Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Using a Friend's Services (long)

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 9:08 am
Someone in our community has a business where they sell a service (don't want to go into detail). We aren't close with him but we recently reached out to him about something unrelated, a quick question. He took that opportunity to ask if he could pitch us his service. It's something we're interested in learning more about and we always love supporting local community members, so we agreed. We had just had a baby at that point, and he knew full well that was the case. He came over and we're possibly interested in his service, but it's a large investment, so we need to discuss and think it through. Well... our baby is tough. Colic. We can't get throUgh the day, we don't have the emotional or mental energy to think of anything else. We tried to tell this guy, we're genuinely interested but need time because this isn't a good time in our life, maybe give us a few more weeks or months. He keeps following up. I get it, it's his parnassah. And we are interested. But he asked to speak with us literally a week after th birth of our first kid. Maybe he had an easy baby and can't understand 24/7 screaming but his parnassah doesn't take priority, my mental health does. He's stressing me out, we keep avoiding him. What to do???

tryinghard

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 9:11 am
Give him a date - "Can we make an appointment for October 25th?"

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 9:13 am
Firmly tell him that he should follow up with you in three months, if he doesn't hear from you. Give him some reassurances that you won't use anyone else for this service in the next three months if he doesn't hear from you.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 9:52 am
"Don't call us. Well call you."

And if you don't already have them, get caller ID and voicemail.

lucky14

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 2:42 pm
You need to be straight out and clear that you've just had a baby and can't make those decisions right now. Tell him that you will contact him when you are ready to talk about it again. You can even tell him if he doesn't hear back from you by a certain date (give him an actually date) then he can try emailing or calling you again just to remind you.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 3:05 pm
Firstly mazel tov and hope that colics calm down so that you can fully enjoy your baby and get some well deserved rest!

Now with this guy it's really important that you stop avoiding him! As the other amothers said, the next time he calls you, have your husband tell him very firmly "listen, we cannot think about this right now, you know we just had our first baby. Your thing really interests us but please, let us call you when it will be okay for us. Sounds like before RH might be great for us. Thank you so much!".
Be clear and he'll get it hopefully. If he doesn't I'll be worried...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette