Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Cheap healthy menue

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:00 pm
Ok so here it goes. We are on a very tight budget and yom tovs always come out a furtune. Can someone post cheap healthy delcious meat recipes?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:02 pm
Meat, or chicken?

Chicken will almost always be cheaper.

Ground beef is cheap as well

Figure out ways to stretch the chicken, like reporting the chicken from the soup into a main dish

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:10 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Meat, or chicken?

Chicken will almost always be cheaper.

Ground beef is cheap as well

Figure out ways to stretch the chicken, like reporting the chicken from the soup into a main dish

Chicken ia cheap
What can I make with ground beef? Something posh?!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:16 pm
I have seen mini meatballs, served on a bed of angel hair at very "posh" homes. You can even garnish it with some small leafy something.

It can't really be a main dish, but it is a way to stretch the ground beef.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:17 pm
amother wrote:
Chicken ia cheap

I'm not posh, but shepherds pie, meat lasagna, meatballs, chili are all perfectly acceptable yom tov meals. I could go on and on

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:26 pm
I think anything in individual portions looks more fancy. Serving each person their own meatloaf or 2 lasagna roll ups etc looks nice on a plate. It also makes it easier to control quantity if you are plating each persons meal.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:37 pm
I would stick to produce based meals with really good soups and salads and dips for bread and then you can serve less animal protein. Some yummy inexpensive soup ideas: white bean rosemary, tortilla, split pea, tomato lentil, carrot ginger, potato zuchinni, cream of brocolli.

Moussaka, meatballs, Chinese chicken salad, Moroccan salmon with lots of chickpeas and vegetables ( and less salmon), lamb meatballs with lots of chickpeas and vegetables, chicken legs baked with butternut squash and apples/pears can also feed a crowd without costing a fortune.

If you want salad ideas, I can provide a bunch.

juggling

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:41 pm
Moussaka, stuffed peppers, eggplant rollups. Kebabs. You could also do a stir fry or grilled meat strips mixed with lots of veggies. The key is for the meat to add flavor to the dish, but be made cheaper by adding lots of veggies and/or starches to each portion.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:44 pm
Op here. These ideas looks yum but havw you got recipes? What can I freeze as I want to start asap

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 12:46 pm
Stuffed eggplant or stuffed zucchini can be individually plated. You can do sweet and sour meatballs. Individual shepherds pie in those large muffin tins. Chicken roll ups with some sort of pesto or mashed potatoes in the middle and a sauce on top

iammom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 1:21 pm
How about stuffed cabbage? (Can that be used as a main or just a side/appetizer)

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
Stuffed eggplant or stuffed zucchini can be individually plated. You can do sweet and sour meatballs. Individual shepherds pie in those large muffin tins. Chicken roll ups with some sort of pesto or mashed potatoes in the middle and a sauce on top

Have you got recipe for stuffed eggplant etc?

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 2:10 pm
Stuffed eggplant
stuffed peppers
stuffed cabbage
stuffed grape leaves
kebabs
BBQ chicken wings
mazta ball soup
chicken with basmati rice
meatballs and spaghetti

all the stuffed dishes you can either use ground beef or mushrooms with vegies

juggling

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 3:54 pm
Shoshana37 wrote:

all the stuffed dishes you can either use ground beef or mushrooms with vegies

You can also mix the beef with rice, and/or ground chicken, and/or veggies. This makes less beef go further.

smile12345

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 5:16 pm
There's a great recipe in the Balabuste's choice for Pastrami florets - basically pastrami flowers with mince chicken and turkey inside. You do it inside a muffin tray to get the shape and it comes out looking very fancy.

I can post the recipe if you would like.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 5:53 pm
Make chicken roll ups using homemade kishka as the filling inside small thin slices of chicken breasts. Make the kishka now and bake it partway. Cool, then stuff the cutlets, season (and/or dredge in corn flake crumbs), roll and freeze. Thaw and bake fresh at 375 for 25 minutes before YT.

Prepare raw meatballs, freeze on a cookie sheet so they don't stick together. Thaw and bake fresh at 350 for 25 minutes. Plate it prettily over smashed potatoes, drizzle a bit of thick sauce over the meatballs. Add some greens. You can Google for ideas on meatball plating.
https://www.google.com/search?.....XzLM:

You can make a two tone chicken and meat roll. While I haven't tried it there's a recipe in spice and spirit that I can post for you.

A lo mein can be beautiful and delicious when made with linguine noodles and the elements layered by hand on each plate.

For sides you can make stunning hasselback potatoes right before YT which are delicious just served as is.
www.joyofkosher.com/.amp/recip.....auce/

And red onion blossoms.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ItctVq_Rr-U

There are some more ideas here.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....21075

cnc

Post Tue, Aug 29 2017, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
Chicken ia cheap

I make pulled beef with second cut brisket, London broil or any other cut that's cheap or on sale. You can serve it on sliders, or eggplant rounds with garlic mayo.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:02 am
make a filling out of the ground beef or ground turkey (even cheaper) for stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers (whatever is on sale) or even for savory pancakes (made from eggs/flour/water - stretch with breadcrumbs, rice or vegetables...

chicken salad made from the chicken in your soup

small meatballs served with cheap sidedishes like lentilrice, fried pasta or vegetablecouscous

look for fruit on sale and make a simple copott with cinamon/raisins- yummy

all these dishes taste good and dont ask for expencive ingredients.

any ideas for fish??? where we live fish costs a lot...just wondering maybe someone ahs a good idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur