Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
(S/o)Think we are the only ones who struggle?

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 8:02 am
Spin off of the thread asking if welfare went away, would the frum community stop being frum.

I just happened to have seen this documentary on YouTube. It's only 30 minutes and it's very worth watching. Its a Diane Sawyer 20/20 documentary about the American Dream and its very worth while. Forget the cost of kosher food and tuition. It just shows how many of us feel entitlement that other Americans just dont.

I'd be interested in a converstaion with others who've taken time to listen to this in the back ground while folding laundry or whatever.

https://youtu.be/Hhh0Qcl_yMA

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 28 2017, 8:32 am
That was extremely hard to watch. Very sad.
Two parts stood out for me. One was the last bit of the man who travels for 4 hours to get to and from work, by bike, train and bus because she couldnt afford to live near work. So of course the first question I ask is why doesnt he find another job, but beyond that, something that ran through the entire clip was that people were doing this so their children might have a better future. Its so sad that this is what the world has become.

The other thing that grabbed me was the price of homes and how not only the prices had gotten swollen but the houses themselves had as well. It seems that people also are not as happy with smaller (and therefore cheaper) homes like they once were.
The cost of living has risen also because of peoples expectations in life.

This was a very sad thing to watch. It doesnt seem like some people even ever have a chance to get ahead Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics