4:55 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Beautiful Cinnamon Roll Too Good For This World, Too Pure

We can always count on you for sources. Thank you!

Chayalle

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
it sounds like by not answering the neighbors about what was going on that angered them to the extent that they called the police. This is still a strange story though.

Yes but without them being able to positively identify the trespasser, the police would not have been able to arrest anyone. And they have the right to remain silent.

Agree, strange story.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 6:00 am
amother wrote:
I might. Dh not happy that I'm writing about this.

Your husband is very right. Some things are not to be posted online where it can be read worldwide.

I understand though that you posted b/c you are afraid and need the chizzuk.

I'll daven for you and your friend; even though I don't know your names but Hashem surely knows whom I'm davening for.

Stay strong dear. We're all holding you hand.
And Hashem, for sure, is Supporting your friend and you.

With love from deep in my heart.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 6:08 am
amother wrote:
Green. The neighbor pressed charges. She was only one of t he two who went in. When she came out the other woman left her property before she saw her.

I can understand that it looked suspicious to your neighbor, esp. that she didn't see the second women.

Also, why did a woman and a 19 yr. old girl both have to go retrieve a ball from your neighbor?
Was one scared to go alone so she asked the other to go with her?
Was the ball in the front yard?

Also, excuse me asking, but if it is your neighbor, then why didn't you or one of your family go get the ball?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 6:17 am
groovy1224 wrote:
If I saw an adult in my yard at 11:30 PM, and she tried to tell me she was retrieving a ball (um what?) I wouldn't believe her.

Not saying your friend deserves jail time, but this was not her wisest move.

esp. that there was a second woman also trespassing who disappeared before the neighbors could see her.

If it happened to me on my property (which I don't have Wink ) I'd be scared stiff seeing prowlers at night.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 6:30 am
amother wrote:
What's your friend planning on telling the judge ?

I can't understand your question. Are you asking if her friend is going to improvise an untrue story to tell the judges?

If the judge finds her lying she'll be in real hot water in addition to a chillul Hashem.

She should tell the truth that she and another woman (though I don't know why the other woman also went) entered the neighbor's front yard to retrieve their ball that rolled or flew in there.

imho

"honesty is the best policy"

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:24 am
So bizzare.
I can see where the neighbors might call the cops about ppl prowling in their yard but I don't understand how they let the cops take her when they found out it was 2 young women retrieving a ball. That's just wrong.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
So bizzare.
I can see where the neighbors might call the cops about ppl prowling in their yard but I don't understand how they let the cops take her when they found out it was 2 young women retrieving a ball. That's just wrong.

We know hardly anything about OP's neighbors.
I didn't see anything revealing about them in OP's initial post.
What type of people they are? Kind. Pleasant. Aggressive. Problematic e.t.c
We also don't know their relationship with OP - their neighbors.

So we can't really judge.

May Hashem set the girl free very very soon. Poor thing. It must be so scary for her being behind bars. r'l

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
So bizzare.

the cops wouldn't take her away unless the neighbors wanted to press charges...

Tziril Miriam

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 8:48 pm
What happened to your young guest in court today?

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 9:11 pm
watergirl wrote:
It is. You arent allowed to call someone out as a troll. If you suspect a troll you need to report the post and say why.

shock I thought she was hinting to the name or some detail about the case. Oops.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:09 pm
amother wrote:
the cops wouldn't take her away unless the neighbors wanted to press charges...

That's not how the law works.

If this entire thing is true, the woman trespassed. The homeowers might not want to press charges, but since a crime was committed that might not be their call. It's not the homeowners vs the trespasser, but the city/state vs the trespasser.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:19 pm
So apropos nothing in particular, except it really struck me when I.learned I just now-

By shishi in this week's Parsha Ki Seitzei, Perek Kaf Dalet Posuk Yud, it says that even when taking security for a loan you should not enter the debtor's house, but wait outside and let the debtor bring the security to you.

Not the same situation, I know. No debtor, and the ball was not a security. And your guest did not enter the house. But I found it interesting nevertheless.

OP can you tell us what happened?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:

If this entire thing is true, the woman trespassed. The homeowers might not want to press charges, but since a crime was committed that might not be their call. It's not the homeowners vs the trespasser, but the city/state vs the trespasser.

Um no. Since the crime was not committed against the city/state, but a private person, the person needs to want to press charges.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:51 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Um no. Since the crime was not committed against the city/state, but a private person, the person needs to want to press charges.

Not so sure about this.

Remember how DV didn't used to be against the law unless the victim pressed charges? But that changed so abusers could be arrested and prosecuted with or without the cooperation of the victim.

(I know this is not as serious as DV, it's all I could think of this late at night.)

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
Not so sure about this.

Remember how DV didn't used to be against the law unless the victim pressed charges? But that changed so abusers could be arrested and prosecuted with or without the cooperation of the victim.

(I know this is not as serious as DV, it's all I could think of this late at night.)

DV is an exception. This was not that.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
Not so sure about this.

Well violence is very different then trespassing, and anyway I'm not sure exactly how that law works, but I had a neighbor that beat up her girlfriend and the cops did not arrest the neighbor because the girlfriend did not press charges.

And cops to arrest a teenager for getting her ball off someone's property, even if the property owner did want to press charges, is the most bizarre thing I ever heard.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:

If they don't press charges, there are no witnesses, there are no accusations, there is nothing to discuss at court.

(Domestic Violence is an exception.)

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Well violence is very different then trespassing, and anyway I'm not sure exactly how that law works, but I had a neighbor that beat up her girlfriend and the cops did not arrest the neighbor because the girlfriend did not press charges.

And cops to arrest a teenager for getting her ball off someone's property, even if the property owner did want to press charges, is the most bizarre thing I ever heard.

That's appalling. NY?

This entire story is extremely bizarre.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics