Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you wash new clothes before wearing? How often?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:09 am
I've got a rather sensitive nose and to me, new clothes often smell like the inside of a toxic chemicals factory. Especially clothes here in Israel - in Europe where I've lived before I felt it less. Asides from the smell, I'm also concerned health-wise. The stench probably comes from dozens of chemicals that are applied to textiles during production in China (where most of the stuff comes from). So I wash everything new before wearing, but even two full cycle washes usually don't do the job - just washed a few new shirts twice - same old stink. Only after about 4 washes it fades away. Anyone else experience this? What do you do?

simba

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:26 am
I wash everything new as it is coming from some factory with fumes and packaging with chemicals etc.. just the way I grew up.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:29 am
Same here. My mom always insisted that I wash everything before I wore it for the first time, and I still do. It just makes sense.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:56 am
And I ever heard about washing new things before imamother...

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:07 am
I sometimes wash kids clothes first so that it will shrink a little (it really does make a noticeable difference and with my very petite kids then I sometimes like to do it before wearing especially if for an occasion or something) though I don't think that's what you meant...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:10 am
We wash undies, bathing suits and linen before using.
I love the feel and look of new clothes the first time they're worn, before washing. Wink

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:12 am
I wash the baby's clothes before she wears them, but the rest of us wear new clothing as is.

pause

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
We wash undies, bathing suits and linen before using.
I love the feel and look of new clothes the first time they're worn, before washing. Wink

I know, and that's why I always have this dilemma because they look so good brand new OTOH if I think about what this shirt/pants went through before it came to my hands, I just have this urgent need to wash it.

With underwear I don't have this dilemma so it's simple to throw them into the machine before wearing.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:20 am
I once has worms in my drawers and the exterminator said it can come from new clothing.

emzod42

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:35 am
I don't wash new things unless they're not really new (from a thrift store).

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:39 am
I always washed before wear. A few weeks ago I purchased pajamas for myself. I was excited to wear them so I didn't wash it first. The next day I woke up with an itchy rash . It got worse each night , it was so bad I had to go to the doctor and she advised I wash my bed linens because she was suspicious they got contaminated from my pajamas. Sure enough, that's what the culprit was. There was some kind of chemical in the brand new pjs that got me to have a major allergic reaction. Lesson learned. Always wash new clothes before wear!!!! I used to think it wasn't necessary now I know it is.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 12:22 pm
I never do

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 2:01 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I wash the baby's clothes before she wears them, but the rest of us wear new clothing as is.

And we wash all newborn clothes too. I forgot about that one.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 2:10 pm
Sometimes I buy new things for my grandchildren (clothing, pjs, linens) & if I get a chance I wash it for them. When I told my DIL I do this she had never heard of it.

Might have to do with whether you have very sensitive skin/ allergies.

I also have a machine with an extra rinse cycle, and I recommend it to everyone who buys a new machine. My appliance salesman told me about it - he had mistakenly had the wrong machine delivered to a customer and when he told her he'll replace it, she said, "Please don't. My son's eczema has cleared up since I got the new machine and started using an extra rinse."

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 3:36 pm
pause wrote:
I know, and that's why I always have this dilemma because they look so good brand new OTOH if I think about what this shirt/pants went through before it came to my hands, I just have this urgent need to wash it.

With underwear I don't have this dilemma so it's simple to throw them into the machine before wearing.

I hear ya! I concentrate on making sure that anything that touches face and privates gets washed properly before being used. Or if someone shows sensativity.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 4:38 pm
Always wash. Think about all the people who tried it on before you.

chaj

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 5:04 pm
I always wash to take out the extensive colours
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry