Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Steak for Friday night

makehappy

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:15 am
How can I cook/ bake 2 thick nice pieces of steak with bone for Friday night. I don't want it too dry. And also I don't want it to dry out when I heat it on the hot plate

Blessing1

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:12 pm
What type of meat is it?

penguin

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:15 pm
Chuck steak - marinate if you want with a little wine or citrus and honey or other sweetener. cover with diced carrots, onions, celery, garlic. Cover & bake for an hour.

For Friday night I suppose you underbake slightly and keep warm. I will try to ask my friend who told me about this (I have actually never done it.)

Faigy86

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:16 pm
I think Victoria Dweck gave a method in the whisk once. I don't remember the details, but I think the most important part was to leave it very rare before placing on the hot plate so it doesn't dry out.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:17 pm
I like to save steak for yom tov when it can be eaten immediately. It can easily get dried out so I would skip the hot plate and slice it nicely and serve over greens.

simba

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:34 pm
I do this from time to time when it is just me and DH for the meal. marinade it Thurs night. 20-30 minutes before shabbos stick it on the oven at 375-400. Right before shabbos take it out and put it on top of my hot crock pot with a towel or two covering it so it stays hot.
comes out nice and juicy.

Learning

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:40 pm
simba wrote:
I do this from time to time when it is just me and DH for the meal. marinade it Thurs night. 20-30 minutes before shabbos stick it on the oven at 375-400. Right before shabbos take it out and put it on top of my hot crock pot with a towel or two covering it so it stays hot.

When you put it in the oven is it covered?

Learning

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:40 pm
simba wrote:

simba

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 1:44 pm
Learning wrote:

Yes, you loose the crispiness but at lease it does not dry out.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 3:41 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
I think Victoria Dweck gave a method in the whisk once. I don't remember the details, but I think the most important part was to leave it very rare before placing on the hot plate so it doesn't dry out.

She says sear rare, cover and place is hot but closed oven until mealtime. This won't work if the men come home from shul really late. Smile

Faigy86

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 3:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
She says sear rare, cover and place is hot but closed oven until mealtime. This won't work if the men come home from shul really late. Smile

Or if you are the type of family that enjoys lingering over each course Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 4:03 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
Or if you are the type of family that enjoys lingering over each course Smile

If we want steak Friday night we use skirt steak made immediately before shabbos and serve at room temp over salad.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 5:41 pm
Sous vide! Best piece of kitchen cooking equipment ever. Totally worth the investment.

DD's favorite Shabbos meal is steak.

makehappy

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 6:36 pm
Wow I have never posted a request for recipe yet this is my first but you women are all amazing. You really helped me.

I don't know the name of the piece in Hebrew its called steak Im etzem. It an amazing piece.
What type of marinating can I do and is it OK if I do he marinating in the morning and prepare the meat in the afternoon?
Regarding the covering for an hour in the oven at what temperature do you do it?

Thanks for all the tips and ideas

makehappy

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 6:37 pm
imasinger wrote:
Sous vide! Best piece of kitchen cooking equipment ever. Totally worth the investment.

DD's favorite Shabbos meal is steak.

What is sous vide?

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 8:01 pm
It's a device about the size and shape of a stick blender, that clamps to the side of the pot. You marinate your meat, seal it in plastic, being sure all the air is out. Fill the pot about half full of water, turn on the device to the desired temperature (recipes tell you, but it's lower than an oven), plop in the sealed meat and walk away for hours. If you want, you can search or grill the meat for a minute or two at the end. Comes out perfectly, so tender every time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics