Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Whats the current reccomended sleep position?
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:49 pm
My baby is a little over a month and literally hates the crib. The minute I put her down (on her back or side swaddled) shes up. After fighting back n forth for hours each night I end up sleeping on my back with her on my chest. I think she would probably sleep better on her belly. Is that still a no-no?
She also sleeps great in the doona during the day, would it be ok for the night?

(Anonymous because ive been asking around irl)

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:57 pm
BACK to sleep

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 9:59 pm
I would sooner let her sleep in the Doona (not good for spine) than let her sleep on her tummy (risk of sids).
Maybe try a bassinet; that's cozier than a crib.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:09 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I would sooner let her sleep in the Doona (not good for spine) than let her sleep on her tummy (risk of sids).

Its a portable crib right near my bed. It has a very very firm mattress, that seems to be part of the issue. Il
Im extremely uneasy sleeping with her in my bed so im barely getting any shut-eye .
I just asked about the tummy because I wasn't sure if BACK to sleep was still the reccomended thing.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:13 pm
I put my kids on their tummy. Don't tell anyone. For the first 2 weeks, I am super nervous until they have strong head control and I keep waking up to make sure they are ok. My kids don't sleep on their backs for long and on their stomachs for a couple of hours. Tight fitted sheet is very important.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
I put my kids on their tummy. Don't tell anyone. For the first 2 weeks, I am super nervous until they have strong head control and I keep waking up to make sure they are ok. My kids don't sleep on their backs for long and on their stomachs for a couple of hours. Tight fitted sheet is very important.

I dont think I'll get any more sleep worrying than I am getting now with the crib fight..... how about the doona? Is that safe?

Raindropsonrose

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 10:55 pm
Babies shouldn't be in a car seat for extended periods of time. I know it's hard--hang in there!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:04 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

A baby doesn't have enough neck support to sleep upwards in the car seat- they can cut off their airways by slumping their heads down. Would NOT recommend.

Shabbosiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:33 pm
"Back to sleep, tummy to play"
I personally put my babies to sleep on their stomach once they pick their heads up. They sleep better and prefer it. I keep them right next to my bed in a bassinet with a very fitted sheet and check on them regularly. Sleeping with a baby on you is VERY dangerous, I would think equal to or more than sleeping on his/her stomach. The baby can fall of the bed ch'v, or be crushed if a parent rolls over. Or slip down under the blanket.

Shabbosiscoming

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:35 pm
And if course I don't swaddle when they are on their stomachs

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 31 2017, 11:40 pm
Sleeping in the carseat isn't the greatest thing, but a mother who isn't getting any sleep for days on end can be detrimental to a newborn's well being. I would put the baby in the carseat if I was desperate for some shut eye. Do you have a swing that reclines? I let my last baby sleep in her swing many nights, and it was much less upright than a carseat.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 7:35 am
Shabbosiscoming wrote:
"Back to sleep, tummy to play"
I personally put my babies to sleep on their stomach once they pick their heads up. They sleep better and prefer it. I keep them right next to my bed in a bassinet with a very fitted sheet and check on them regularly. Sleeping with a baby on you is VERY dangerous, I would think equal to or more than sleeping on his/her stomach. The baby can fall of the bed ch'v, or be crushed if a parent rolls over. Or slip down under the blanket.

I know that it is not safe, and im trying to find a solution. I have a queen size bed so its highly unlikely that she'll fall off the bed. When shes in my bed for feedings I keep the duvet only till my knees so that there's no risk there.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 7:41 am
on their back in the crib without anything in the crib- no blanket, decorative pillow, crib bumpers, toys or anythign else. You can swaddle them.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 7:42 am
nicole81 wrote:
Sleeping in the carseat isn't the greatest thing, but a mother who isn't getting any sleep for days on end can be detrimental to a newborn's well being. I would put the baby in the carseat if I was desperate for some shut eye. Do you have a swing that reclines? I let my last baby sleep in her swing many nights, and it was much less upright than a carseat.

I have the mamaroo which shes not very content in either. The doona is very snug with the infant insert, I guess she feels held. The doona with the wheels extended is not as upright as a standard carseat, more like a stroller in a semi upright position. Still not ideal I know.

Im just gonna keep at it, fighting to get her to stay in the crib, inevitably I do end up falling asleep during feedings and she ends up in my bed at the end of most nights .....

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 8:26 am
I put my babies on their tummies during the day.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 8:53 am
All my babies sleep on their tummies from when they are 2 weeks. I usually get 7-9 hour stretch.
I am just curious when there are r"l sids deaths is it from the child sleeping on their stomach? I've heard that is was carseats or children not necessarily on stomachs. I would love to see proof that sleeping on stomach actually is the cause.
There are precautions that I take that I believe are helpful
1) vey tight fitted sheet
2) absolutely nothing else in crib (bumpers, blankets)
3) 1 blanket tucked tightly under my baby's hands
4) I put a towel under mattress at baby's head to give it a little elevation
5) pacifier sucking is known to help

Everyone has to do what works for them, but I believe the quality of sleep for both mother and baby is incomparable. That's besides for fact of flat headness and better core muscles....

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
All my babies sleep on their tummies from when they are 2 weeks. I usually get 7-9 hour stretch.
I am just curious when there are r"l sids deaths is it from the child sleeping on their stomach? I've heard that is was carseats or children not necessarily on stomachs. I would love to see proof that sleeping on stomach actually is the cause.
There are precautions that I take that I believe are helpful
1) vey tight fitted sheet
2) absolutely nothing else in crib (bumpers, blankets)
3) 1 blanket tucked tightly under my baby's hands
4) I put a towel under mattress at baby's head to give it a little elevation
5) pacifier sucking is known to help

Everyone has to do what works for them, but I believe the quality of sleep for both mother and baby is incomparable. That's besides for fact of flat headness and better core muscles....

Since the "Back to Sleep" campaign started in 1992, SIDS has dropped in the US by 50%. So with all the disadvantages of putting a baby to sleep on their back, I prefer not to take the risk. My baby slept on his back until he was able to roll over to his stomach. It's just easier on my nerves.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 10:24 am
smileforamile wrote:
Since the "Back to Sleep" campaign started in 1992, SIDS has dropped in the US by 50%. So with all the disadvantages of putting a baby to sleep on their back, I prefer not to take the risk. My baby slept on his back until he was able to roll over to his stomach. It's just easier on my nerves.

I'm wondering if this is because in the 1950s, there were other "stuff" in a crib, loose sheet, bumper sets, among others for a baby to get tangled in. I think the awareness of SIDS has made moms more aware and more careful so that could also be a factor into the drop.

I 100% understand those who stick to sleep to back method, and everyone should do what they believe is safe.

I was just stating what I do and that recent sids cases that I heard about were not as a result of child being on stomach.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 10:25 am
My baby also doesn't sleep until she is with me on my back and she's on me. As soon as she's asleep I put her straight into the bassinet on her back ONLY. Maybe you could put the baby to sleep first with you and then put her down. Will she wake up if you try that?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 01 2017, 10:38 am
smileforamile wrote:

There are many things that changed medically since 1992, besides for back to sleep. So for example there is a lot more screening before babies leave the hospital. The study doesn't prove anything in my opinion. Maybe birth control, or help for new mothers is more available now to those that don't have the proper living conditions for an infant? Who knows.
Also, the study does not compare those children who are on backs to those who are on stomachs. So there are too many variables here to make a proper assessment.
Even when children are on backs - if there is even a blanket in the crib, or a stuffed animal, it's all grouped together in one category.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics