Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
HFA/asperger question and help!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 10:56 pm
My son just turned four. I have a daughter with SPD and I work in special ed. I feel like something is off with my son, but I can't pin point it. He does not seem to have the classic autism symptoms, but I still can't help but wonder...

He was a very early talker and he still talks ALL the time, literally allllll day long. He talks too much and way too loud, and if he has nothing to say he will just make things up or make strange noises to be heard. At first I thought maybe he has ADHD, but there are other things that concern me.
His social skills are ok, and he makes eye contact, but I can see that it is not comfortable for him.
He wull purposely do the opposite of what you ask him. Like if I say "it's time to stop talking and eat your food" he will start talking ten times louder.
He is constantly moving and touching things and people.
At first his behavior and talking seems to cute and funny, but after seeing it long enough, he is just a little awkward and unaware of what is appropriate.

My issue is that he can't get any type of eval unless his teacher sees something. I don't want to tell her this, because I don't want her to have preconceived ideas, if there isn't anything there....

Any ideas?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:04 pm
Forgot to mention, he also talks in waaaay too much detail. Instead of saying "that park we went to yesterday was fun" he will say "remember that park we went to, the day before this day, and we went In the car and under the bridge and we saw a bird? Yeah mommy? Remember? And the baby cried in the car and lost his pacifier? YeAh mommy? I liked that park. It was fun. Can we again there one day? YeH mommy? To that park?"

nicole81

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:05 pm
You can have him evaluated by a medical team without involving the teacher. Also, if you're looking for a DOE evaluation, you can request that yourself by writing a letter to the district.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 27 2017, 11:18 pm
I brought it up to his pediatrician who gave me the number to schedule an eval. And they told me they would have to wait until school started and see if the school notices any issues...
I'm not In NY so I don't know if that is the difference?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 12:40 am
amother wrote:
I brought it up to his pediatrician who gave me the number to schedule an eval. And they told me they would have to wait until school started and see if the school notices any issues...
I'm not In NY so I don't know if that is the difference?

Never heard that. You can make an appointment with a developmental pediatricianor a child study center at a hospital.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers