Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Getting published?!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:49 am
I know there's an old thread about this topic, but I wanted to hear if anyone has current information.

1. What is the process, likelihood, and payment for getting published in Mishpachah, Binah, and Ami?

2. Has anyone here published a book with Artscroll? How much does it pay?

Thank you.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:06 am
You need to get on soferet. There's a Google group of 900 frum men and women and you would receive answers in an hour or two. Much more knowledgeable than any answer here.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:09 am
They ussually need 4-6 weeks to review stories and stuff. I do not recommend mishpacha... They never answer back etc. I recently tried to send something to ami and got an answer within two hours!!!!! I'm hooked.... Although it was rejected... That's way faster than 4-6 week answer from mishpacha.

I recently sent another thing to mishpacha and after 9 weeks my emails go unanswered. They can't even send me a rejection email. Not impressed...

If anyone in here works for Ami you should know you guys are making good impressions! Keep it up!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
They ussually need 4-6 weeks to review stories and stuff. I do not recommend mishpacha... They never answer back etc. I recently tried to send something to ami and got an answer within two hours!!!!! I'm hooked.... Although it was rejected... That's way faster than 4-6 week answer from mishpacha.

I recently sent another thing to mishpacha and after 9 weeks my emails go unanswered. They can't even send me a rejection email. Not impressed...

If anyone in here works for Ami you should know you guys are making good impressions! Keep it up!

I sent something to Mishpacha and was rejected within 2 weeks. I've submitted to a few magazine and was always acknowledged within the month.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 9:29 am
amother wrote:

I sent something to ami and didn't hear back from them, this was about 4 weeks ago Maybe I have the wrong email address? Could someone please post it? Mishpacha immediately acknowledged my submission and told me what the waiting time was. Four weeks later they did get back to me with a rejection.

leah233

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 9:33 am
amother wrote:

2. Has anyone here published a book with Artscroll? How much does it pay?

I was told by someone who published with Artscroll that other publishers offered her more money. She went with Artscroll because she felt that they have better resources to distribute her book and she preferred her book being read over her making money from it.

I don't know if this is a general rule or only true in her case.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:52 pm
I don't think there's much money in publishing a book unless you're an in-demand big name. That said, I've published books with 2 different places before and it's a great experience.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 8:27 pm
If you're publishing for the money, quit now. There is no money in Jewish publishing, and not in most mainstream publishing either.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 10:07 pm
You may even lose money since many frum publishers now charge you for the privilege of publishing your book in exchange for a better royalty rate. And there's a big chance you won't make back that money...

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 3:57 am
Submitting to magazines makes a good part time job in my opinion. If you enjoy it write in your spare time and just sibmit.... And hope for some extra cash. That's what I do
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club