Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Neighbor Stealing Internet AGAIN!!!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:07 am
ARGHHH!! I am so so frustrated.
I am a graphic artist and work from home, using heavy Adobe programs. I use the CC version, which works through the internet. The programs slow down significantly when other people are using the internet.

My neighbor once asked if they can use my internet, I told them they can only use it if they ASK first because it slows down the internet and my programs don't work fast enough.

A few times already, I caught them (my computer tells me how many people are connected to the network) using it without permission and my husband reiterated to them not to use it.

The problem is we are really close neighbors and very good friends, however, they DONT GET IT. Yesterday, my husband told them yet again not to use it without permission, but TODAY again my work is going slow and I saw that they were using it. It's NOT FAIR!!

Do I threaten them that I am changing the password? They are good friends of ours and they do us tons of favors already... I'm so stuck!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:14 am
Change your password.
They will have to come to you to ask why it's not working. If they need Internet this much, they should be paying for their own service just as they do for their regular phone bills.
IMO sharing internet is for guests and once every few months type things.

invisiblecircus

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:16 am
I'm not an expert in this type of thing, but firstly, are you sure it's always the same neighbour using it? Secondly, I believe it's fairly easy to secure your internet connection with a password. Obviously doing that would mean they can't use your internet occasionally without you having to constantly change the password, but it sounds as if having them use it is a hassle anyway and it seems as if they're taking advantage.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:16 am
I would suggest just changing the password and not saying anything to them about the subject. If they say something to you about it, you could just explain that you need the internet for work and that their using it during your work hours negatively affects you.

You've already told them several times to only use it during non-work hours, and they are clearly not respecting that.
Even if they do you a lot of favors, you're not obligated to provide them with free internet.

fiji

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:27 am
Just change the password. No need to threaten them.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:35 am
Why all the aggravation about something that is completely within your control? Just change the password.

Last edited by oliveoil on Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Black

It is password protected. And yes it's the same neighbor, we only shared our password with this neighbor and told them to please ask before using it.

They used to not have their own computer so they had asked to use when they borrowed a computer. They recently got a laptop and that when it became such an issue.

We can change the password, but then next time they need they'll just ask for the password again, and the whole thing will start all over....
Thank you all!

amother
Cerise

just change the password and make sure to put a capital numbers and symbols in it.
When they ask just say you were having issues with slower internet and needed to make some changes.

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:38 am
Do you have the option to turn on and off guest access? If you can, change the password and they can just text you when they need you to turn on guest.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 4:43 am
Just say no
Sorry I care very much about you, I want us to stay friends, but thus internet sharing thing is really bothering me, it's affecting my work etc etc
Please get your own internet so we can stay friends

If they dump you as a friend after that, then they were never your friend in the first place., they were just using you

oliveoil

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:20 am
amother wrote:

We can change the password, but then next time they need they'll just ask for the password again, and the whole thing will start all over....
Thank you all!

You talk about this as if its something happening to you instead of something you are doing. Why would it happen all over again? The point of changing the password is not to give it out again. Why do you feel you must give it out if they ask? It's affecting your work and they've already shown they aren't considerate or grateful for the favor you've been extending them until now. Just change it and don't give them the new password. They own a computer now, they can buy an internet subscription like the rest of the computer-owning world.

fiji

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:44 am
So don't give them the new password. Tell them someone had been using ur internet without permission (don't blame them outright) and u can't risk giving out the password to anyone at all since it is a risk to your parnassa.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 5:52 am
If they really are good friend then they probably would feel bad to know that it affected your workday (and that you can tell they are on). Assume they don't understand how it affects you so you can get rid of the anger towards them.

Now change the password and don't give it out unless you are prepared to upgrade to a different internet plan that has enough to share. Period.

If it's easier, let your husband explain to hers. Sometimes guys are better at explaining these things in a matter-of-fact way without getting emotional/awkward way.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:08 am
They don't know I know that I can see when they are on. They think I'm making it up that it's going slower,I think that's why that keep trying. My husband told her husband at least five times already.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:18 am
Just change your password. No warnings. No apologies. No explanations. Just change it.

If/when, they ask you about it. Tell them you've changed the password and are not giving it out. If they ask you why, simply say, other ppl were logging on while you were working and it was negatively affecting your ability to work effectively.

Simple1

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:23 am
sleepybeauty wrote:
Do you have the option to turn on and off guest access? If you can, change the password and they can just text you when they need you to turn on guest.

I like this idea, if it's possible. You said they do you tons of favors. Allowing them Internet access is one way to reciprocate, but doing it this way puts you in control.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:34 am
amother wrote:
They don't know I know that I can see when they are on. They think I'm making it up that it's going slower,I think that's why that keep trying. My husband told her husband at least five times already.

Mang people have given you great advice in this thread. No warning given, and change the password, make it hard to guess, and DONT give it to them again! If they ask, like others have said, simply say that you and DH no longer give out the password. Repeat as needed. No need to give a reason, that just opens it up to them trying to push it with "we wont use it during work hours".
Also, like others have said, if they are really good neighbors and friends, nothing will change after that.

By the way, you can also change the name of your internet connection, so they wont know which one you are when they try to log onto wifi and find you.

I would love an update from you telling us how it went after you changed it without a warning. And dont give it to them again. If she MUST have internet and wont buy it, public libraries have it for free.

noosheen

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 6:43 am
amother wrote:

Seriously??
People are very disgusting to take advantage like this. Anyway u have nothing to worry about Cz you're not the one doing anything wrong! They are! Don't be a pushover and so passive! Would you do what they are doing to them?? U say you're good friends!!
IMO u should have changed password
A long time ago.

simcha2

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 7:18 am
If they are good friends be honest.

"I can see who is using by internet".

They will know you can see and either stop doing it and if they don't and you change the password they will know why.

Better than changing the password without telling them. I believe it is better to be forthright rather than making up excuses.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 30 2017, 7:26 am
I haven't read the replies but Adobe CC does not need internet to run.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics