Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to tell tenant tactfully to clean a powder candy mess?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:29 pm
How do we tell our tenant tactfully to clean a sticky powder candy mess on carpet mats and carpeted steps that must have been left by their kids, because theres a trail from the ground floor entrance, all the way to their apartment on the top floor, going past all other apartments,

Theyre the only ones living in the house with small kids.

How long do we wait for them to figure out that they should clean it?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Sep 04 2017, 11:55 pm
You might have to wait a really long time. If it bothers you, tell them or do it yourself but it's probably not a good idea to wait.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 12:03 am
They are your tenant. Just ask them to please keep the stairs clean & clean up after their kids.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
You might have to wait a really long time. If it bothers you, tell them or do it yourself but it's probably not a good idea to wait.

Thats kookoo! Why set a precedent, that they make the mess and I'll clean?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 1:35 am
amother wrote:
Thats kookoo! Why set a precedent, that they make the mess and I'll clean?

I said the options are tell them or do it yourself. I don't see waiting for them to do it as a good option. Basically if you don't tell them, perhaps they'll never do it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 3:01 am
amother wrote:
How do we tell our tenant tactfully to clean a sticky powder candy mess on carpet mats and carpeted steps that must have been left by their kids, because theres a trail from the ground floor entrance, all the way to their apartment on the top floor, going past all other apartments,

Theyre the only ones living in the house with small kids.

How long do we wait for them to figure out that they should clean it?

Are they responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of common areas as per their lease?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 5:12 am
amother wrote:
I said the options are tell them or do it yourself. I don't see waiting for them to do it as a good option. Basically if you don't tell them, perhaps they'll never do it.

My question was how long to wait and how to tell them nicely to do something that they should have attended to on their own immediately.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 5:14 am
amother wrote:
My question was how long to wait and how to tell them nicely to do something that they should have attended to on their own immediately.

Do not wait. Tell them right away being direct and firm but keeping your voice casual

abound

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 5:23 am
Part of renting a house is that the common areas are cleaned by someone that the owners hire. (If I was in a situation where my children made an unusual mess then yes, I would clean it up.) But basic mopping etc. should be done on a biweekly basis by the owners of the place. Her cleaning up should not be something that is expected unless in her lease.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 5:28 am
abound wrote:
Part of renting a house is that the common areas are cleaned by someone that the owners hire. (If I was in a situation where my children made an unusual mess then yes, I would clean it up.) But basic mopping etc. should be done on a biweekly basis by the owners of the place. Her cleaning up should not be something that is expected unless in her lease.

Regular maintenance like dusting, mopping the floor and vacuuming is done by someone, but this is an unusual sticky mess. The mats look destroyed with ground in stickiness.

Anyhow, I dont think that applies to a 3 family house.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 5:42 am
Is it possible to throw the mats in the washing machine?

I think your choice is to either be straight with the tenants, or clean it yourself. No hinting or waiting is going to be productive.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 6:40 am
amother wrote:

It looks like you or your guests tracked something sugary out here. Would you please clean it up so it doesn't attract bugs? Thanks.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
Regular maintenance like dusting, mopping the floor and vacuuming is done by someone, but this is an unusual sticky mess. The mats look destroyed with ground in stickiness.

Anyhow, I dont think that applies to a 3 family house.

Of course it applies - you are the owner, they are a tenant?

If they destroyed property with irregular use (spills) they need to be told they are responsible for it. You've received some tactful suggestions I think.

Emotional

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 8:52 am
Years ago when I lived in Brooklyn, my sister brought me supper after I had a baby. On her way upstairs (3-family house), she tripped while carrying the supper, and chicken grease ended up on the carpeted stairs. My landlady was livid. I ended up scrubbing it out with some kind of stain-removing solvent.
I think my landlady could have been nicer about it and more accommodating and reasonable, but ultimately she wasn't wrong.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Sep 05 2017, 9:15 am
Ask them is it possible that your children left candy powder on the steps. If the answer is no then its no if its yes say if you can please clean it up thank you. That's all. But do it a nice tone of voice not accusing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics