Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to get my 7 yr old to be more responsible

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 1:55 pm
I'm at my wits end. School started last week for my boys. My 7yr old DS lost his new knapsack with ALL his brand new school supplies on the second day!!! Today, he checked the school bus where he thought he'd left it and it's not there. Since he was without a backpack he was holding his homework papers in his hand. He claims a boy took it and tore it to shreds on the school bus. The school year just started and he is already starting with the irresponsibility. I had this with him last year, towards the end of the year. I truly don't know how to handle this properly. I feel like buying him all new stuff again is enabling this irresponsible behavior. Yet, not having proper school supplies and briefcase will cause him to lose his stuff and not be able to do the homework that was sent home. Please help me with this. I'm very frustrated and I have no idea what to do.

salt

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 2:45 am
That sounds so frustrating. I don't think you should buy him new supplies yet. I think you should help him find it. Don't rely on him to check the school bus. You get the number of the driver and call him. Maybe your DS didn't look properly or the bus driver found it and is keeping it till someone asks him.
Hope it's not too late, if it's already been a few days.

In the meantime I would find some other knapsack for him to use (you must have something else at home) - some old bag not being used, or a bag you use for trips. Even if it's not his favorite - just tell him you don't want to buy anything new for now, because you're pretty sure it can still be found. Give him the bare necessities for now - a couple of pencils and an eraser, whatever he needs.

I'm pretty sure he'll find it. Also call his teacher and ask the teacher to help him look in the classroom. Or you go in and look for it. He may be mistaken that he left it on the bus.

You could get him to write signs too - and hang one up at the bus stop, and one at school, saying that he lost his bag, with your phone number.

It's important for him to see that it's so important for you to find it, and that you're making every effort to find it. And not just to give up and buy new stuff. Explain to him that even Yaakov Avinu went back over the Yarden river to pick up the pots that he left behind - that's where he saw and fought with the angel.

If you do never find, I guess you'll have to buy him an inexpensive simple new bag and supplies.
No advice as to how to make it not happen again.
Perhaps by promising him that if he keeps this one till the end of the year, you'll buy him a type that he likes for next year.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 4:23 am
Thanks! Great advice. I love the idea of telling the story of Yakov as well. I will try all of your ideas. Really appreciate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children