Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
DH and I in chinuch - late pay checks are ruining us Vent
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:12 am
I am distraught right now. We are going into financial ruin because of our late pay checks.

Some background. DH and I are both in chinuch. He is a rebbe and teacher and I am a teacher. We both work in Brooklyn yeshivas. There is nothing else we'd rather do. Teaching is our passion and educating the next generation of Jewish children is what we are meant to do. We both work full time in different yeshivas and we are owed a lot of money. It's September now and we are starting the school year again. We are both owed for multiple months from last school year. Every time we ask our schools, they give us the run around or just ignore texts and calls. (One school kept on repeating that they have no money but I know from the secretary they paid all their other bills on time. I guess that left no money for the teachers.)We are owed thousands upon thousands of dollars, a large chunk of our income. Technically, according to how much we make, we should be living comfortably. Instead, we are living paycheck to paycheck. We've used up our savings to pay our bills and we can never reimburse the savings because of this cycle. Once we get a paycheck we use it to pay our existing bills. We switched schools a few times since we thought that some schools would pay on time. So far, this hasn't happened.

I really don't know what to do now. I wish I can say to these school administrators that they are making my family suffer. We live paycheck to paycheck because of them, what do they think happens when we are missing multiple checks? I've told my school that I can't pay my bills, it never makes my check come faster. What is wrong with these schools that they can't pay their teachers? In every school even with some students paying discounted tuition, there are parents paying full tuition. I understand there are many bills to running a school, but why is paying the teachers the last priority? It should be the first. The teachers need their paychecks before the electric company, you can make an arrangement with a big company. Teachers don't have that luxury. So many people that would prefer to work in a yeshiva, aren't because they know how bad the pay is and how late it comes. I know of many schools that are still looking for teachers to start next week or schools that just hired teachers this past week. Why doesn't our community try to fix this problem? We are the ones that are responsible for your child's Jewish education. We are the ones that spend countless hours preparing and teaching your child. We are the ones that spend most of the day with your child. Yet, we can't afford to live because we get paid so little and so late. I'm at the point of thinking of finding a different job even though this is what I have spent many years doing and my degree is in.

I know that working for the BOE is a great option but it's very difficult to get a job and even if I do, I can be placed anywhere. At this point I think I may have to switch professions and I am so upset. Teaching Jewish children is my passion, I can't imagine doing anything else. DH was born to be a Rebbe, it's not an option for him to switch. It's up to me but I really don't want to. I know some reading this may be wondering what the big deal is to do something else. But, imagine that you were born to do something. You are very passionate about doing it and you are very good at it. You find it exciting and rewarding and you know that you are making a difference in lives every day. You are having a long term effect on people's lives. You are helping children reach their potential. Now imagine that you can no longer have this impact and enjoy what you are doing because most schools don't have their acts together. You have to change jobs and do something much less rewarding, more boring, and something you're not passionate about. It's devastating.

Sorry for the ramble. I really am upset. I wish things would change.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:19 am
To add fuel to the fire, I'm going to say that the administrator/principal and other people in important positions are getting THEIR pay, and a fat cat salary at that.

Every word you say is true and it's a terrible situation. I am surprised to hear that the rebbe/DH isn't getting paid as well - I thought they only did that to the women. Guess not.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:26 am
OP
Yes, the administrators get paid much much more.

Also, another issue that's arising is this issue is driving so many people away from education. These schools are getting desperate and are hiring inexperienced teachers or young girls that are just out of high school. I know many schools that have resorted to doing this. This is lessening the quality of the education our children are receiving.

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:31 am
The problem is with the parents who won't pay their tuitions but have money for large houses, luxury cars, new sheitals, "mandatory" vacations, designer pocketbooks, new jewelry, etc. They are busy keeping up with the Goldbergs while the teachers' finances sputter.

I wrote about one school I know where the teachers didn't get paid for a year, but 93%of the girls went to Florida. This year, the trips are to California while the teachers are not paid.

Perhaps your school already made a deal with the utility company. There are some bills you can't be late with like a mortgage which has monetary penalties.

Frum values are skewed wrong. There is too much emphasis on conspicuous consumption.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:35 am
these schools don't sound frum to me - this is a serious Halachik issue.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:36 am
First of all, Kudos to you for the incredible work that you do on behalf of our precious kinderlach. If it helps, I can give you a glimpse into the world on the other side of the desk.
My husband is a school fundraiser and we are on its board. The board has often pledged its determination to cover payroll before all else. They try but sometimes it is impossible. Utility companies and other suppliers will only extend their courtesy to a certain extent. Schools cannot function without power or paper. I pity the administrators too. Contrary to the opinion of some, they do not pocket a fat paycheck at the expense of the poor teachers. The people I know take their pay last, and still have to face the (rightful) angst of the teachers. It is a huge problem with no easy solution. Parents are maxed out and fundraising is only a partial solution.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:39 am
I think you should contact the rabbinical board, or the Rav that the school consults (if it's a right wing school, they probably have one). Make a stink!! This is totally not acceptable, and needs to change. This is embarrassing to the school and they know it.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
First of all, Kudos to you for the incredible work that you do on behalf of our precious kinderlach. If it helps, I can give you a glimpse into the world on the other side of the desk.
My husband is a school fundraiser and we are on its board. The board has often pledged its determination to cover payroll before all else. They try but sometimes it is impossible. Utility companies and other suppliers will only extend their courtesy to a certain extent. Schools cannot function without power or paper. I pity the administrators too. Contrary to the opinion of some, they do not pocket a fat paycheck at the expense of the poor teachers. The people I know take their pay last, and still have to face the (rightful) angst of the teachers. It is a huge problem with no easy solution. Parents are maxed out and fundraising is only a partial solution.

Your husband is a paid (?) fundraiser and sits on the board? That's a major conflict of interest.

If there is no money for teachers - the board should be taking out personal loans to cover. No excuses.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 7:59 am
can you switch to a different "type " of frum school or a different location either by travelling outside of brooklyn or by moving- I have a feeling that not all "frum" schools think it's ok to pay their teachers late. I think in Brooklyn it's more acceptable since they figure they'll be able to find teachers who are willing to put up with it. Sick I know Sad

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
Your husband is a paid (?) fundraiser and sits on the board? That's a major conflict of interest.

If there is no money for teachers - the board should be taking out personal loans to cover. No excuses.

Regarding your first point, I'm not sure I understand. His presence at every meeting of the board is crucial to any financial plans or goals that are set. He works together with the rest of the members to plan projects and other initiatives. It is a team effort.

Your second point is a sensitive one for me personally. Every member of our board has taken out personal loans. My husband and I have 50 000$ in lines of credit that we are trying to pay down, because we know that the school cannot repay us anytime soon. Most of the board is composed of successful (and very busy!) businessmen who volunteer their time , expertise and money for the good of the klal. They should be appreciated, not vilified.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
Regarding your first point, I'm not sure I understand. His presence at every meeting of the board is crucial to any financial plans or goals that are set. He works together with the rest of the members to plan projects and other initiatives. It is a team effort.

Your second point is a sensitive one for me personally. Every member of our board has taken out personal loans. My husband and I have 50 000$ in lines of credit that we are trying to pay down, because we know that the school cannot repay us anytime soon. Most of the board is composed of successful (and very busy!) businessmen who volunteer their time , expertise and money for the good of the klal. They should be appreciated, not vilified.

There is a difference between sitting on a board and attending meetings. I'll take it your husband does the latter.

A school that can't afford teachers should close. A school is nothing without teachers.

Yes this does happen.

It remains inexcusable not to pay your workers.

tf

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:34 am
How about switching to a similar field? Maybe teaching kalla classes, parenting classes, social work? Something that you can do what you are destined to do, and still pays normally?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:45 am
This sounds like the classic definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again the same way and expecting different results.

I admire your commitment to teaching perhaps you can look for another school that has a more stabile financial model ie. one that doesn't depend 100% on donations and tuition but has an endowment that provides financial security. Or a job in public education, one that comes with a regular paycheck and benefits.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:46 am
I've been teaching for many years and BH never had a late check. It is simply inexcusable! And yes, I've only worked in regular BY schools. There must be someone (maybe in the Agudah or Torah Umesorah) that you can contact about this.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:50 am
Try teaching at an MO school, or the DOE.

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 10:59 am
amother wrote:

I know that working for the BOE is a great option but it's very difficult to get a job and even if I do, I can be placed anywhere.

The DOE doesn't place you anywhere. You have to apply to schools on your own, interview, and hope to get hired. It's worth a shot.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:01 am
Squishy wrote:
The problem is with the parents who won't pay their tuitions but have money for large houses, luxury cars, new sheitals, "mandatory" vacations, designer pocketbooks, new jewelry, etc. They are busy keeping up with the Goldbergs while the teachers' finances sputter.

I wrote about one school I know where the teachers didn't get paid for a year, but 93%of the girls went to Florida. This year, the trips are to California while the teachers are not paid.

Perhaps your school already made a deal with the utility company. There are some bills you can't be late with like a mortgage which has monetary penalties.

Frum values are skewed wrong. There is too much emphasis on conspicuous consumption.

Something is off here. Are you sure? If 93% go to Florida it is likely a well off school with very high tuitions. Normally these schools pay ontime. What neighborhood is this???

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 11:56 am
send an email erev rosh hashana

Subject Line: Erev Rosh Hashana
I am NOT mochel the money owed to me. This is thousands of dollars that is preventing me from feeding my children. Feel free to add whatever else you feel will make your case.

This should do it.

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Something is off here. Are you sure? If 93% go to Florida it is likely a well off school with very high tuitions. Normally these schools pay ontime. What neighborhood is this???

The parent body is well off. The school isn't.
The school is in Monsey. It is the case in Monsey that many schools don't pay or pay late. These are main stream (for Monsey) schools. Many of the teachers are the supporting learning husbands. Almost all the girls go to expensive seminaries.

Post Sun, Sep 03 2017, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
I think you should contact the rabbinical board, or the Rav that the school consults (if it's a right wing school, they probably have one). Make a stink!! This is totally not acceptable, and needs to change. This is embarrassing to the school and they know it.

What makes you think they aren't aware of this?

It is the parents who need to know what they doing to the teachers.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics