Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Are we required to judge Hashem favorably?
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 2:13 pm
pause wrote:
It was a terrible tragedy. No one is denying that even one iota. Yet, you think that there's something wrong with asking Hashem to show us the good even in this situation? To focus on the positive? To help us understand why this happened?

Wait. There is no way we can know why it happened.
If the family was able to find something positive (there's a video circulating of the father, I haven't seen it yet) that's for the family to come up with. (Think of the Sassoons.) If I'm going to daven and use the word good at all in any context, it's for the family to have the kochos to keep on keeping on, and to see Hashem's goodness. Sadly, I can't tell you how many times I've heard of a tragedy and then davened that some day, the family come to be able to say Rofeh cholim, etc., with a full heart, and that they find simcha and meaning and hold on. (And sometimes I include myself.)

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 4:28 pm
Thanks guys again

PinkFridge and Pause, I hear u. I get it, I've heard it all before.

But Marina and Slate grey, what you write is so much more real. And it is judging God if you call something a tragedy or unfair.

And when I hear of things like that, it paralyses me. I can't explain but it feels like a different idea to tzaddik v Ra lo but I can't explain why.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 8:23 pm
marina wrote:
1. We can try to see the good in everything, sure. Like we can say, it is a miracle that no one died.

2. But that has nothing to do with this topic- whether we tell God to heal them or to heal them if it is good for them.

3. Even your first sentence is judging God.

1. Exactly
2. It does have to do with this topic. OP began about tragedies and how to make sense of them. Seeing the good within the bad is one way for some people to realize it's not all bad. Sometimes years later they see something really good that came out of a bad situation; a situation that was terrible then but in hindsight was one of the best things that happened to them. Very often we don't get that long view, but if while in a situation, we can try to remember this point, it can be comforting.
Asking Hashem to heal or not heal someone is about connection, about our relationship with Him. If he'll grant us our wishes or not, is beyond our control, but we still ask for what we want and what we think is good. (While at the same time acknowledging that we don't know what's good, and ultimately He will do as He sees fit.)
3. It's about my perception. To me it seems like a tragedy. But I don't know His cheshbonos.

In any case, I'm done with this topic. I feel like I'm coming across as preachy and as being on the level of what I'm posting. I was just trying to be helpful with some thoughts I learned that have helped me. But I'm really not out to convert anyone.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics